_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
SA-6 KUB correction set from SP-Designs
PatriotaModels
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 03:34 AM UTC
Hi guys,

two weeks ago I received a small delivery from Sergej (SP-Designs). I´ve been waiting so long for someone doing a correction set for Trumpeter´s SA-6 KUB system, a set which is of good quality and affordable.
Well Sergej made my dreams come true, and I bet yours too.

I have ordered following items (all twice):

- corrected SA-6 lower hull,
- corrected SA-6 missile storage rack,
- correct SA-6 3M9M3 missiles.

First of all let´s have a look at the lower hull. As I always said, the guys from China are so accurate and fast in producing new kits, that big failures became to standard circumstances. People in Germany use to say:"Quality is important, not quantity." Thats´s something big companies should think about for the future.
Yeah, but thank God, there are modelers and small companies like Sergej from SP-Designs, doing nice and affordable correction sets in resin, and therefore they have my biggest respect and admiration.
The lower hull is casted bubble free, with all necessary details and of course, the main thing, correct length and attachment points for the wheel axes/arms. Well, when you compare both lower hulls, side by side, you can see how bad Trumpeter´s basic kit dimensions are, horrible.
Superb work Sergej !

The second thing, which is the biggest disappointment in the basic SA-6 kit, are definitely the rockets. The rockets from the basic kit have been designed without love and any accuracy. A lot of people say, Trumpeter scaled down rocket dimensions from dummies during military parades. I watched a lot of videos of military parades of Yugoslav, Russian and other armies, and no one had rockets that will match the dimensions from Trumpeter´s kit, for sure. Well, then take a look how Russian/Ukrainian modellers solve this problem.

Here´s a compare between Trumpeter´s and SP-Designs´s front fins. It seems to me, as if Sergej´s kit part is a bit to short in height. But maybe I´m wrong. I also have the Cromwell Models rockets in my stash, and their front fins are similar to Trumpeter´s.

Here are the rear fins. Dimensions and details well casted, according to the used rocket type offered in the conversion set.

Exhaust nozzles, very nice molded, easy in assembling.

And finally the SA-6 missile storage rack, corrected in dimension and details to fit the new and correct rockets.

Here´s my final statement. A very, very nice correction set for Trumpeter´s misshaped SA-6 Kub basic kit. Crisp and bubble free details, combined with an affordable price. For one complete set of lower hull, 3 missiles and storage rack you will have to pay only $49 + low or free shipping when ordering more sets.

Highly recomended !!!

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 05:01 AM UTC
Thanks for your first view of these sets Nenad. Sergej has really improved his casting process.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 10:05 AM UTC
I am not sure of other sites, but they are available from:

SAAMMODELS.tripod.com (I run this site) I can mail them in the USA, or you can order them from Ukraine with contact with me.

Hobbyeasy in Asia.

You can contact Ukriane, via SAAMMODELS website, to find other local sellers.

:)
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 11:19 PM UTC
These look superb! I need to find a European supplier of these.

Andy
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 03:53 AM UTC
To answer a couple of questions:

1. On the SAAMMODELS website, the SA-6 parts are listed on the detail parts page

2. The Missiles were designed on by 3D CAD and 3D printed. So they are correct.

3. Comparison of missiles,
SP Designs, Trumpeter, and Cromwell.

4. While HAD makes similar pieces, they are not direct competition. I want to make sure both companies are supported, link to HAD decals and resin conversion pieces

I know this takes a bit away from SP Designs, but I support the modeler first. And Sergej will forgive me.
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 11:25 PM UTC
So I email Sergej with what I want and my address. He gives me a quote (and quote number?).I then pay SAAMModels by Paypal, they tell Segej I've paid and stuff gets sent straight from Ukraine.

Have I got that right?

Regards,
Andy
spdesigns
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hi Andy
Yes,let me know what you need and I send you quote,then you pay by Paypal to Saammodels and I send you all what you need.
juge75
Visit this Community
Jasz-Nagkyun-Szolnok, Hungary
KitMaker: 843 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 01:37 AM UTC
Hello Serge!
Very nice work!
Finally, someone made ​​use of this idea! (whole chassis back).
The launcher also your mistakes?
Beams (on which the rocket is) between the incorrect size boxes ZIP Trumpeter kit.
The transportation, which will move the missiles, but the missiles closed so inclined, this is essentially a flexible, rubber bumpers, which stretched spring and bounce off the rocket before you move in almost the whole stand.
This plate is open (martial status) state is flat.

Vignette: Take advantage of our quietly decal, I think it fits.

Do you want to work with a SURN 1S91 (Straight Flush) conversion?
juge75
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 01:46 AM UTC

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 01:47 AM UTC
I am working to figure this out now. I will report when I have an answer.

Quoted Text

Will the Trumpeter tracks still fit the SP Designs lower hull now that the drive sprocket is relocated?

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 01:55 AM UTC
Juhasz, as much as I think we need to find you a better translator so we have a better understanding of the technical terms you are using, The translator you are using is hilarious! I will try this reversed from English to Hungarian for you.

Juhász, mint azt hiszem, meg kell találnunk a jobb fordító, így van egy jobb megértéséhez a szakkifejezések használata, a fordító Ön által használt vidám! Megpróbálom ezt a fordított angolról magyarra az Ön számára.

Quoted Text

Hello Serge!
Very nice work!
Finally, someone made ​​use of this idea! (whole chassis back).
The launcher also your mistakes?
Beams (on which the rocket is) between the incorrect size boxes ZIP Trumpeter kit.
The transportation, which will move the missiles, but the missiles closed so inclined, this is essentially a flexible, rubber bumpers, which stretched spring and bounce off the rocket before you move in almost the whole stand.
This plate is open (martial status) state is flat.

Vignette: Take advantage of our quietly decal, I think it fits.

Do you want to work with a SURN 1S91 (Straight Flush) conversion?

DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 03:13 AM UTC
Wow, I knew the missiles were off, but never knew the lower hull was so off too. Great work SP! If I ever get the bug to build another Kub I'll be sure do do it the right way this time.

Erik
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 03:14 AM UTC
I saw this on Hobbyeasy the other day and decided not to get it even though the price was reasonable since I thought to myself that it wasn't that "bad"....seen those photos has changed my mind!

juge75
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 04:11 AM UTC
Google translate - :-)

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 03:23 PM UTC
Here is the new hull with the upper hull glued on, the road wheel arms glued on, and the roadwheels on but not glued.

The picture is not perfect, it bends to the sides, so it would be bad to compare it to a real photo right now. I will try to get a better straight on shot later.

For the KIT tracks, Trumpeter has you use all but 3 individual links and one 3 length link for their lower hull. With the new arrangement, you need to add the 3 link length and 2 of the individual links to get the look in the picture. So, with all the links on sprue I in the kit, you are left with 1 individual link. I do not know how many links per side, (I am too tired to count them out right now), and I do not know how many or if enough links are in the ZSU-23-4 track set from fruil. Or, for the truly adventurous, using DML's links from their ZSU kit (but why???)

Holding the kit and comparing it to photos online, it looks A LOT better. The roadwheel arms fit fine, especially the first 2 and last one with the extra suspension. No shrinkage in the resin lower hull, and no bubbles. Looks like a great replacement piece.
juge75
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 - 12:31 AM UTC
Nice!!! :-)

KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 03:30 AM UTC
Jacques, is that the Trumpeter upper hull? It doesn't look lke their usual gray.

Also, is you track count total or per side? Sounds like an odd number that might not be enough.

KL
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 05:50 AM UTC
Kurt,

That is the trumpeter upper hull. The lighting for the "shoot" was not that great...I just wanted to get a picture out to answer questions.

For the tracks, Trumpeter uses link-n-length for the SA-6 (SAM-6 on the box...) kit. I set up the tracks as per the instructions. I had extra links, as mentioned, left over. I then fitted the tracks on the new lower hull and, of course, there was a gap. I has to use 2 individual links, and the 3-link length, to get what you see in the photo. This was all from 1 of the I sprues, so it would have been for ONE side of the vehicle. It should be reproducible for the other sides track run using the other I sprue. The point was that the kit tracks will work with the new lower hull even though the Sprocket is pushed further back.

I do not know if their are enough links in the Fruil metal tracks to do this, I am assuming so, but assuming can be a B.A.D. thing.

heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 604 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 10:39 AM UTC
The pictures look excellent! I never realized the Trump hull was that inaccurate.

regarding the friul tracks..the box lists 190 links. I used 90 per side..and had 8 left over per side. sounds like they would still fit w/ the stretch!

HTH
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 - 11:30 PM UTC
I received the hull direct from Ukraine this morning. It's well cast and will be a great improvement over the kit one.

Now can we have a new lower hull and rear plate for the Trumpeter T-62 please.
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now can we have a new lower hull and rear plate for the Trumpeter T-62 please.

I second this request! Plus a new lower hull with strengthened mounts for the swing arms for the uparmoured T-62 variants!

Thomas
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 03:45 AM UTC
thanks guys, now I can scrap my almost finnished model in the bin

affordable?
I bought the kit for 18 euro....

making funsoldiers depressed

_GOTOTOP