AFV Club M42 Duster Photo-etch yet?
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 03:40 AM UTC
Hi,
Is there any news on whether a manufacturer will be releasing a photo-etch set for the AFV Club M42 Duster on the horizon?

Joe.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 03:53 AM UTC
I have been wondering the same thing. I haven't seen anything as of yet on eduard, ET Model or Voyager
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 04:28 AM UTC
Pity...
Come on guys! Listen to your customers!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 04:44 AM UTC
One will be released the day after I post pictures of my finished M42. You can count on it.
Joel
jwest21
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 06:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One will be released the day after I post pictures of my finished M42. You can count on it.
Joel

hurry up!
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 06:41 AM UTC
Honestly, the kit is that good enough where you might not need aftermarket stuff. I'm also told that to improve some areas like the like guards and other small stuff the Eduard set designed for the Tamiya Duster will work with some minor modifications.
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 06:30 AM UTC
Bit of a surprise that we haven't see a PE set yet from any of the big AM companies --- no matter what the quality of the kit, there always seems to be a couple of PE/AM options for most of the kits out there.

While it's not a PE set, Verlinden did release a resin partial interior set for the Duster's driver's compartment.

http://www.verlindenonline.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2196

Joe, let us know what the quality of the Hobby Fan figure set is like when you get 'em, if you would.

Nice to see a new M109 and M48A3 in the AFV Club pipeline --- now if we can only get AFV Club to release an LVTE1 "Potato Digger"!! And speaking of AM sets, conversions, etc. I'm still surprised we never saw a conversion set for the LVTP-A1 to create the LVTE1 since we never got the actual kit... Okay, that's it for my little Off Topic detour...

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.

trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
Is there any news on whether a manufacturer will be releasing a photo-etch set for the AFV Club M42 Duster on the horizon?

Joe.

Joe,
you need pictures?
glt
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 10:00 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies.
Johnny, where did you find out about the M109 & M48A3 from AFV Club?
I'll let you know about the Hobby Fan set as soon as I get it, mate.

Gary, yeah, some pictures would be good buddy. Thanks a lot!!!

Joe.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the replies.
Johnny, where did you find out about the M109 & M48A3 from AFV Club?
I'll let you know about the Hobby Fan set as soon as I get it, mate.

Gary, yeah, some pictures would be good buddy. Thanks a lot!!!

Joe.

I guess you still have my email adress? If not P.M. me and I'll start the stream of photos (probably forty or more)
gary
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 06:16 AM UTC
Can I ask an honest question though? Do some of you feel sometimes the aftermarket photoetch craze is a little over kill? For example there are some parts on certain spots where the AFV duster could use thin parts, like the light guards, and around the storage bins and spare barrel racks. But other areas don't need it at all.

I look at all the Eduard sets that come out relatively quickly after kits are released, and most are good, but there are some things on them that make no sense. For example Eduard makes flat ammo belts. Who wants flat rounds? Some of the other stuff I've seen replaces kit parts and in some minor instances the kit part turns out to be better or more accurate.

In any event I'm not knocking it, and in many instances PE is a life saver, but I still feel sometimes it can be over kill.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can I ask an honest question though? Do some of you feel sometimes the aftermarket photoetch craze is a little over kill?

Absolutely. A few years ago I built a Skybow M41 light tank and bought the Eduard set for it. After awhile I noticed that there were a lot of wasted parts on the Eduard set, so I started counting. I forget the exact numbers, but it was something like 20% were worthwhile replacements for the kit parts; 10%-20% were for a version I wasn't building (the ACAV); and the remainder were either out-and-out wrong or were intended to replace kit parts that were better representations of the real thing than the PE.

I think they just want to pump up the parts count, or fill up the sheet. I thought the old Eduard sets with one or two smaller frets of parts that were really needed were a lot better.

KL
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 08:21 AM UTC
Heya, Joe,

The M109A2 is already out on the market and AFV has indicated an M109A6 on the Perth site...

I saw sprue shots of the M48 on AFV Club's Facebook page if I remember right (sorry, not at home, so I can't look it up).

And I agree with James and Kurt --- from my perspective the PE thing can be overdone, replacing what I feel are some perfectly good parts...or parts which would be great with as much or little effort as PE assembly requires. I've never used all of the parts in a PE set and do not know anyone who has (I'm sure they're out there!)

I'm no master scratchbuilder (not even in my dreams), but, do to my budget I try to make as much as I can... I'm all in favor of the choice of a smaller set which includes a limited selection of PE parts.

To each his own, though --- any products and purchases that support the hobby, are always a good thing, if you ask me.

With Regards and Aloha

Johnny B.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 01:39 AM UTC
"Joe, let us know what the quality of the Hobby Fan figure set is like when you get 'em, if you would".

Hey Johnny,
My Duster crew turned up this morning so I thought I'd let you know what its like.
As usual with Hobby Fan the quality is pretty good. The faces are very ugly but the rest of the figures are great!
Should look nice once painted & set into the model.
Hopw this helps.

Joe.
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 07:58 AM UTC
Awesome! Thanks, Joe, the follow up is much appreciated...One more question, if you have gotten that far: how do they fit into the gun tub of the completed model?

Sounds like a worthwhile investment.

Thanks again, Joe --- have a good one!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 10:49 AM UTC
Johnny,
Actually, I haven't even started yet!!
My guess would be to start test fitting very early on - especially with the guy sitting down.
As you're building the turret keep fitting the seated guy to get the proper "sit", if you know what I mean!
Good luck, buddy!

Joe.
gatorbait
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 11:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"Joe, let us know what the quality of the Hobby Fan figure set is like when you get 'em, if you would".

Hey Johnny,
My Duster crew turned up this morning so I thought I'd let you know what its like.
As usual with Hobby Fan the quality is pretty good. The faces are very ugly but the rest of the figures are great!
Should look nice once painted & set into the model.
Hopw this helps.

Joe.

One of those figures is a dead ringer for a buddy of mine who was a Duster Crewman in C/1/44.

I like that kit a lot. As far as photo etch goes, the interiors of the stowage boxes on the fenders are about the only think i can think of. That and 40 mm clips to load rounds into.

All in all, a beautiful model of a great little track.
BigDaddybluesman
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 03:31 PM UTC
Those Hobby Fan kits are nice. I will probably go with Hornet heads, I consider them to be best. The Hobby Fan faces are strange. Most guys in Nam were in the 19-21 range and some of the faces look very old. The Hornet German faces look much more like Vietnam era GIs with the short hair and youngish faces.

The M42 kit really doesn't need much. I also bought the Verlinden M42 kits, one has 2 figures and a lot of ammo. The other has some stuff for the front driver section of the vehicle. I have yet to put one all together, just a little fitting. I also have the AFV ammo kits both brass and plastic as well as the Verlinden resin ammo so I'm set.

I want to do a pair together with some of those armored trailers. I just have to get all the pieces together and which unit I want to use.

I can't figure how they had a crew of 6 troops. Where did they sit? Not enough armor for protection when the bullets started flying. I felt that way driving the M113 and M577, lucky I never got shot at.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 07:17 PM UTC
No offence meant regarding ugly faces comment. What I mean is that the Hornet Heads sets work much, much better.

And regarding the PE - I only really wanted the PE for the stowage bins,likefor denting the lids, etc.

As for the numbers of the crew - I have always wondered where all the crew sits. I wanted to depict one of the M42's at Hue, RVN during the Tet Offensive '68 & there were plenty of bullets flying there! Where would all the crew go?

Joe.
bpunchy
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
Armorama: 199 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hi y'all , hi Joe ,

AFV Duster ?

Hmmmm , wasnt gonna start buying kits , was gonna build my stash .....

But ....a Duster ?

off to the hobby store I think , lol

joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 01:19 AM UTC
Hi Brian,
Yeah, I haven't built it yet but it looks very good. I bought mine a while back & looking forward to building it. I just have to finish up a project first.

How's that A-10 coming along?

Joe.
bpunchy
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
Armorama: 199 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 01:37 AM UTC
PM inbound !!!!
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 05:43 AM UTC
Heya, Joe!

A belated Thank You for reporting in the on the figures --- they sound like a "Must Buy"! I've got the kit as well and also have not yet started on it...

Will have to pick this set up, possibly the Verlinden interior set (depending on how I plan to display the vehicle)... And who knows, since Bravo Six did an Ontos crew, if we're lucky, maybe we'll see a Duster crew, too.

How are you planning on displaying yours? Yes, indeed, lots of diorama options (including Khe Sanh, which could be interesting combining Army and Marine figures in one dio)...

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on the build, Joe! Man, we sure waited quite some time for a new Duster --- looking forward to seeing some of 'em (including my own) built up!!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
gatorbait
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi y'all , hi Joe ,

AFV Duster ?

Hmmmm , wasnt gonna start buying kits , was gonna build my stash .....

But ....a Duster ?

off to the hobby store I think , lol

You won't be disappointed . I have the Verlinden interior and though not perfect, sure gives a nice basis to a AMS interior, or, for me, enough to see with that big door open.

You can use the rectangular "Navy" cans on the interior, behind the driver/RTO section leader. AFV club and Verlinden make them A couple of my 1/44 contacts stated that they pulled the RTO seat out to store more Ammo and sandbags on some of their tracks.

I'm surprised Bravo-6 Hasn't done something for this one as well.
gatorbait
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Heya, Joe!

A belated Thank You for reporting in the on the figures --- they sound like a "Must Buy"! I've got the kit as well and also have not yet started on it...

Will have to pick this set up, possibly the Verlinden interior set (depending on how I plan to display the vehicle)... And who knows, since Bravo Six did an Ontos crew, if we're lucky, maybe we'll see a Duster crew, too.

How are you planning on displaying yours? Yes, indeed, lots of diorama options (including Khe Sanh, which could be interesting combining Army and Marine figures in one dio)...

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on the build, Joe! Man, we sure waited quite some time for a new Duster --- looking forward to seeing some of 'em (including my own) built up!!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.

I found a photo of a pair of P-5s and a Duster in what appears to be a dry rice paddy. You can also do a pair of Dusters and Gun trucks in Hue as well.
 _GOTOTOP