_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
SS rank requests
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 05:50 AM UTC
There won't be any German SS ranks available via the rank selection system.

The site owner has spoken.

Jim
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 05:56 AM UTC
Pleased to hear it....Jim

P.S. The British Ranks? When? How Many? How Much? #:-) Jim
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 06:03 AM UTC
Another "pleased to hear" over here...
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 06:06 AM UTC
...SS? Silly Servicemen?

JimB, there are only 4 non-com insignias that I know of! This causes a little problem as the ranking system here likes to have at least 10+. One of the ways this can be implemented is to add the Officer ranks in too. Hmm... I would like to find a source for more non-com insignias. Even something that adds a little medal or pin or anything within each of the four regular non-com ranks.
Any ideas?
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 07:08 AM UTC
Something about the British ranking system... conclusion...they have very few NCO ranks compared to the 10 we need....

http://www.packrat-toyz.com/Reference/british.htm

http://www.army.mod.uk/presscentre/badges/

scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 07:30 AM UTC
I'm with you Jim!!!
Ciao
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 08:25 AM UTC
Thank you JIM ! That's good news !
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 09:11 AM UTC
I never hesitated that.we know you will only give us the ranks we will be proud of.
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 09:18 AM UTC
Me too Jim,nice decision.
Arthur
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 09:25 AM UTC
totally agree with you jim, and the other posts here!

one thing, could you please sort out the british ranks asap please

cheers

joe
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 09:26 AM UTC
Regarding the british ranks, if you're looking for ten ranks may i suggest including Private and a rank which the Guards division use which is Lance Sergeant. Basically the guards equivelant of a lance Corporal is A corporal (two stripes) and the lance sergent (3 stripes - same as a sergeant) is the equivelant of a corporal.
So the ranking system would be
1. private
2.lance corporal
3. corporal
4. lance sergeant
5. sergeant
6. colour sergeant
7. Warrent Officer 2nd class
8. RQMS
9. Warrant officer 1st class
10. Regimental Sergeant Major

then perhaps from there the officer ranks could be used.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 05:51 PM UTC
STAFF JIM,
OK not a problem. I understand. Will be satisfied w/ my US ARMY rank.
panzerseba
Visit this Community
Vrancea, Romania
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 06:44 PM UTC
No SS ranks, ok.
But, why not German ranks of Heere?
We are rasists?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 06:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No SS ranks, ok.
We are rasists?

We will eventually have several ranks available for WWII German armed forces.

Stay tuned.

Jim
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 07:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No SS ranks, ok.
We are rasists?

I'm sorry, but I don't like the tone of this reply.... There was no need for that last sentence.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 01:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There won't be any German SS ranks available via the rank selection system.

The site owner has spoken.

Jim

Bravo Jim.

All SS were Nazis , and I think this is not a place to make Nazi apology.
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 167 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 04:02 AM UTC
Jim,

I guess we all hear what you say and agree with you (myself included). BUT we must remember that not all SS members were concentration camp guards. Some, especially the front line troops were just patriotic to their nation through to the bone AND it has been proven that nations of all sides did comitt attrocities at various times in WW2 - do we therefore ban allied WW2 rankings as well?. [I DO NOT want to start a flame war here ]

Would it not be better therefore to create national ranking systems that exist TODAY rather than cause any bad feelings by using some but not all ranks that existed during WW2 ie if you sign up to armorama today you will be ranked under the default system of the ranking structure that exists of your current national forces?

Considering how many armed forces exist in the world I feel that you will have your work cut out intrying to devise a ranking structure for each of them which again is why I would advocate just using the default system. What I do on armorama is tend to look at the rankings of people who post to the groups I read. I find that often the most sensible/informative/knowlegeable people are those who have been here the longest, are dedicated to the site and will give honest opinions (you all know who you are ) and they have been easily identified by name and rank. Now I find I have to check to see if it is the same person before I consider what they have had to say.

I would be interested to hear what other people think on this.

Lee

[DISCLAIMER - In this post I am not condoning the actions of ANY nation that commits attrocities during war time]
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 04:23 AM UTC
Twig,
While most of the members of Armorama are aware that the majority of the SS was a "legitimate" combat force, many other visitor would likey not make the distinction between concentration camp guards.
Therefore, it is best, as Jim has decided, to not include SS insignia.

Andrew

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim,

I guess we all hear what you say and agree with you (myself included). BUT we must remember that not all SS members were concentration camp guards. Some, especially the front line troops were just patriotic to their nation through to the bone AND it has been proven that nations of all sides did comitt attrocities at various times in WW2 - do we therefore ban allied WW2 rankings as well?. [I DO NOT want to start a flame war here ]

Would it not be better therefore to create national ranking systems that exist TODAY rather than cause any bad feelings by using some but not all ranks that existed during WW2 ie if you sign up to armorama today you will be ranked under the default system of the ranking structure that exists of your current national forces?

Considering how many armed forces exist in the world I feel that you will have your work cut out intrying to devise a ranking structure for each of them which again is why I would advocate just using the default system. What I do on armorama is tend to look at the rankings of people who post to the groups I read. I find that often the most sensible/informative/knowlegeable people are those who have been here the longest, are dedicated to the site and will give honest opinions (you all know who you are ) and they have been easily identified by name and rank. Now I find I have to check to see if it is the same person before I consider what they have had to say.

I would be interested to hear what other people think on this.

Lee

[DISCLAIMER - In this post I am not condoning the actions of ANY nation that commits attrocities during war time]

Many people cannot distinguished the Waffen-SS between the general SS, and not awared that many in the Waffen-SS were not even Germans. Nevertheless, SS did have a higher percentage of doing some very nasty thing, if I remembered correctly, the 5th SS Wiking was the only one that was relatively clean. So as much as I am a fan of Waffen-SS fighting powers, I think maybe it's the best to avoid SS ranks, too sensitive.

If you ask me to be 100% honest with you, I would say that if I had to make a choice between having SS rank or Red army rank, I would choose the SS rank, the soviet/communist regime had killed far more than Nazi ever did, and maybe 70% their very own people. But Soviet did won the war.
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 04:49 AM UTC
I have to agree with Dave on that one, if no SS ranks, no Soviet ranks either. Yes, they were bigger butchers than the Totenkopfverbande or Einsatzgruppen could ever imagine to be.

Check recently de-classified KGB files if you dispute this.

Chris
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 04:57 AM UTC
I think SS ranks are a bad idea.
Of course atrocities were perpetrated by some combatants of all nations (Allied and Axis). How's that for ripping open the can of worms?! (I need a new emoticon for this!)

Perhaps some Napoleonic or Roman ranks would be nice.

Cheers
Andy
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers
Andy

I agree.

Also no KGB ranks.

Jim
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 05:05 AM UTC
I could care less one way or the other about SS ranks or German ranks for that matter....I'm hoping to get Commonwealth ranks myself.....but in reading this thread it is starting to sound a little like censorship....it's like the Dragon box art that blots out the SS ranks....because it's blotted out does this mean it didn't happen.....maybe they want us to believe there never was an SS...you allow Dave to have the name SS but won't allow the ranks? It's all a little confusing if you see what I mean. Wasn't it Hitler who was condemed for his censorship of history books? Is this not a form of censorship of history?
I feel that if we are opening the doors to a ranking system from all Allied countries.....you should also incluse ranking systems from ALL Axis as well....no censorship.
*steps down from soapbox and trips* #:-)
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 05:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers
Andy

I agree.

Also no KGB ranks.

Jim

Hi Jim

Now you'll have to decide if you'll be Emperor or Duke!

Andy
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 167 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 05:09 AM UTC
Oberst, SS-74 and pak40 - I agree with you all. I probably didnt make myself clear in that I too DO NOT want to see SS ranks on this site. If nothing else it will offend some people and may fall foul of what can be displayed in certain countries, ie France and Germany.

I do stick to my guns though in that I think there should be no WW2 ranks - let us stick to modern times and run with that. After all where do we stop - WW1, Napoleonic, Ancient Roman Legions, Neanderthrall Man etc.

I have a horrible feeling that this ranking system is going to get out of control and may cause bad feeling between different nationalities. Can we not just stick to the default system and go with that.

After all I come here because this site is about MODELLING and not because I dont have enough stripes on my arm

Lee
 _GOTOTOP