_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Chipping colour for olive drab?
danny71
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hi Guys

want to try some chipping on a WW2 US Sherman, what colour is good to use?

what colour would the primer have been?

Danny
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 02:32 AM UTC
Some component parts of US manufactured items were dipped or sprayed in either red oxide or a grey oxide primer. But then, most large parts were just painted in the lusterless OD and then baked on. This finish was extremely tough and you can go up to many unrestored Allied AFVs today and see mostly intact Olive drab. You'd be pretty historically inaccurate to mimic the fad of paint chipping so often overdone in the German armor field.

Often what is seen is a deeply ingrained dust over all external elements with areas of wear, IMHO. The wear would be the base coat Olive drab. Thus you see mostly dust-impregnated surfaces with edges and areas of contact rubbed clean of dust -- to a the original OD. For a great discussion of this, look at Mike Rinaldi's Tank Art Vol 2, Allied Tanks.

Have a look here:
danny71
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 03:08 AM UTC
Thanks, went for minimal wear with a primer grey, and concentrating on dirt mud and grime.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 04:42 AM UTC
You miss my point. The grey primer was happenstance, based upon the component maker's processes. It might be a hatch handle or a bolt or a flange whereas a cap or rail might be red oxide. The vast body panels and many other parts would receive no primer whatsoever. You should not infer that I meant the entirety of a Sherman was primered in Grey. It wasn't.
danny71
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 05:31 AM UTC
Ahh ok, I kind of backtracked a bit anyway with just a few stuff marks and such and am now building up layers of dirt, this is my first build so experimenting anyway, but thanks for the input.

Danny
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some component parts of US manufactured items were dipped or sprayed in either red oxide or a grey oxide primer. But then, most large parts were just painted in the lusterless OD and then baked on. This finish was extremely tough and you can go up to many unrestored Allied AFVs today and see mostly intact Olive drab. You'd be pretty historically inaccurate to mimic the fad of paint chipping so often overdone in the German armor field.

Often what is seen is a deeply ingrained dust over all external elements with areas of wear, IMHO. The wear would be the base coat Olive drab. Thus you see mostly dust-impregnated surfaces with edges and areas of contact rubbed clean of dust -- to a the original OD. For a great discussion of this, look at Mike Rinaldi's Tank Art Vol 2, Allied Tanks.

Have a look here:

Hi, All! I'm in FULL AGREEMENT with ROY in that the VAST MAJORITY of models depicting WWII AFVs, Aircraft, etc, ARE WAAAAAYYY OVERDONE as far as weathering and chipping go.

Let's not forget that WWII vehicles had a VERY SHORT LIFESPAN when compared to civilian vehicles. The US Army projected that your average Deuce-and-a-halves" had a maximum service life of 10,000 miles- and that's for vehicles with MINIMAL EXPOSURE to combat.

Conversely, the life expectancy of GERMAN vehicles of all types could be measured in a matter of hours once they were exposed to combat environments, ESPECIALLY in FRANCE and ITALY, where US and ALLIED air activity reigned supreme. GERMAN AFVs and Softskins had such a short life-span that they COULDN'T have gotten as beat-up and rusty as many modellers are so fond of depicting. Dirty? Yes, but only to a point. Rusted hulks? Yes, if the vehicles had been shot up, torn apart and/or having burned into being FUBAR...

It's JUST PLAIN WRONG to depict a combat vehicle in such a deplorable state of decomposition as one would find after having parked it at the bottom of the ocean for twenty years. Yes, I understand that modellers JUST LOVE to show off their "weathering skills"- well and good. But IMO, I think that "less is more"... Besides, why cover up all that beautiful work and fine detailing with a mud bath?

The moral of the story: "CHECK YOUR REFERENCES"...
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 02:51 AM UTC

Agree 100% Dennis. Indeed, I always remember one of our old (then) BAOR interpreters in the early 1980's was a former member of 2nd SS 'Das Reich' who had been captured in Normandy.I showed him my collection of Tamiya and Italeri 1/35 AFVs and tanks (no Dragon or Tasca back then!) which had been weathered in the old Verlinden Style with dents and rust everywhere and was the 'Spanish School', 'chipping' and 'colour modulation' technique of its day. Having taken a long hard look he smiled, shook his head and said " Nice models Gary......if only the reals ones had lasted long enough to get so beat up, dirty and rusty."

He then went on to comment that German vehicles in NWE by 44/45 were lasting days at most a couple of weeks before being K.O.d. Some were even driven from the rail yards brand new and simply abandoned after the tank of fuel (gas) that they arrived with had run out due to lack or spares or re-supply.

That comment and observation has stayed with me throughout my model making life and my WW2 models are made to represent vehicles that had a short combat lifespan rather than depicted to look like something that has just fired up it's engine having been exposed to the elements for 25 years whilst sitting idle in a farmer's muddy field.

Great art and painting skills by the model maker are often exhibited on 1/35 models, but their historical accuracy in terms of finish often leaves much to be desired.

Gary

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Have a look here:

Hi, All! I'm in FULL AGREEMENT with ROY in that the VAST MAJORITY of models depicting WWII AFVs, Aircraft, etc, ARE WAAAAAYYY OVERDONE as far as weathering and chipping go.

Let's not forget that WWII vehicles had a VERY SHORT LIFESPAN when compared to civilian vehicles. The US Army projected that your average Deuce-and-a-halves" had a service life of 10,000 miles- and that's for vehicles that had MINIMAL EXPOSURE to combat.

Conversely, the life expectancy of GERMAN vehicles of all types could be measured in a matter of hours. Once they were exposed to combat environments in FRANCE and ITALY, where US and ALLIED air activity reigned supreme, GERMAN AFVs and Softskins had such a short life-span that they COULDN'T get as beat-up and rusty as many modellers are so fond of depicting. Dirty? Yes, but only to a point. Rusted hulks? Yes, if the vehicles had been shot up, torn apart and/or burned into being FUBAR...

It's JUST PLAIN WRONG to depict a combat vehicle in such a deplorable state of decomposition as one would find after having parked it at the bottom of the ocean for twenty years. Yes, I understand that modellers JUST LOVE to show off their "weathering skills"- well and good. But IMO, I think that "less is more"...

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Agree 100% Dennis. Indeed, I always remember one of our old (then) BAOR interpreters in the early 1980's was a former member of 2nd SS 'Das Reich' who had been captured in Normandy.I showed him my collection of Tamiya and Italeri 1/35 AFVs and tanks (no Dragon or Tasca back then!) which had been weathered in the old Verlinden Style with dents and rust everywhere and was the 'Spanish School', 'chipping' and 'colour modulation' technique of its day. Having taken a long hard look he smiled, shook his head and said " Nice models Gary......if only the reals ones had lasted long enough to get so beat up, dirty and rusty."

He then went on to comment that German vehicles in NWE by 44/45 were lasting days at most a couple of weeks before being K.O.d. Some were even driven from the rail yards brand new and simply abandoned after the tank of fuel (gas) that they arrived with had run out due to lack or spares or re-supply.

That comment and observation has stayed with me throughout my model making life and my WW2 models are made to represent vehicles that had a short combat lifespan rather than depicted to look like something that has just fired up it's engine having been exposed to the elements for 25 years whilst sitting idle in a farmer's muddy field.

Great art and painting skills by the model maker are often exhibited on 1/35 models, but their historical accuracy in terms of finish often leaves much to be desired.

Gary

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Have a look here:

Let's not forget that WWII vehicles had a VERY SHORT LIFESPAN when compared to civilian vehicles. The US Army projected that your average Deuce-and-a-halves" had a service life of 10,000 miles- and that's for vehicles that had MINIMAL EXPOSURE to combat.

Conversely, the life expectancy of GERMAN vehicles of all types could be measured in a matter of hours. Once they were exposed to combat environments in FRANCE and ITALY, where US and ALLIED air activity reigned supreme, GERMAN AFVs and Softskins had such a short life-span that they COULDN'T get as beat-up and rusty as many modellers are so fond of depicting. Dirty? Yes, but only to a point. Rusted hulks? Yes, if the vehicles had been shot up, torn apart and/or burned into being FUBAR...

It's JUST PLAIN WRONG to depict a combat vehicle in such a deplorable state of decomposition as one would find after having parked it at the bottom of the ocean for twenty years. Yes, I understand that modellers JUST LOVE to show off their "weathering skills"- well and good. But IMO, I think that "less is more"...

There- Gary has corroborated my post! I've posted this before, but let me briefly repeat: My Mom's Uncle Ludwig served with 1st SS Panzer late September, 1944-February 1945. As regards to German camo, it was minimal at best, with the application of NATURAL FOLIAGE being the most common. Rust & dirt? US & ALLIED "JABOS" made sure that the GERMAN AFVs and Softskins didn't get the chance to get very dirty, and were for the most part destroyed before they had a chance to rust. Advice? Follow the "KISS" rule...
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 03:20 AM UTC
Yep US olive drab was very tough ..the only thing I do is add a bit of shine to the paint around the hatches where the crew would climb in and out the tank...

As for the german vehicles... yeah many are too chipped for the time that they survived but remember some vehicles such as Ferdinands that first saw action at Kursk were still around in 1945...repainted? sure but not all tanks only lasted days or weeks ...

Rick
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 06:56 AM UTC
It only takes a few hours of driving on dirty/ muddy roads for any sort of vehicle to get dirty. Chips and scratches do occur on US vehicles, but not in a large amount. A few here and there around the fenders, crew hatches, and engine deck are all you need.
dogfish7
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 08:10 AM UTC
This all helps to pull reality into perspective.
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 11:48 AM UTC
Denis

Finally, a voice of reason in terms of weathering of German AFVs! I could not agree more. What a lot of people who go in heavily for weathering seem to forget is that these vehicles, even German ones if they survived long enough, did receive maintenance in the field, and the Germans were diligent at trying at least to retrieve knocked out and broken down AFVs.

Obviously, this was dependant on the circumstances, but most German AFVs were, I believe, issued with tins of the three camo colours in paste form, which could be thinned with just about any liquid.

As for Shermans and weathering of same, a point worth remembering also is that I believe Shermans and other US AFVs were welded using stainless steel rods, so there definitely shouldn't be rust on the weld seams.

The other point that many (most?) modellers seem to neglect is the appearance of bullet and shrapnel strikes on armour. I vividly recall a Canadian Sherman in Vancouver which is a very good illustration, but hardly any modellers ever seem to show such dents.

Just my 10 cents worth.

Regards

Rob
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahh ok, I kind of backtracked a bit anyway with just a few stuff marks and such and am now building up layers of dirt, this is my first build so experimenting anyway, but thanks for the input.

Danny

Since you're just beginning, learn the basis first. Get your assembly skills up, learn to paint a simple clean colorsheme, take care of seams and alignment, hone your decalling skills. When you get ready to weather, go to archival sources and photographs. Use other builders for inspiration NOT reference.
plastickjunkie
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 12:50 PM UTC
While talking about excessive wear done by the modelers to armor, the same practice extends to infantry weapons. I own several unrestored WWII rifles and pistols that look virtually new compared to how some modelers weather their weapons. I think the only exception to the battered look would be the DAK vehicles which were tested beyond their endurance.
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 286 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 07:30 AM UTC
Just my two cents on matter, chipping and other wear&tear is the very thing that brings that little artist out of average joe, and while maybe not realistic to 100% in the end what really matters is how good finished model looks on the shelf. Artistic licence, every modellers right, right?
lukesshed
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hello all
I would agree with the chipping aspect and the rust to a degree. But I regularly see Challengers fresh out of their hangers at Bovington Camp in Dorset UK in a clean state only to be turned into a dusty buff colour after an hour of driving across Bovington Heath.
I cannot see that any other Tank what ever its Nationality would be any different.
I tried to upload some photos of a Challenger on this page but it would not work. Go to my profile and you will see what I mean

Regards Luke

SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 08:02 AM UTC
Biggest issue with 1:1 scale weathering vs 1:35 scale weathering is the size of the object at hand...what happens on real life equipment doesn't always translate easily into 1:35 scale and still "look right". I faithfully reproduced a dust covered M4A1 Sherman from Tunisia with color photos showing it and got told I "overweathered" my model at a model show!!

As for chipping and rusting...I worked around Bradley when I was in the army that where only a few years old (well paint job) and the paint was already chipping and there was rust stains due to Steel armor plate on an aluminum hull. I have shots of M113A3s that where nearly new and they chipped down to the bare aluminum hull (this was more a case of bad priming/prep for CARC paint) but it can happen in real life and I'd expect CARC paint to be able to hold up more then lacquer based paints from the 1940s.

There is alot of artistic interpretation that makes weathering look "right" instead of being recreating of actual weathering in 1:35 scale.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello all
I would agree with the chipping aspect and the rust to a degree. But I regularly see Challengers fresh out of their hangers at Bovington Camp in Dorset UK in a clean state only to be turned into a dusty buff colour after an hour of driving across Bovington Heath.
I cannot see that any other Tank what ever its Nationality would be any different.
I tried to upload some photos of a Challenger on this page but it would not work. Go to my profile and you will see what I mean

Regards Luke

True
I was lucky enough to see a Stug in running order at Parola tank Museum a few years ago. It had been raining and within a very short time the lower hull of the Stug was incredibly filthy and the upper hull was also covered in mud from a few people clambering on board.
Mud is a natural camouflage and I can't see crews removing it to keep their tanks clean in combat.

To get back on topic here is the SOP for Painting the M4 Tank which includes the instruction
Quoted Text

It is not desirable that vehicles painted with lusterless enamel be kept as clean as vehicles were kept when glossy paint was used. A small accumulation of dust increases the camouflage value. Grease spots should be removed with SOLVENT, dry cleaning. Whatever portion of the spot cannot be so removed should be allowed to remain.

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hello all

Regards Luke

True
I was lucky enough to see a Stug in running order at Parola tank Museum a few years ago. It had been raining and within a very short time the lower hull of the Stug was incredibly filthy and the upper hull was also covered in mud from a few people clambering on board.
Mud is a natural camouflage and I can't see crews removing it to keep their tanks clean in combat.

To get back on topic here is the SOP for Painting the M4 Tank which includes the instruction
Quoted Text

It is not desirable that vehicles painted with lusterless enamel be kept as clean as vehicles were kept when glossy paint was used. A small accumulation of dust increases the camouflage value. Grease spots should be removed with SOLVENT, dry cleaning. Whatever portion of the spot cannot be so removed should be allowed to remain.

KEY WORDS: "A small accumulation of dust..." What all of you guys do with your own models is YOUR business. I don't think anyone has the right to tell anyone else how much dust, dirt, mud or oil-gook is REQUIRED on any particular model.

YES- Armor gets filthy. But what if a modeller just wants to build a "representation of the vehicle", not how dirty it gets..?

The guys that are going to lecture you about the "inaccuracies" of how much weathering you've applied to your model never seem to build anything of their own. Time and again, I've seen young modellers or beginners being brow-beaten to the point where they've given up the hobby for fear of being ostracized by self-proclaimed "Experts". If anything, less-experienced modellers should be nurtured...

There IS however, in my opinion, such a thing as over-doing it. As I stated in one of my earlier posts, I prefer to model my vehicles with minimal weathering, mainly to show off the FINE DETAILING of my subject. I'm not going to repeat myself in this one. So my friends, in my case, I don't like to give my vehicles a mud bath- just a light, light over-spray of barely perceptible dust and a little bit of road dust in the suspension area is enough for me. I build my models for MY OWN PLEASURE, not to please anyone else.
 _GOTOTOP