_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Signature line
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 01:08 AM UTC
Do not get me wrong, I am all for fun signature line, I like it so much, I take it as a place to poke fun or express something that I like to share with other member for inside jokes. But recently I saw a signature line from a member here has this

"My other toy has @#%s"

Seriously, this is offensive, I don't ride a holy horse, I talk about this in the chat sometimes, when there is no under age member presented with close friends, hell, we all do, as men sometimes. But to put it in the public, knowingly there is female members here? Come on! get a grip!, I don't give a dame what you consider to be your toy, this is just of very bad taste, and I for one, will be ashamed to be associate with any person say this or degrade women as toys!

Please, do change your signature line, you know who you are.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 02:11 AM UTC
I agree with you 100%. I believe we all come here for a free exchange of ideas, and to learn from each other. I also believe in freedom of speech, but along with that freedom of speech comes the conquequense of what I speak. Is it discouraging or discourtious or offensive to others? Might be a good question to ask before posting.
As a rather aged old man, I realize that "common sense" and good taste seem to have disappeared, and shock value have replaced good sense, good morals, and good character.
Well, that's my two cents.
And I do not engage in on line bickering, I simply say whether I agree or disagree with the original post, and I once again agree 100% with SS-74.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 02:13 AM UTC
Interesting observation.
I carefully reread the sentence and I try to find a clue about the gender of this "other toy". I find no indication that this "other toy" would be a human being to start with, and if such would be the case, I see no reason to conclude that this signatue line refers to a young lady. Until proof of the contrary, boys can have an (or a pair of ?) @#%s too.
I wouldn't advocate the use of such sig lines on Armorama. But I wouldn't advocate posts that draw particular interest to such issues either, if I could solve it with a simple PM instead.

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting observation.
I carefully reread the sentence and I try to find a clue about the gender of this "other toy". I find no indication that this "other toy" would be a human being to start with, and if such would be the case, I see no reason to conclude that this signatue line refers to a young lady. Until proof of the contrary, boys can have an (or a pair of ?) @#%s too.
I wouldn't advocate the use of such sig lines on Armorama. But I wouldn't advocate posts that draw particular interest to such issues either, if I could solve it with a simple PM instead.

Sorry General, I was very sensitive about spell the whole thing out, well, the original signature line says Tit$, now should I elaborate more for your better understanding?
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 03:08 AM UTC
ROFL !
There must be a few guys that would be better off wearing a bra, but your point is taken.
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,387 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 03:21 AM UTC
I think I have an idea who we are talking about, and as I've gathered there are more fishy things going on.

Kris
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 06:51 AM UTC
The Sig. line has now been removed..Jim
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 08:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ROFL !
There must be a few guys that would be better off wearing a bra, but your point is taken.

If you'd have read the post and seen his website or heard of it, you wouldn't have wrote that. This call sign has upset more than a few members and all though it could all be innocent, it would be a border line case and as such one that many would find offensive.
Glad to hear its gone, need to keep an eye on that guy i think.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 08:57 AM UTC
Martin,
I didn''t see the original post, just the one Dave started above. I only reacted on what was written above. I shouldn't have said the things I said to Dave, but I didn't know that the original text specified specific female body parts instead of the "@#%s" that Dave refered to. So I thought it was a bit childish of Dave to react against the use of the word "@#%s" whereas Dave just used those symbols to avoid repetition of the same word, etc, etc, etc.
I misinterpreted the situation and said something ladyy against a good buddy who does a lot for this web community (not to mention the sty he's in).
So without further ado : here's my apology :
Sorry Sorry Dave !
Da big bad mean Wolf
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 09:01 AM UTC
strange : the text says 'ladyy" where I typed " b i t c h y"

would the verb "to b i t c h" be a nasty word in English ?
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 09:32 AM UTC
one thing about language is: if you say or use a wrong word, no one forgets.

remember, there are others present who would appreciate a little discretion(even though i sometimes violate this).

Chris (++) Pig, in body only
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 11:37 AM UTC
Yep, Jan, apparently it is! I typed a post explaining how one usage of the word was acceptable in my house and the other could land you in court. Both examples were changed.

Well I guess I can't lady...

Shaun #:-)
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 11:46 AM UTC
I can always hide behind the excuse that English isn't my mother tongue, but in this case I was quite sure that the verb "to lady" is quite acceptable. Well.
This is what political correctness and Netnanny do to a language... brought us a new word.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 12:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, it is a word not used in polite company. A synonym would be to complain, to gripe or to nag.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 12:33 PM UTC
Indeed. There will be no ladying on this site.

Jim
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 12:55 PM UTC
Being a real lady's son, I wouldn't even think about using the word in a meaning that could offend some of our younger members. Not to forget older members like myself who have a heart situation and who have to be careful !
kglack56
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 07:30 AM UTC
Lady, lady, lady...

or, to quote Jerry Lewsi..."Hey Lady!"
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 08:11 AM UTC
And here's another thread that just needs to be deleted by the moderator. Pointless discussion since the offender has been removed from our site and did remove the offensive signature line.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 09:16 AM UTC
Full moon on this site I'm thinking. I remember when the heated arguments centered around actual modeling, after the justifiable homicide of the "Currents Events" forum. I know that I am new here but the "CF" forum taught me to keep it on topic and keep my mouth shut.
Mods, kill this thread...

Shaun
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the verb to lady, no I would say not.But as noun to refer to some one as,I would say yes.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 10:29 AM UTC
I'm sorry guys. "Quit your ladying" just doesn't carry the weight that it should.

Patrick
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sorry guys. "Quit your ladying" just doesn't carry the weight that it should.

Patrick

Gee, I kinda agree.

I can see that four letter words don't belong here, but the 'b' word doesn't seem that offensive as long as it is not used to describe a female type person or their personality.

Not that it's polite to use it at all, but it's scarier to me that the computer automatically filters it...

Is there a list available of all the words that are filtered? Because, I think I tried to use the dreaded cr#p word to describe a kit and it was automatically changed to poo poo or some other silly thing.

Steve
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 01:59 PM UTC
It is a shame that many on this site are so insensitive as to use certain words or phrases that may seem distasteful towards the weaker...er....i mean OPPOSITE sex. I really wish y'all would stop.

Now, Jim, when should I be receiving my "I have a date with a hot model" t-shirt?

kglack

hehehe
 _GOTOTOP