_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Changes to Sig line functionality
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 11:31 AM UTC
I made some changes to the way the sig information in your user profile displays in the forums. I know some of you are rather creative in your longish quotes but sometimes I was finding it hard to seperate the post from the sig.

Also I found I was doing a very bad thing in the case of the sig field in the database and this has been corrected. Sigs can not exceed 255 characters from this point forward.

Please edit your sigs (the text) as needed as some of you will see that yours is getting trunkcated.

Thanks,
Jim

PS: I am debating on adding a feature that would allow a user to "turn-off" sigs entirely. I know for some of us they are fun to make and see but I would imagine not every user is thrilled with them. Input?
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 12:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

PS: I am debating on adding a feature that would allow a user to "turn-off" sigs entirely. I know for some of us they are fun to make and see but I would imagine not every user is thrilled with them. Input?

I would love to have this option.

Steve
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 12:29 PM UTC
I'd like to be able to keep my sig if possible.

Mike
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 12:43 PM UTC
Personally I like em. I understand that some were getting "long-winded" and often times were difficult to see were the post finished and were the sig-line started. I noticed that you added the line "USER SIGNATURE" just above the sigs, but it still does not do a great job of seperating it from the post's body. This is the reason I use italics and bold fonts, but not everyone knows how to use BBcode. Is it possible to have a different color font in the sig lines? This would greatly ease the seperation.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 03:42 PM UTC
Any thought as to the ability do have a "killfile"? Just like "opt out" and alternate language forums don't appear, any way to have certain members just not appear? We may have talked about this long, long ago.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 04:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any thought as to the ability do have a "killfile"? Just like "opt out" and alternate language forums don't appear, any way to have certain members just not appear? We may have talked about this long, long ago.

yes,this would be good, but if what if the person had the exact answer for the question you asked and you were unable to read it?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 07:14 PM UTC
Hi Jim

I welcome the limit on the length of sig. lines.

The "USER SIGNATURE" caption is a neat addition but, re: Kencetot's concern about needing more distinction between the post-text and the sig. line, how about adding a separator line and making the box surrounding the sig. darker/bolder?

I'm not sure I understand the "kill-file" concept. If it's a way to turn off certain sig. lines, that seems fine, but Airwarrior's quite right about the risks from filtering out particular members' posts.

All the best

Rowan
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 08:29 PM UTC
The nice thing about a filter on User would be to filter out guys who have nothing else to say but NICE WORK, CONGRATS.
But a different colour for sigs, could really enhance the forum. I don't like it either to see people who have whole books written in their sig, so I think Jim did good work.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 11:10 PM UTC
I think the ability to filter out sig lines is a good idea, to be honest if they are more than a line long I don't read them and some are really long taking up space meaning more pages to read the responses to the original post.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 11:39 PM UTC
So what happened to my picture link??
It is gone from sig (++) (:-)
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

any way to have certain members just not appear?

Now that's an interesting concept but why would one not want to see all the members? I am starting to feel unwanted...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 06:07 AM UTC
Marty,
I think Rob is talking about users like "wdeciccio" where he is posting "I sell kits for 40% off" in numerous threads. This user has been banned by the way. I tried to PM him with a warning about this but he saw fit to ignore my post and do more trollish behaviour. I don't have the patience for this right now.

Alas I could not integrate a kill-file function even if I wanted to. It's too much of a heavy load for the database to add that kind of layer to the topic views.

Cheers,
Jim
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 07:45 AM UTC
Today we can "opt in" or "opt out" for a number of off-topic forums.
Wouldn't it be possible to allow this "opt" funtion to all files, so one can assemble his own profile and only see the forums he likes ?

Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 01:11 PM UTC
Thanks Jim for clearing this up for me.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 02:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Today we can "opt in" or "opt out" for a number of off-topic forums.
Wouldn't it be possible to allow this "opt" funtion to all files, so one can assemble his own profile and only see the forums he likes ?

Hmm....you mean make all the forums an "opt-in" thing?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 08:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...Just like "opt out" and alternate language forums don't appear...

Hi again

Am I doing something wrong? - they do appear on my Forum Mainpage..., but, anyway, I'm happy a complete list of what's available.

Maybe it would be handy for users to re-order the forums for their own preference? i.e. "Painting" at the top of the page if they want.

All the best

Rowan
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 09:27 PM UTC
Rowan,
They should all appear there (otherwise people would never find them to start with).

Jan was referring to the latest posts page.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP