_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
my rusty 2S3 Akatsiya WIP
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2013 - 07:36 AM UTC
Hi,

just wanted to post something, it is a WIP of my 2S3 from Tankmania, I like how the weathering is progressing. Never saw a pic of an actual destroyed vehicle, but hey..it's only modelling.

SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2013 - 08:02 AM UTC
Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing the next update.
Thanks
Euan
erwin_rommel
Visit this Community
Brest, Belarus
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2013 - 08:23 AM UTC
well, nice model, but it seems a bit unreal
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2013 - 08:55 AM UTC
Hi Mat;

I Like It, Tell us More about the Kit Overall.
Your on your way too a Fantastic Build, keep us Informed

CHEERS; MIKE.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2013 - 07:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

well, nice model, but it seems a bit unreal

Hello Aleksey,
could you elaborate a bit more about what looks unreal?
TIA

Olivier
okievit
Visit this Community
Cadiz, Spain / España
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 206 posts
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2013 - 09:41 PM UTC
Very nice job on the weathering. I do wonder whether a vehicle in that state would still have it's MG mounted, though.

Olaf
fuzzhead
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2013 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice job on the weathering. I do wonder whether a vehicle in that state would still have it's MG mounted, though.

Olaf

by the looks of it may of set off a small antitank mine and had the center wheels blown away and possibly ignited the fuel ect so the mg might remain
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hi guys,

The idea for this model came to me after looking at pictures of various tank graveyards, hence the missing road wheels. The MG was indeed something I was thinking about removing too, it does not seem logical to have a weapon still on there, it would have been the first thing to be removed in a real life situation.

The Tankmania kit is a nice kit I would say. I have build many resin kits over the years and the casting quality of this one is good. Hardly any bubbles, almost zero warped parts and no parts with offset halves (you know, when round parts are no longer round because the mould has been cut). As far as accuracy I can't say much, i am not an expert. There is a topic on this same forum about the SA-15 which basically says the TM kits are more 1:40 than 1:35. Only thing I do not like are the resin tracks. I managed to mount them on my other TM kits in the end, but it involved a lot of very bad words..

One question for you guys. The tools mounted on the side, I dont know how to paint them. Rusty or not?? The same for the tow cables and the inside of the barrel.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hi Mat;
Are you going with a Dio, ? or are you going with a Static Display ?
The reason i ask is that if your doing a static ( Stand Alone )
then it makes no Difference, what ever you like !
In a Dio, setting that maybe you have seen then, it would make sence that there would Not be very much if anything left on a Vehicle. ie; Tools,MG, Crew gear etc,!
The amount of Detail is up too you, How Far Do You Want Go.
If you are using a Pic, for reference then Follow it as Close
as possible. CHEERS; MIKE.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 09:54 PM UTC
The idea is a small dio/vignette. I am terrible at these things so I keep them simple. Here are some pictures of the idea. I removed the MG an scratched the mount, needs some additional weathering.

Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 02:33 AM UTC
This is a very interesting project you're doing Mat. The missing and broken road wheels is a nice touch and that is fairly common in tank graveyards. I can't say I've ever seen too many pioneer tools left on an abandoned vehicle though, its likely those would be the first things removed along with the MG (which you have also now removed). I like the sandy setting you've got for the piece, it suits it well. The only criticism I would make is that the surface of the 2S3 appears too matt in all areas- there would be some variation in the surface especially in rusty areas- it wouldn't be quite as matt as it is now.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 08:30 AM UTC
Hi Mat;

If you are Happy with it, then it doesent matter what other people think or say. !!!

I Say Great Job; MIKE.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 - 04:52 AM UTC
thanks Mike

I made some progress. I started to add some dust effects and some oil stains. I am not really a modeller with a plan, I just do stuff randomly

I was not happy with the layout. It looked too much like a vehicle with some random parts, like someone just smashed some food on a plate. I added the "trees" to create some depth and a figure who is checking an axe he found in the rubble. The obligatory oil drum adds a nice colour difference, without drawing too much attention (that is why I made it yellow, not red.

mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 10:02 PM UTC
finished!

the weather is sunny today, so my pictures are worse than normal

This whole diorama was made from spares and leftovers, with a total investment of 2 euro's in clay

Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 10:31 PM UTC
Hi Mat, that is looking really good now- the overral matt finish has been sorted and it looks natural now. The scene is an inventive one too- simple but it tells a good story- the figure is a nice touch as it shows the size of the vehicle nicely.
Dannyd
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 793 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 05:50 AM UTC
Wow, a very nice dio, love the composition of the elements involved, the paint job is superb on the 2S3, great work indeed.

Kind Regards

Dan
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 - 02:11 AM UTC
thanks guys for the postive feedback

The damaged paint effect was made with ordinairy Tamiya acrylics and AK heavy chipping fluid. I was never really convinced about this stuff, until I saw Mig Jimenez using it during a demonstration he gave on a model show in my country, excellent product! Washes were done wirh ordinairy oils, and streaking was done with AK products again.

up to my next project, a dio project which has been gathering dust for months already

_GOTOTOP