Sherman Series Group Build?
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I may join in now I have the Tamiya M4A3 105mm howitzer version Now if I could only find some good replacement decals instead of using the Tamiya ones #:-) (++)

You could always get Archer Fine Transfers. They work quite well.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 08:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Bombshell,

O.K., there's no real time limit on this one right? It's just an 'as quick as it makes sense' Group Build, right? And the 'jest' of this thing is variant's correct?.........Good.

With those parameter's embraced as gospel.............sign me up! :-)

Now, since you asked for variants (you're talking to the Variant King), I have chosen a real lulu! I have really been heating up my scratchbuilding technique's as of late (on the 'unbounded' T2K Campaign you might have heard about), and I'm feeling mighty overconfident!..Oops!...err, I mean confident! So, based on the above rules of engagement, and that last 'slip of the tounge', I'm truly planning on building the Sherman mine-clearing vehicle called LULU !!!!!
Believe it or not, I'm going to give it a whack!
Now, just so I don't get too inflated about my decision, somebody PLEASE, talk me out of it!

Tread.

I'd say go for it. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I don't think I ever seen a picture of this particular Sherman. What variant is it? Do you have a picture?

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 10:05 AM UTC
Howdy Bombshell,

Many thx for the strong words of encouragement!

As for a photo of the 'LULU', I only have a few in my 'Variant' Library. One of which is in the link you provided in your first post! :-) (about 9/10th's of the way down the list).
Check it out before you commit to any more enthuisiasm for me......hehe. It should be an interesting build to say the least!

Tread.

P.S. For what it's worth I've already got half of it built in my head.
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 11:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

P.S. For what it's worth I've already got half of it built in my head.

Isn't that true about all our models?

I found the picture of the Lulu. Quite an interesting looking mine detecting variant:

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 11:36 PM UTC
So sherman build no time limit .Would an M-10 be considered a A Sherman? (++) (:-)
will check back latter
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 10:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would an M-10 be considered a A Sherman? (++) (:-)
will check back latter

It would be condidered a variant of the Sherman since it is built on a M4A2 chassis. I would like to know what the other guys think.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 02:14 PM UTC

So, Bombshell........I guess you're not going to even try to talk me out of it!!! #:-)

Tread.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 04:32 PM UTC
got my Firefly VC, gonna get the sherman from Tamiya to make it a M4A4. so you sherman freaks out there, the parts I am not using is up for grab. just send me a PM. and money for postage.

Gonna do it with white "1" on the turret, and chinese writing "Bear" , finished with gloss, as the one My grandpa used circa 1948 - 1952 reviewing his troop.

generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 04:50 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Would an M-10 be considered a A Sherman? (++) (:-)
will check back latter

It would be condidered a variant of the Sherman since it is built on a M4A2 chassis. I would like to know what the other guys think.

I don't see why not Maybe make it a Sherman variant build?
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 05:18 PM UTC
BOMBSHELL, SHERMAN GP members,,
I dont want to be a WHINER ..........but come on this is a sherman variant group build . Not variants built on the sherman chassis. How can you think that an M10 , M36 is a SHERMAN. I think not. They dont even perform the same mission on the battle field. Lets please have some better judgement here. Thanx.
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BOMBSHELL, SHERMAN GP members,,
I dont want to be a WHINER ..........but come on this is a sherman variant group build . Not variants built on the sherman chassis. How can you think that an M10 , M36 is a SHERMAN. I think not. They dont even perform the same mission on the battle field. Lets please have some better judgement here. Thanx.

I understand the point you are trying to make, and that is why I asked the opinion of all of you.
I have been grappling with this issue myself and I actually agree with you Rotorhead. That would mean that variants such as ARVs, ambulances, tank destroyers which are all built on Sherman chassis, and resemble neither the look or original mission of the Sherman, would have to be eliminated from our Group Build.

The problems I have with a rule like this is that, first, it excludes some modelers from our group build and second, it is a bit too ambiguous ( at least to me it is).

To simplify I propose the following: If the variant is listed on this website http://www.jed.simonides.org/tanks/sierra/sherman_series/sherman-series.html it is game.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To simplify I propose the following: If the variant is listed on this website http://www.jed.simonides.org/tanks/sierra/sherman_series/sherman-series.html it is game.

Good call. That makes things simple and should end any debate.

If this is limited to just gun tanks, it kind of takes a lot of the fun out of it.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 06:52 AM UTC
It's a nasty one that, an M10/36 etc. is not really a sherman but a BARV is....Oh dear, Oh dear, this could get confusing. I think Bombshell's idea to leave Simonides' home page as the arbiter shows real common sense....A beer on me Mr. Bombshell, Jim
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 07:53 PM UTC
Bombshell,
I did not intend to cause confusion or a BOUT of HAIR SPLITTING. Maybe I lost
the meaning of "SHERMAN GP BUILD" I thought it was SHERMAN types ie: TANK, not the different vehicles built on the sherman chassis. I'm not imposing this point to cause more debate on what is and is not a sherman variant.
As per your point: The TD's ,ARV's,CEV's are still destinguished by their use of the sherman hull and parts. The M10/M36 doesn't even look like a sherman hull.
TREADHEAD's mineclearing vehicle is a good example. It still is a sherman.
No fowl .......I still look fwd to this build, and all the entries.
M4Nut
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 11:58 AM UTC
Well I'm in. I am currently working on (just past hull put together stage) an M4A3 76mm with early style turret and sandbag armor. Project is currently on hold as I try and finish an M3 75mm GMC for a Feb. contest.
Eric
Romanowski
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 - 01:06 AM UTC
Anybody doing one of these for this yet?

Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 - 01:28 AM UTC
count me in, i'm gonna build a Marine sherman in the pacific, i have japanese figures to make it a cool diorama
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:06 AM UTC
This thread was started ages ago. Do you realize that there is a campaign going on right now called One of Our Tanks is Better Than 10 of Yours?
 _GOTOTOP