_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M4A3-Dry Stowage/Improvised Assault Tank
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 11:10 AM UTC
Greeting to Everyone and Thanks for Stopping by for a Quick Look!

It has been a very long time since my last posted so I thought it was time to drop a few pictures of my current build. Some of you may recall this little kit from the previous thread “A Tale of Three Shermans”. As the other two have finished building their Shermans and I’m still plugging away on mine because I’m so slow!!

Enough talk you’re here to see the pictures so here they…I hope you enjoy them

Here are two previews of the planned base in the very early stages…

Once again Thanks for stopping by and as always comments are most welcome!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 11:13 AM UTC
Impressive Sherman! Maybe I can venture into the "greener" category of WWII armor. Shermans were never busy enough, for me. But, this one is exactly the type of build that would keep me interested! What did you use for the weld seams?
shermaholic-king
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 02:16 PM UTC
Excuse me, but according to Hunnicutt the mid production (not prototype) had the rounded nose final drive housing. No mid M4A3 had the three piece nose in combat in 1945.
Not trying to start a flame war just stating fact.
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 339 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 04:35 PM UTC
Hey Eric! Nice to see you back at the bench again. Sherman is looking good. Keep at it!
Drone04
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 09:47 PM UTC
Hi Eric, this looks fantastic! Good luck with the next step, looking very much forward to see it painted!
errains
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 01:46 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments and feedback guys

@Matt: The red weld seams are nothing more than stretched sprue from an old car kit. The red was chosen to provide color contrast so that I could clearly see it while applying it to kit. The sprue was then softened with liquid cement and textured with a #11 blade.
You should really take a stab at a US subject sometime. While operating under field conditions they become quite “busy”, if you get a chance thumb through either ‘Armored Attack 1944: U. S. Army Tank Combat in the European Theater from D-Day to the Battle of Bulge’ or “Armored Victory 1945: U.S. Army Tank Combat in the European Theater from the Battle of the Bulge to Germany's Surrender’ by Steve Zaloga, both have tons of “busy Shermans”….see the two examples below…

@Kenneth: No problem, but I submit the following for your consideration…

a) While undeniable that Hunnicutt’s Sherman bible is an excellent source (I have a first edition myself). It strength lies in its presentation of the technical aspects of the M4 Medium Tank much like the current new kid on the block, “Son of Sherman”. But keep in mind that Hunnicutt’s book was not intended to provide operational histories nor an overview of configurations at the field level. At its time of publication in 1976 (wow..I’m old) the level of reference photos from the ETO and other theaters were nowhere near what it is today. Therefore significant insights into field level configurations has greatly changed in just the past couple of years.

b) A Molder should avoid absolutels, ‘Never say never’. While I agree that it is unlikely that a 3-piece differential covers would have been fixed to this variant of Sherman. But given the nature of the Sherman design and the chaos of combat ANY thing is possible. Note the photo below.

While these Shermans are training units serving state side during WWII it does shows a a 3-pieces bolted differential installed on one in the background. So if a unit not partaking in combat operations and has access to the “correct” spears why then would they use this older replacement part…I don’t know nor would I have thought that they would…but there it is.

One last example of ‘Never say never’. Until last year I would have thought a crew of an M4A3E2 Jumbo would never apply supplementary armor to such a tank. I mean why add on more weight, over taxing an already over loaded power train….then I found this photo

As you see not only did they do that but the crew added a concrete slab no less the front plate of their Jumbo

I don’t mean to lecture but molders in all genres should never say…”that would never happen” because in the Chaos of combat any and all thing are possible…within reason.

@Don: Thanks Buddy….yeah this has been yet another long and drawn out project….but a ton of fun no the less! (BTW Don I totally LOVE your Signature Block Quote )

@Ivan: Thank You. I’m really looking forward to doing up the base. The Sherman is only about 75% completed so the paint and finishing is still some time away yet.
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 02:19 AM UTC
Eric having seen this in person at the show i have to say that the pic don't do this justice can't wait to see this one finshed
dave
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 11:20 AM UTC
I have an awesome used book store, near me. They have a full acre of literature, including 60 feet of 5 shelf book cases dealing with WWII. I'll keep an eye out for those titles.
tankglasgow
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 - 09:34 AM UTC
This looks to be a nice composition any figures planned? also interesting discussion on diff housing, don't know enough about it to comment but points well made.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 - 09:46 AM UTC
Eric-- another masterpiece! Well done
DJ
errains
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 - 11:11 AM UTC
@Matt: Sounds like a good plan, I'm sure they will show up at some point and considerably less then what I paid for them

@Paul: Thanks Buddy! I have three figures planned; Commander,Driver and Co-Driver...I just hope my Figy Skillz are up to the task

@DJ: Thank You Sir! I'm not sure about a masterpiece but I have high hopes for the overall finished display...though I never have done water before...fingers crossed
shermaholic-king
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 - 12:47 PM UTC
Right about the training tanks stateside but all mid M4A3's that went to Europe were re-manufactured before deploying to the ETO. ie, new parts. You do have a magnificient looking Sherman no matter what. Great job. BTW thanks for the E2 photo with the concrete armor. You are correct in saying...Never say never when it comes to a Sherman.
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 339 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 - 03:41 PM UTC
It has been almost 48 hours since my last post....why is this thing not painted yet?
Removed by original poster on 05/14/19 - 00:53:40 (GMT).
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hi Eric. Great job with the welds. They look great. Very neat work considering you added so much.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 11:11 AM UTC
Nice looking build, however I have one concern. Dry stowage M4A3s would not have had the appliaque armor plates mounted to protect the ammunition racks, as far as I know. Perhaps someone else can confirm / deny this?
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 11:16 AM UTC
Wet stowage would not have them.

Cheers Rob.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice looking build, however I have one concern. Dry stowage M4A3s would not have had the appliaque armor plates mounted to protect the ammunition racks, as far as I know. Perhaps someone else can confirm / deny this?

My reading is that the re-man dry stowage M4A3s that went to the ETO, late in the war, ALL had applique armor over the sponson racks. Not to hijack, but here's my take on the subject, not quite finished.

Mr Rains, mighty fine work, neat concept.
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 07:10 AM UTC
Eric,

Great to see you back in action again. I have been absent for some time due to an illness but feeling better these days and slowly getting back into the hobby.

Great what if build of this Re-manned M4A3 dry stowage Sherman.
Looking forward to seeing more.
 _GOTOTOP