Square Footage?
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 - 11:54 PM UTC
Hi guys,
Is there a reference to figure out the average square footage of commercial and residential structures in France back in 1944 anywhere? I am looking specifically for a hotel, a house, a factory and some other 2/3 story small shop-like SqFt...thanks!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 12:14 AM UTC
I dont believe its worth complicating a building like this. Use you eye to scale a building up. What looks right will suit .... going on real sizes wont suit a small base. Building come in all shapes and sizes, so there no real right or wrong.
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 12:36 AM UTC
Alright thanks Frank!
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 01:45 AM UTC
Hi Brandi,
Frank is right about what looks good to the eye. But there could be a couple of other options to explore. MiniArt's city ruins you could take their dimensions and use them for your purposes. I think in Europe buildings tended to be narrow and long as they were taxed by frontage. Our European members could confirm that. Another Idea is go to Walther Trains website look under Vollmer & Faller HO scale buildings. Take their sizes an multiply it by 2.5 and that should get you pretty close to what you need.
HTH, good luck and have a good weekend !
Tom
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 02:27 AM UTC
I suggest you check out the following Armorama Diorama site:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/181103&page=1

Carentan: June 12th, 1944

In this post the author appears to have even used some very highly detailed video games for reference and this is exactly the time period you are looking for.

Also I agree with the posts above that a diorama will rarely be of of a full sized building. The building(s) will often be compressed vertically as well as using forced perspective to make them appear deeper than they really are.

Next time you happen to visit Main Street USA at Disneyland/World note how as buildings rise vertically each successive floor is built on a smaller scale to make then appear taller from street level. As you enjoy the various other rides look for the usage for forced perspective and vertical compression. The Peter Pan ride and the Pirates of the Caribbean in particular comes to mind.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 02:38 AM UTC
Of course also study movies like "Saving Pt. Ryan", "Band of Brothers", "Shooting War" and D-Day to Berlin".
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 03:34 AM UTC
Of course also study movies like "Saving Pt. Ryan", "Band of Brothers", "Shooting War" and D-Day to Berlin".

please do not !

watch Original footage of the war ,on YT for example, or the great WW2 in colour, ect

do not try to make the FAKE villages or scenes from those hollywood films.

these films greatly enoy me as they are a glorification of american believes and views on the subject! hens scenery has to match the screenplay, not reality!

greetz
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 05:13 AM UTC
Hi guys
Thank you for all the excellent tips ! The link listed to the Carentan build is actually mine! I just am re-starting on it and wanted to get my thoughts together.
I am basing the build off the BoB series BUT am/have done extensive research on the battle. I just bought another book today in fact!
I will use the ideas mentioned. Thanks so much!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

please do not !

I would not agree 100% with this Tha Pit. Not every building there is a typical Normandy building. The idea is to get details and create what we all associate with Normandy. Hollywood .... I agree ... should not be your first choice for reference, but lots of effort went into this film to get the "association" of Normandy right. Find out what we associate with the Normandy, and you have a pretty free hand as to what to creat in regards of buildings.
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 07:56 AM UTC
http://acidcow.com/pics/3772-normandy_1944_then_and_now_204_pics.html

might be of intrest

http://www.france-in-photos.com/page/search/tags/architecture

I had a link for French postcard site, but it seems the cookiemonster got it

sadly in our hobby there are only 24 hours in a day
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 02:10 PM UTC
All we are looking for here are ideas on architectural sizing and compression relative to building dios and Hollywood set design has a lot to offer along those lines so maybe Pit you should lighten up on the politicos just a bit.

F Y I the last two films mentioned were shot by WWII photographers so they should pass your muster except for the fact they were American photographers so perhaps not.
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All we are looking for here are ideas on architectural sizing and compression relative to building dios and Hollywood set design has a lot to offer along those lines so maybe Pit you should lighten up on the politicos just a bit.

F Y I the last two films mentioned were shot by WWII photographers so they should pass your muster except for the fact they were American photographers so perhaps not.

last 2 are indeed time correct films(had them copy pasted per accident,good footage ,slightly propaganda,but the victor writes history isn't it?)

political?

since this site is about modeling and not politics and it's hosts and contributors are mainly pro Us,I have not posted the 50 lines of facts to prove SPR is a joke,that would mean me getting banned,I won't let you have that pleasure
sincerly Tha Pit

back on topic
Brandi

going to search for that postcard site I talked about,lot's of nice "one off" village and small town pictures

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 07:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had a link for French postcard site, but it seems the cookiemonster got it

This one ?

Delcampe.net

HTH

H.P.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 11:51 AM UTC
[quote}
since this site is about modeling and not politics and it's hosts and contributors are mainly pro Us,I have not posted the 50 lines of facts to prove SPR is a joke,that would mean me getting banned,I won't let you have that pleasure
sincerly Tha Pit
[/quote]

I think everyone on this site fairly much realizes SPR is dramatic fiction, FICTION. As to political opinion you are the only one appearing to profess a political opinion so yes, as YOU said, could we please get back on topic and discuss military modeling AND French architecture?
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 12:51 PM UTC
Don't know what's going on, but thanks for all the links!!!

You guys are awesome.
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 11:03 PM UTC
thanks Frenchy, it's not entirely the same but I guess there are multiple of these sites,and I of course chose one that's gonne,will add this with the Fav and delete the disfunct one

greetz
 _GOTOTOP