_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Bronco's Chaffee
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 04:29 AM UTC
Here's my Bronco Chaffee. A really nice kit when finished, but can be a bit of a chore to assemble.

I added RB .30 cal barrels, various weld beads, and scratched some additional interior/turret details because the hatches are so big when posed open. Stowage is a mixture of bits, but mostly from Blast models. Eventually it will be mounted on a base with some figures.

Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 04:48 AM UTC
Looks fantastic Jesse. Not a fan of the over-all whitewash but oh well. Great interior work, looking forward to seeing it's base.
tankglasgow
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 05:07 AM UTC
Lovely looking wee tank, one of my top ten lookers. Nice job on the whitewash, hoping to achieve something like this on my Churchill soon, if it's any good I'll post some pics. Why a "chore to assemble" ?
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 05:08 AM UTC
I used this photo as an inspiration.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 05:22 AM UTC
Jesse what is your opinion on the build difficulty verse result? Aside from that I really like the finish you have achieved here
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lovely looking wee tank, one of my top ten lookers. Nice job on the whitewash, hoping to achieve something like this on my Churchill soon, if it's any good I'll post some pics. Why a "chore to assemble" ?

Quoted Text

Jesse what is your opinion on the build difficulty verse result? Aside from that I really like the finish you have achieved here

The result is VERY nice. It's a great kit, and I had a lot of references and the places to improve upon the kit are quite limited. It's a very accurate kit with a few easily fixable issues that have been mostly covered elsewhere.

The suspension is quite delicate, having very small attachment points, and is engineered to be workable, which only makes it more fragile.

The rear engine hatches and entire top of the rear hull is made up of multiple pieces that require a lot of dryfitting to get everything just right. It's not above the level of many modelers, but it will certainly test their patience.

And Bronco is not scared of parts counts. To give an idea, the turret traversing mechanism on the inside of the turret is made of 8 pieces IIRC, and is ~1/2" long (~12mm for you metric types). Just lots of small pieces, photoetch casting marks, etc.

But like I said, the result wit time is very very nice.
tankglasgow
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 06:57 AM UTC
Sounds my kind of challenge, think this could be a contender for my next one.

cheers Paul
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 07:27 AM UTC
Really great work! I think this is the first Bronco Chaffe I've seen finished. Looks like it's well worth the effort. Looking forward to building this one!

Cheers!
Stefan
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 07:30 AM UTC
Jesse, thanks or posting this. Very impressive finish. I'm just at the point of starting mine (ordering the Turret update from HK in the next day or so...) so, i'll build the hull/suspension in the meantime.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 11:00 AM UTC
Very nice build, Jesse.
Pytagoras
Visit this Community
Møre og Romsdal, Norway
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 11:30 AM UTC
Impressive! Whitewash is superb, too.

Do you mind sharing your photography setup?
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 11:33 AM UTC
Super job, Jesse. Look forward to seeing this up close at the next club meeting.
ElCapitan
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 12:15 PM UTC
Jesse,

Today I finished my Bronco Chaffee as well and found many of the same issues with the model, delicate attachment points, very high parts count, and an overly complicated build in some areas. But it does make a nice vehicle in the end. I didn't white wash mine, but I like how yours turned out.

Nice job.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 01:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Super job, Jesse. Look forward to seeing this up close at the next club meeting.

Thanks Tom! I had it at January's meeting, and it'll be at the show next weekend if you can make it.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 01:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesse, thanks or posting this. Very impressive finish. I'm just at the point of starting mine (ordering the Turret update from HK in the next day or so...) so, i'll build the hull/suspension in the meantime.

Once you get to the turret, it's mostly smooth sailing. The suspension and upper hull are the tough bits. FWIW, unless you have one of the initial release kits, the turret's been updated by Bronco.

That said, if you have an initial release, and don't want to mess with bringing it back to a full 'early' configuration, check out Tiger Model Designs' Chaffee turret: http://www.newtmd.com/M24-Turret-Backdate

No idea what shipping would be, but it's a reasonable base price for sure.

pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 01:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Impressive! Whitewash is superb, too.

Do you mind sharing your photography setup?

I made a little frame out of PVC from the local home improvement store, and then used white posterboard to create a backdrop. The camera is a simple Canon point and shoot, and I do use a tripod to get the shots as sharp as possible. I did a tiny bit of editing on the computer, to crop it, and get the background WHITE, and playing around with contrast and brightness and stuff. The computer part takes maybe 1 minute for each photo, and I'm by no means 'good' at doing that sort of thing.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesse,

Today I finished my Bronco Chaffee as well and found many of the same issues with the model, delicate attachment points, very high parts count, and an overly complicated build in some areas. But it does make a nice vehicle in the end. I didn't white wash mine, but I like how yours turned out.

Nice job.

Maybe one day I'll do an OD one, but I really liked the photo (posted above) and wanted to do the whitewash. It's a really neat kit, that I'm glad I'm done with.
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 05:17 AM UTC
Jesse
nice this will geat a gold just one think it might be the pic but look at the front right sprocket the tracks look like they are not right ?????
dave
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 06:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesse
nice this will geat a gold just one think it might be the pic but look at the front right sprocket the tracks look like they are not right ?????
dave

Which part doesn't look right Dave?
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 339 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 06:11 PM UTC
Looks great Jesse. Photography is terrific too...good depth of field which I'm still struggling with.

What method and/or products did you use for the white wash finish? I'm really sold on the AK stuff and just wondering if you used their new chipping fluid or did it old school with hairspray.
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 - 02:06 AM UTC
Jesse
if you look at the frount right sprocket it looks to me that the teath are not conpletly engaged with the tracks i'm just thinking AMPS
dave
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 - 02:07 AM UTC
hay have you seen the t-55 build i'm doing yet ?
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 - 02:12 AM UTC
I'll be there.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesse
if you look at the frount right sprocket it looks to me that the teath are not conpletly engaged with the tracks i'm just thinking AMPS
dave

Hey Dave,

The Chaffee's drive sprockets do look a bit odd. Here's a photo of the real thing.

http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/john_griffin/m24_chaffee/images/m24_chaffee_09_of_24.jpg

Of course, this Chaffee is equipped with the rubber block tracks, which used a slightly different drive sprocket, but even on these, you can see that the track seems to sit 'high' on the guide teeth.

Thanks for looking close though! Anything folks can spot now will only help this weekend. :)

Haven't seen the T-55 yet. Been busy actually modeling!
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great Jesse. Photography is terrific too...good depth of field which I'm still struggling with.

What method and/or products did you use for the white wash finish? I'm really sold on the AK stuff and just wondering if you used their new chipping fluid or did it old school with hairspray.

Hey Don,

Thanks for the comments on the photos... they come out decent when I setup my little photo booth and grab the tripod. A lot of my build pictures are just sitting at my bench with my camera phone.

I've used the AK weathering items before, and really like them. So I grabbed a bottle of the chipping fluid. It's the 'less chipping' type, not 'heavy chipping'. That said, this is the 2nd model I've tried it on, and the results have been pretty poor. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get a good finish using that stuff.

So I've stumbled myself into this technique. This is the 2nd time whitewash I've used the technique on. Basically, the base coat is Tamiya mixed with lacquer thinner. And I cover that with Future and do the decals (well, not in case because there were no markings based on photos), and then apply more Future. Then the white is Tamiya thinned with alcohol instead of lacquer. That lets me strip 'some' of the white off using a brush dipped in iso. alcohol, while leaving the base coat pretty solid. That way I have complete control over where/how the white comes off as it's a solid coat of paint, and not a coat of paint sitting over hairspray or some other barrier fluid.

_GOTOTOP