_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M3 Road Wheel question
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 09:13 AM UTC
Hi all,

Just curious. I am getting ready to do some work on the Academy M3 and was wondering if it is appropriate for the M3 to have a mix of the 5 spoke and pressed wheels? The directions only call for the 5 spoke, but thought it might be visually 'interesting' to have a couple of the stamped wheels on the kit.

Thanks.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 09:33 AM UTC
It's possible. But you gotta remember that M3 mediums operated in theaters with other M4s that had early spoke wheels too. No one can prove a negative but I'd say it's not very likely. I'm sure you can probably find a pic of a pressed spoke wheel somewhere (and they were issued with the later M3A4s with the swept back return roller bogies, too)
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 11:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's possible. But you gotta remember that M3 mediums operated in theaters with other M4s that had early spoke wheels too. No one can prove a negative but I'd say it's not very likely. I'm sure you can probably find a pic of a pressed spoke wheel somewhere (and they were issued with the later M3A4s with the swept back return roller bogies, too)

Pressed spokes were also issued to straight M3's, with the later version of the 'early' VVSS with the return roller above the bogie. These were seen in North Africa in combat, and in the British Isles for training in '42 and '43.
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 12:43 PM UTC
Jesse and Roy,

Thanks for the responses. I ended up going with all 5 spoke, because I did not see your response in time Jesse. I might end up doing that with my Brit Grant when I get around to it, assuming that option would still be appropriate.

Thanks again. You guys are great with sharing your knowledge.

John
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 01:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesse and Roy,

Thanks for the responses. I ended up going with all 5 spoke, because I did not see your response in time Jesse. I might end up doing that with my Brit Grant when I get around to it, assuming that option would still be appropriate.

Thanks again. You guys are great with sharing your knowledge.

John

Except the special versions like the CDL Grants seem to have 5 spoke. All the North Africa Grants are definitely 5 spoke.

By the way, it's probably better to stick with the 5 spoke, assuming you're using the Academy or Tamiya M3 kits. Both represent early M3's.
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 03:13 PM UTC
David Doyle's AF Visual - M3 Lee book states only Chrysler manufactured Lees got stamped spoke wheels . A good ID feature is a single horizontal rib on the VV suspension units .All Chrysler M3s in the book seem to be fitted with the longer M3 75 mm gun as well
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 04:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

David Doyle's AF Visual - M3 Lee book states only Chrysler manufactured Lees got stamped spoke wheels . A good ID feature is a single horizontal rib on the VV suspension units .All Chrysler M3s in the book seem to be fitted with the longer M3 75 mm gun as well

If you look at page 8, there's an early M3 with the short 75mm and 5 spoke wheels that's from Chrysler. And if you look at large overhead factory photograph a few pages forward, you'll see a mix of short barrel 75mm guns with the counterweight, and longer barrel 75mm guns as well. All of those have stamped wheels, but based on the time frame, that makes sense anyway. The first M4A4's that rolled off from Chrysler also had stamped wheels.

Grants and early Lees = 5 spoke
'mid' = seems to be a mix, probably just depended upon the supply of 5 spokes and/or manufacturer
Late and M3A4 = stamped.
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 01:35 AM UTC
Did they get mixed in the field repairs, like Shermans getting a mix of wheel types when repaired?
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 08:19 AM UTC
What I meant was they did not come from the factory with mixed wheels, right?
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 08:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What I meant was they did not come from the factory with mixed wheels, right?

Right, I doubt they mixed them at the factory. Maybe the 1 tank where they ran out of one design.
 _GOTOTOP