Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya M4A1 with foliage and crew
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 08:13 AM UTC
Three crew members added, two more to go. The one placing the conifer branches on the glacis sandbags is a resin figure from GasoLine, the other two are white metal Dartmoor ones . The one carrying the branches is intended to be carrying a jerry can. The saw in his left hand is from the Hauler Pe set for the Gaz 67b. The track tension adjuster is from the Dartmoor US tankers white washing set, but I replaced the broom he is supposed to be holding/pushing with the track adjusting wrench (Hobbyboss-bigger than the Tamiya ones)and positioned him as approaching the idler adjusting bolt. The foliage is from Hudson and Allen. This is a "frankenkit" as it combines Bandai bogie assemblies with Hobbyboss intermediate track skids and Tamiya bogie wheels. An resin Iron Division Lima rear engine plate with round transition section was used instead of the Tamiya part. As a Lima prod. I needed to do the eccentric rear light guards for this but it was not as difficult as I had anticipated. The ration box is a long OOP paper product from DIOart. The barrel cleaning rods are from one of the HobbyBoss kits. An RB barrels .30 cal was used for the co-axial position. Bits and pieces of PE from Hauler, Aber and Eduard were used. The dirt was made using a plasitcine-like molding clay, overdabbed with Tamiya textured mud/dirt coloured paint. Then, it was darkened and given tone using Burnt Umber and Raw Umber water colours. The tankers faded jackets and overalls were painted using a mix of Vallejo English Uniform Khaki and Stone Grey.

russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 09:44 AM UTC
Very interesting. Not the usual poses we see. I like how it is coming along.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 10:09 AM UTC
If they're pulling a road wheel, they used a block under the unsupported arm to keep the arm from falling, which it otherwise would have.

Also, where's the rest of the track?
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 10:29 AM UTC
A block is a great idea. Was there a standard dimension? or any block of wood will do? The rest of the track will be added slowly, some new, some old, and mostly in smaller sections and individual links, but not all of the track. The rest of the track and the right side drive sprocket are intended to be just outside the section of the maintenance area depicted.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 05:18 PM UTC
http://archive.org/stream/Tm9-750MediumTanksM3M3a1AndM3a2#page/n47/mode/2up

Check out the Tech manual for the M3 medium, page 97.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 12:57 AM UTC
Hi Glenn: May I make a suggestion? Remove all of the track. There's no reason why a maint crew would disconnect links or sections unless they meant to replace damaged/worn pieces. The work is extremely difficult and no one would do extraneous work. Also it seems strange that the guys would be hanging around w/their Ridell tank helmets too. Hope this helps.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 01:15 AM UTC
I am planing to add track segments fore and aft of the long sections as well, with the crew working to replace sections, or replace all the links in small segments at a time, but I also like the look with no track and I have to play around with the setting until it looks right. As for the helmets, that is how the figures are molded and so I am using what have to work with. The choice of desirable figures (ie US/Allied tank maintenance crews) is limited in 1/48 and so artistic licence has to take precedence.
 _GOTOTOP