_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M54 5-Ton Truck kit
S-Gundam
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:53 AM UTC
I am looking for either a kit of an M54 5-ton or scale drawings to build one for a guntruck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (:-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:02 AM UTC
Howdy S-Gundam,

First, allow me to bid you a warm welcome to the site! And secondly, just be patient for a wee bit and I'm sure, one of our resident GT experts will be right with you.

Tread.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:13 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama S-Gundam. Real models makes an M-54 conversion kit for the M-925 series kit by Italeri. I am not sure who still carries the kit. I can send you instructions on converting the M-35 seris truck to a M-54 five ton cab if you like. I have photos of the conversion process on my web page that you can access http://community.webshots.com/user/gtadw
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:24 AM UTC

................told ya.

Tread.
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:48 AM UTC
hehehe...that Animal...it's like he's waiting to strike at a moment's notice.

Get ya some of that.

kglack

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 01:24 PM UTC

...animal, I notice you use the Revell cab and not the Italeri cab for your conversion...why?
Also, I noticed the different coloured interior and seats, which interrior do you use?

Tread.

animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 03:31 AM UTC
I use to use the Revell M-34 cab but I now use the AFV Club M-35 cab for the conversion. The M-925 series cab is way too wide and and the M-54 cab is a stretched M-35 cab. The real trucks cab interior area is the same size for both the M-35 an M-54 the hood was lengthen and the fenders were widen for the five ton cab.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 08:05 AM UTC

You use the AFV cab?......doesn't that get expensive, or do you just use the whole truck instead of the Italeri?

Tread.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 11:03 AM UTC
I used one cab for the modifications and made some molds to cast them in resin. When I build a truck for one of my customers I use the modified AFV Club for the cab. I use the Chassis, suspension and wheels along with the modified cargo bed. The reason I use the Afv Club cab modified instead of a resin one is the detail is more crisp than a resin one. You will have to use the M-925 seris kit for the main portions unless you are able to cast all the parts from resin. I have not been able to do this yet. The M-34 cab conversion is the least exspensive way to make the M-54 truck. The interior is from the M-35 and 925 series combined.It depends what seat I want to use at the time. The pre cleaner canister is scratch built from Evergreen plastic stock as if the body armor, exhaust, gun mounts, ammo cans etc. You could build the chassis out of plastic stock. I have done this on a couple of occasions but I prefer to use the Italeri kit one. It is almost exact as the ones used on the 54. The cargo bed panels have to be cleaned up also. the 54 cargo bed did not have the rope tie downs and drain panels in the sides. I grind them out and inlay thin plastic stock to clean up the look. Of course the cargo bed floor has to be covered because Italeri molded in the wooden floor. The 54 an 900 series had steel floors. Easy to fix with thin stock. I am going to be making the Gun Truck Cold Sweat soon and I will take photos of the steps needed for the conversions. I will give all the measurements and see if I can get them posted as a how to article on the conversion.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 04:02 PM UTC

Many thx animal for the 'break-down', it helps quite a bit in understanding the process you use. Of course it also raises more questions as well! But then, that's the whole point , isn't it?
I have been fortunate enough to have had Gunnie's ear in the past regarding the conversion from M925 to M54....have you seen his method? I, and obviously many others here at Armorama consider you both the 'resident' experts on GunTrucks. I think it would be a swell idea if one or both of you could put together a comprehensive article on the proper build-up required to perform the conversion. Not only would we all benefit from the article, but you'd also probably see a lot more GT's being built because of it! Heck, ya never know. Seeing as how 'Murphy's Law' tends to apply to most things, the publishing of the article will probably force one of the manufacturer's to finally come out with an M-54 in kit form! You know that's how it usually works! #:-)

Tread out.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:51 AM UTC
We are in the process of just that Tread. It should not be too much longer.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 06:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We are in the process of just that Tread. It should not be too much longer.

Tread - "personal feelings time" here #:-)

I am going to work with and support Animal Dave on something to help you out here. I have pulled all virtually all the detailed information I had done on this conversion off the 'Net. I've sat on it a very long time because of experiences I had in the past, like Eduard lifting all of my information and research to produce a photoetch detail set - without even asking for permission. Flattering, yes, but a bit maddening too - watching someone else profit off of what you did to help others.

I bundled my information and specs into a package that I sent overseas to a major manufacturer for consumption instead. I figured if it was going to be copied - perhaps everyone should benefit from it in a more tangible way. Hopefully, enough interest will be generated to impress the marketing folks that this is a profitable adventure. If not, there's another manufacturer that I am even more excited about working with to see if it can be done. A process like this takes a long time - in this case five years. That the idea still has life is a testimony in itself.

I plan on supplementing the material that Animal Dave wants to put out there - it will be a nice and useful package. I'm happy he mentioned doing it - and happy that he asked me to help out.

We are now leaving Mr. Roger's Neighborhood...

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 06:09 AM UTC
Ah Geez Gunnie it is such a nice neighborhood too.. I am taking the photos of the conversion process and will have the measurements listed very soon.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 06:12 AM UTC
As Animal knows I'm waiting to help w/ the Drawings needed!!!!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 12:20 PM UTC
I sure would love to have an M-54 tractor kit in my colection without haveing to buy 6 kits to make it or one of those old resin kits.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 01:02 PM UTC

Simply put......you guys are the BEST!!! I count myself fortunate to have your council at all!!

Tread.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 10:41 AM UTC
M54,
Guntruck and Animals comments are EXACTLY why we must be careful w/ what we post on any web page. YOU INEVETABLY will be RAPED and taken advantage of. All of your
sweat and time building something and explaining how you did it will be stolen by someone else who has VISIONS of $$$$ at the least exspense to themselves.
This whole M54 conversion thing is really not that difficult nor exspensive to build. An M35 from AFV, and an M925 from italeri and LOTS of referance. Modelling skills and some , evergreen. You will have plenty left over for other projects and you really dont sacrafice anything, just to build (1) M54.
I dont say all this with not understanding what it takes to do it , so I hope Animal & Gunnie
dont take these comments the wrong way. I stand w/ them on their endeavors, Not Behind them.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 11:02 AM UTC
You are right on the fact that you can get "raped"of your hard work and infomation. But I want to help get the message out about the gun trucks. If by giving the infomation on how to convert the M-35 to M-54 will help members here to build their own and if some individuals try to cash in on our work and the big companies produce a injected mold plastic kit for all to purchase so be it. I get my satisfaction in the knowledge that I have a hand in it happening. I have tried to contact the model companies myself and have not received any responses from them. But Gunnie and Myself have been asked by fellow members of Armorama for the infomation. If I can help them I will. After reading your post it got me to thinking that I might not post the photos and instructions for the conversion. But this is not in my nature not to share. I have gotten so much from the members of this site and have learned so much more that I guess it will always make it worthwhile to press on with the how to article. I have started the conversion process and am photoing the results now. As soon as I finished a portion of this I will be sending the narritive to Gunnie for his expertise in making since of the instructions. But keep in mind that Gunnies project for The NBC Mem. is much more important and he must dedicate his time to this endevor first. Mat has volunteered to help with some of the drawings. I will be also posting photos of the process also.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 03:19 PM UTC
Howdy guys,

I really appreciate all the input on this subject...everyone's point has validity at it's core. I guess I'm torn in multiple directions. One; that the conversion should be documented for the good of all who can benefit by it's publication.....Second; that both animal and Gunnie should just simply 'package' a conversion themselves and market the bloody thing! (for the record, I'll take four (4) of them right away!), and Third; that as soon as both of them get serious about putting this all together, 'Murphy' will strike and a major manufacturer will come out with an injected kit immediately following all of animal and Gunnie's hard work !!!!!!!

I guess the bottom line in this whole 'thing' is, I believe both Gunnie and animal's true motivation is fueled by the simple desire to support the interest in, and awareness/building of, GunTruck models of any kind!! A genuine, and noble endeavor to say the least.
Please sign me up for whatever you bloke's decide. I'm on your team, I'll even buy the T-shirt. :-)
Oooooooooooh, a GunTruck T-shirt!........think of the possibilities! :-) :-)

Tread.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 05:15 PM UTC
M54,
ANIMAL, TREAD, GUNNIE,
I share your love and enthusiasm for making and building things such as this. The HELP and leadership,, and knowledge given by so few, does not have to be lost in refusing to SHARE w/ others as you (Animal) put it. The information and a how to scenario can be SHARED by all without jepordizing the intent. All this can be done on an email or postage mail basis without "showing your hand" to the dealer (public). What those people choose to do with it after that is up to them. And if you dont care about the production of "YOUR PRODUCT" by someone else than what can I say.
AFV has already ventured into this relm with the M35 Guntruck kit. So until the BEAN counters relize the similarity between the M35 and M54 , and the M925 parts usage,,,,,,,we
are left with GREAT MODELERS like ourselves to perform this masocistic surgery ourselves. AND QUITE FRANKLY I would rather spend the time and effort, and plastic on my own achievments rather then sending my HARD $$$$ to KOREA or CHINA.

I'LL get off my soapbox now. Thats just my view.
darkstar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 11:09 PM UTC
just a bit of food for thought for gunnie and animal..would be to colaborate in doing a conversion..how to manual..and privately publish it..possiably generating a cash incentive for the armorama web site and maybe twards..helping a good cause..but in process of publishing..it gets copy righted..and helps prevent pilfering by companys and gives you a leg to stand on so to speak..what ya think guys..and i also appreciate all the help i get from animal and gunnie and many others here...just wish they'd slow down on the ideas ..lol...my to do list is longer than the list santas checkin off twice...keep up the great endevors guys..i'm behind ya..all the way

Ray

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 05:09 AM UTC

That brings up a question...Does a webzine, or article published solely on the Internet have the very same copyright protections afforded the printed media?
I believe it does. In fact, didn't we already debate this issue some time ago?

Tread.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 06:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That brings up a question...Does a webzine, or article published solely on the Internet have the very same copyright protections afforded the printed media?
I believe it does. In fact, didn't we already debate this issue some time ago?
Tread.

Tread: The answer to your question is no. I have already had Legal representaion and council on this topic. Because of a product that I wanted to market for my Full Time Business.. This is how it was related from the lawyer: If you have the patent and copyright before you post it to a web......its yours, and all others who infringe can be sued. If you post anything on any web before YOU OWN the Copyright or Patent it is considered pulic domain and up for grabs by anyone ,who chooses to do what ever they wish.

DARKSTAR::: HAS HIT A HOME RUN. That is exactly what you can do to protect yourself yet
still share the topic. Nothing is lost or stolen. And for all those who want it, can get it. The kickback in this......is the fact that ARMORAMA and the Authors, (animal,gunnie) and the purchasers of the manual all BENEFIT.. OH and just for the record........ADD me to the list of
purchasing customers Animal, Please......I'll even help with the research and line drawings.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 02:47 AM UTC
I am rethinking the whole thing Rotor. I am still working on the how to but now I'm not sure how I will present it. Is Armorama copyright protected? I could donate the article to Armorama itself. I don't know anything about tade marks or copyright issues. I don't have the money to hire lawyers and such.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 04:33 AM UTC
ANIMAL:
You've GOT mail. I say you pool your resources, print a draft, proof/edit. Then print the Master. Then hold the article, till further council. HINT HINT.
 _GOTOTOP