_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Korean War M32A1B3
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hi all,

Well, even though I have been a member of Armorama for a few years, I have never actually posted a blog (as far as I can remember), so I though this would be a good time to start.

When Tasca released their M32B1, I knew I just had to build one, but with a twist. I wanted to make the version with HVSS suspension and based on the M4A3 chassis (i.e. the M32A1B3).

Its taken me a while to get started, but now the build is in full swing and hopefully I'll get it finished before it ends up on the shelf with a number of other shelf queens :-)

This first post will be a little image heavy, since I have done some work on this project already.

First of all, though, one of the pictures that inspired me (posted here for discussion only):

The kit I am using as a base is Tasca's Korean War M4A3E8 combined with the Tasca parts I needed from the M32B1 kit (sprues purchased separately from the Tasca site to save sacrificing a complete kit).
I will also enhance the model with CMK's interior set, Voyager update for the M32B1, and use some printed parts from Click2detail parts for the necessary conversion items.

So, lets get started!

Interior detailing:

Since the M32 has that interesting "turret" with two large holes, a great deal of the interior will be visible, so I opted to go with the lovely CMK interior set, with the addition of some scratchbuilding and Tasca M32 parts.

Some progress so far (the larger assemblies only dry fitted at this stage):

As can be seen in the picture below, a lot of the interior is visible through the openings (the late turret from Click2detail is being used for this build):

Winch:

I plan to have some of the floor and work platform panels removed to allow visibility deeper into the belly of the vehicle. This necessitates building the full winch assembly (Tasca only includes the top parts).

A little scratch building to create the missing items was needed. Note that the lower platform that the winch assembly is standing on is a "best guess" and will not be visible once all the other fittings and stowage boxes around the winch are in place. There must be something there on the real vehicle, to bring the winch up to the height it is supposed to be. I have also borrowed one or two parts from the Tamiya Dragon Wagon winch assembly.

... and the assmebly test fitted into the hull:

Taking a short break from the interior, I started some work on the exterior.

Since the boom was a different affair on these late M32's, I felt that the best (and most fun!) route would be to scratchbuild a new boom.
In the pics below, you can also see the click2detail hull fittings.

Again, most parts only dry fitted at this early stage.

One other item I really want to have on this model is the "remote control" towing arm, which could be lowered by cable to recover vehicles without exposing the crew to enemy fire.

I have the printed part from Click2detail, but unfortunately it was too large and as such did not fit. I have made the guys at C2D aware of this and they have been very, very quick to respond and have launched an investigation on the part and the corresponding drawings. They also offered to send me a replacement part once they have completed their investigation and updates. Don't let this put you off buying printed parts from C2D since they are very, very nice. I am not associated with the company, but appreciate great service, fast responses and nice products.

Eager as I am to keep the build going, I decided to scratch build the part.

The first pic below is a sort of "before and after" sequence of the actual hook, and the second picture is the completed part from various angles.

And the towing arm test fitted on the model:

So, there it is, that's as far as I have come so far.

Comments, advise and feedback is very much appreciated.

Thanks for looking, back again soon.. :-)

Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 07:28 PM UTC
Sven, great work so far. I have never heard of click2detail before, are they using 3d printer tech?

Looking forward to more.

Cheers!
Stefan
cuchoramone
Visit this Community
Asturias, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 07:44 PM UTC
Hi, looks really good. I'm also waiting for more
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sven, great work so far. I have never heard of click2detail before, are they using 3d printer tech?

Looking forward to more.

Cheers!
Stefan

Many thanks Stefan! :-)

Yes, click2detail (www.click2detail.com) are a 3D printing service aimed at the modeller. They have a large selection of conversion and detail parts (not only 1/35) for purchase (easy to order and fast service). Really nice stuff.
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, looks really good. I'm also waiting for more

Thank you very much Fano, I really appreciate it.

More updates coming soon :-)
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 03:24 PM UTC
Fantastic scratch building. Watching and admiring

young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Fantastic scratch building. Watching and admiring

Many thanks, very much appreciated. :-)

The build has slowed down somewhat now, but I will try to post more updates soon.

Thanks again!

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 03:35 AM UTC
Fantastic work! I loved what you did with the winch. Recognized the Dragon Wagon parts right away. I did more or less the same type of conversion work for the front mounted winch on my scratch built Mack NO.

Keep up the good work and the posts. I have a feeling you have shown me a M32 that I will have to build!

OMG, another Sherman!
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fantastic work! I loved what you did with the winch. Recognized the Dragon Wagon parts right away. I did more or less the same type of conversion work for the front mounted winch on my scratch built Mack NO.

Keep up the good work and the posts. I have a feeling you have shown me a M32 that I will have to build!

OMG, another Sherman!

Thanks Michael!

I am glad you like it so far.

Haha, yes the Dragon Wagon winch assembly comes in handy in many different projects, Tamiya should sell that sprue as a separate kit :-)

Cheers,
Sven
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 04:53 AM UTC
Totally agree. That would be a great idea!
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 06:06 AM UTC
Excellent work!

Love the scratch work on the winch assembly. Will try myself to replicate that.

Where did you purchase the click2detail turret from?
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 07:23 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind feedback, James, I am glad if you want to replicate the work.

Bear in mind that I doubt the stand I made for my winch is accurate, I just needed it up at the correct height and used some "creative engineering" to make it look "right". The stand will not be visible anyway.

The other winch parts, housing, linkages and so on are made per drawings and photos though. I could have used the Tamiya winch housing, but had already scratched it before I was able to acquire the Tamiya Dragon Wagon winch sprue, so decided to use the scratched part anyway.

Click2detail turret (and many other parts) can be purchased directly from them: www.click2detail.com

Cheers,
Sven
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 08:03 AM UTC
Excellent!

Thanks for details.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 12:48 AM UTC
So excited that 3-D printing has quickly come to the hobby industry!
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 02:08 AM UTC
James, no problem, happy to help.

Michael, you and me both. 3D printing opens up a whole new world for us modellers.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 11:50 AM UTC
I love the scratchbuilt and printed parts. I'll have to try their products out some time.
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 02:03 AM UTC
Many thanks Jeremy, much appreciated.

3D printed items are definitely worth a try, very useful stuff.

cheers,
Sven
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 - 10:43 PM UTC
Great news for those of you who wish to purchase the 3D-printed tow hook! I have received word from both Click2detail and the designer of the part himself that the part has now been revised. C2D are sending me a replacement part free of charge.

Now that's what I call customer service.! :-)

Thanks guys!
 _GOTOTOP