_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4A1E8
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 10:12 AM UTC
Does anyone make this kit ?

If not, who would you suggest to use for a kit bash. Ive always liked the merging of different shermans to make this version.

Thanks for your time.
multibank17pdr
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 10:55 AM UTC
Hello, I quickly tried To mix Tamiya M1 76 mm upper Hull with Tamiya M51 chassis and Its easy eight suspension and it did work... Not´ finished cause both kits were planed as OOB week-end projects. A regular m4a1 + a regular M51... But i guess it is the quickest and easiest Way To get an easy To build M4a1E8

Of course buying online all the Tasca components is also possible. Result should be even better. But the initial mix and match of tasca elements Will require an in-depth preparation. Mainly because Tasca online site for sherman part is a bit obscur at the begining.

Doing the same with different Dragon Sherman boxes is a third possibility. But pricey and for sure, not´ a shake and bake like Tamiya or Tasca...

Home this helps. Regards
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Of course buying online all the Tasca components is also possible. Result should be even better.

You will not be able to do it with Tasca parts - they do not make a large-hatch M4A1 hull. I would go with DML or Italeri hull and turret with Tasca or AFV Club HVSS.

KL
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 03:35 PM UTC
If you solely use the AFV Club HVSS, then you need to probably source Formations HVSS Idler mounts. The idler mounts were different than VVS suspension tanks.

The Tasca HVSS suspension and hull have the correct idler mounts.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 11:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you solely use the AFV Club HVSS, then you need to probably source Formations HVSS Idler mounts.

The AFV Club set doesn't include idler mounts? I did not know that. That stinks. Does it have a wider sprocket hub?

KL
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 04:27 AM UTC
If it was me, I'd get a painfully expensive Tasca M4A3E8 and then scour the auction sites for a cheap Italeri M4A1 for the cast hull. (My most recent one cost a princely £10 including postage!) A little trimming of the sponson floors to fit the rounded upper hull, maybe a little fettling of the turret hole to fit the superior Tasca turret, and you've got it made! Use the Tasca details (hatches, etc) rather than the Italeri ones because they are nicer...

From past experience of DML kits I'd steer well clear of them as a kitbashing source! Even when built OOB the fit of parts is ropey, and they aren't much cheaper than Tasca if bought new...
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 04:54 AM UTC
The lowest cost and most accruate soulution would be to get the Tamyia M1 Sherman kit and the Tasca HVSS supension and Track set. The Tamyia kit is a late production M4A1 (76) w with VVSS supension. The DML and Italeri kits are early production M4A1 76 (W). The nice thing about the Tasca suspenion kit is that it includes the extented fenders and new drive sprokets and is available with the T80 (metal chervron) or T84 (rubber chervron) tracks.

Regards,
Rod
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 05:18 AM UTC
The single items that separate the A1E8 from the A3E8 are the threaded "tube type" fender supports.

Although a lot of restorers used the A3 parts, making/scratch building them would look even better.

Here's mine from a few years back... in 1/16th scale:

Towards the end of the build I became lazy and wanted it finished, so I used the stock supports. But I am going to go back and change them.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6601231/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

~ Jeff
multibank17pdr
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 09:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Of course buying online all the Tasca components is also possible. Result should be even better.

You will not be able to do it with Tasca parts - they do not make a large-hatch M4A1 hull. I would go with DML or Italeri hull and turret with Tasca or AFV Club HVSS.

KL

Thanks Kurt for correcting me about Tasca Hull... It was quite late yesterday when i wrote this done... Tamiya M1 kit + tasca HVSS + tasca T23 turret or A beautiful Formations Models one Will be my choice for a M4a1E8.... Tamiya T23 turret two halves are not matching so Well...
Regards
multibank17pdr
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 10:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The lowest cost and most accruate soulution would be to get the Tamyia M1 Sherman kit and the Tasca HVSS supension and Track set. The Tamyia kit is a late production M4A1 (76) w with VVSS supension. The DML and Italeri kits are early production M4A1 76 (W). The nice thing about the Tasca suspenion kit is that it includes the extented fenders and new drive sprokets and is available with the T80 (metal chervron) or T84 (rubber chervron) tracks.

Regards,
Rod

Thank You Rod To make it straight and clear... I shall also do the same as you but, Certainly adding a Tasca T23 turret or a beautiful spare T23 from Formations Models I had saved for that kind of project. Fitting of the Tamiya T23 turret in the M1 kit is quite disapointing when You Know How good Tamiya is on that mater...

Regards
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Regards,
Rod

Thank You Rod To make it straight and clear... I shall also do the same as you but, Certainly adding a Tasca T23 turret or a beautiful spare T23 from Formations Models I had saved for that kind of project. Fitting of the Tamiya T23 turret in the M1 kit is quite disapointing when You Know How good Tamiya is on that mater...

Regards

The Tamyia M1 kit is new from the spoonsons up and is really not that bad it lacks a few details compared to the Tasca Sherman kits but nothing a good set of after market photo etch can't cure I like the voyager M1 set. I am currently working on a M1 Super Sherman (which is an M4A1E8) and this is the route I took.

Regards,
Rod
multibank17pdr
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 10:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.... From past experience of DML kits I'd steer well clear of them as a kitbashing source! Even when built OOB the fit of parts is ropey, and they aren't much cheaper than Tasca if bought new...

You are 100% Right.
Dragon's Sherman are often frustrating (fits, small mistakes, ageing VVSS suspension...), attention to details is not their strongest point. Tasca M4 are far ahead, so good that you got the feeling that they don't need you to come OOB so Well... An other kind of frustration for those who love to tame the kit they are fighting with. depending on my mood, I rather open a Dragon M4 or a Tasca one... Cheers
multibank17pdr
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 10:42 AM UTC
For sure, Tamiya M1 is a very nice kit. I was very Happy To see Tamiya-San offering new Sherman after all these years. I built one as a week end project to make a late M4a1 76 mm OOB and really enjoyed it. It now needs to be painted but my feeling is that I should start an E8 version before... Especially because my "painting-package" is half-burried in the cellar... a ready-make excuse to follow your recipe !

Enjoy your SuperShermy, regards
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 02:53 PM UTC
Wow. So many options.

Quick question. How about the recent tamiya release of the israeli M4a1??? Would that do as well though just. Having to replace the turret ?
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 04:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow. So many options.

Quick question. How about the recent tamiya release of the israeli M4a1??? Would that do as well though just. Having to replace the turret ?

Lou that is the kit I am suggesting you use as your base kit. Tamiya item number 35322, and the Tasca Suspension set item number 35-l35 or 35-L36 depending on the type of track you want.
sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 05:50 PM UTC
Hi Lou,

you can kit bash the Tamiya kits together to get an M4A1E8:

http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3170

Sam
 _GOTOTOP