_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
first camo attempt T-80u
bronzey
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 07:58 PM UTC
Hello guys,

I bought a small kit that I could take and build at my local modelling club and picked up this revell kit of a T-80u. It was planned to be a 'practice' kit but im so happy with the results I wanted to share it. Ive only done the base coat so far using paint brush and bluetack to mask the patten. It does need touching up and ive learnt that I need to make sure I push the bluetack down more next time but I guess this is how we learn! All comments welcome as always!

Bronzey
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 09:36 PM UTC
Hi Alex,
Very nice for your first camo attempt & specially with using a paint brush!!
I do agree with you in a couple of spots about paint creep under the blue tack, I also had that the first time I tried it, so your not alone!!
Not sure if it is the light but it looks like their may be a tiny of turret colour showing right at the bottom of the turret ring??
Thanks for sharing!!
Cheers Mike
bronzey
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 09:52 PM UTC
Mike,

Thank you for your comments, the paint job is Vallejo 50/50 with plain water, takes about 3 coats to do a even cover but well worth it. Yes you are right I completely missed under the turret, will be dealt with when I do the touch up on the rest, also the wheels are meant to be the dark green not the brown, guess I got abit carried away!

Bronzey
bronzey
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 - 04:57 AM UTC
Erm just noticed I've named this a T-80u, its not, its a T-80B, whoops! Lol
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 - 06:26 AM UTC
Looking really good. I am out of practice, with brush painting camo. You pulled it off very well. Please post some updates, as you progress.
bronzey
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 - 07:22 AM UTC
Thank you matt, im working on it now as we speak, well I say I, I mean my wife has highjacked it and she's repainting the wheels, getting all the camo lines cleaned up and covering the missed parts etc, want to get some colour on the tracks tonight but slow progress with the camo. Just have to wait and see what gets done!

Bronzey
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 - 07:59 AM UTC
Wish I had a wife to do all of the tedious parts.
bronzey
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 - 09:16 AM UTC
Ok guys,

So made some headway tonight, still not happy but I think its the best im going to get it with what I have. Please do add any comments guys and matt, my wife only interested in the painting side of things, did try to get her onboard for cuting out 160+ track links but she didn't like the sound of that lol

Bronzey
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 - 11:09 AM UTC
The tracks look brilliant!
bronzey
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 06:07 AM UTC
Thank you matt, the tracks still need a second coat, followed by a dry brushing of steel to give it a metal used look, the paint I use is from lifecolours set for tracks, comes with paint and pigments, very useful I find.

Bronzey
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 06:57 AM UTC
I've considered picking up the Lifecolor set, before. From the sound of it, I need to. I look forward to how the tracks turn out.
bronzey
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 09:32 AM UTC
Well im calling this one pretty much done much now. Wash etc done and tracks finished.

Matt, the life colour set comes with a 'reflective agent' pigment, at the time I got it there was no details on how to use it anywhere but now learnt that your to mix it with one of the track colours and brush with a stiff brush when dry, the result is a worn looking track, taken a picture of the tracks to show you, its very easy to use with good results.

Bronzey
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 09:41 AM UTC
Alex: Thank you for the info and the photo. Could you post a few more photos of the finished build?
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 09:46 AM UTC
Looks nice so far!

Iīve built and painted 4 of Revellīs T-80 (standard) and painted them with the camouflage of a computer-game. (Novalogicīs Comanche 3)

Also I have one "BV"-kit in progress.
One was completed years ago... another one is in progress.

greetings and thanks for sharing...
Soeren
bronzey
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 08:42 PM UTC
Gorizont,

Thank you for you comments, this is only my 4th completed kit I've done, its strange as when I started modelling last year I came into it with a strong interest in UK/USA modern armor yet I look at my stash (all be it a massive five kits...) and I look at what I have built and I have collected more Russian/soviet armor than anything else! I find them so interesting and such beasts, got a T90 in 1/35 im itching to start!

Matt,

Of course I can post more pictures, I will take some later once I have slept as I've just finished my night shift, and sharing information is what makes this site so good, I have learnt every skill of my modelling tool box from here, so its a pleasure to give back!

Bronzey
bronzey
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 02:17 AM UTC
Ok so the more this beauty sat inbmy cabinet the more she bugged me, dont get me wrong she looks good, just not great.......

This lead me to do some more work on her and here is some pictures!

As always all comments are welcome!

Bronzey

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 01:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok so the more this beauty sat inbmy cabinet the more she bugged me, dont get me wrong she looks good, just not great.......

This lead me to do some more work on her and here is some pictures!

I think all builders suffer from this problem.
bronzey
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 08:09 AM UTC
Its a hard place to be, because I look at them and want to improve them but I fear that I may 'cock it up' and ruin the look it does have, want to add paint chips to this but haven't yet as don't 100% know how to go about it, never done it before

Bronzey
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 08:46 AM UTC
There are several methods, for chipping the paint. I, however, am a 1:35 scale builder and don't know the methods for 1:72. Just remember, you practice on every build. Eventually, you will have the techniques down.
bronzey
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 12:09 PM UTC
Matt,

I prefer 1/35 scale, picked up this kit for Ģ2.50 so I couldn't say no, tend to use 1/72 scale for quick fun builds and use 1/35 for my more impressive subjects. Will weather it at some point, going to do some research and come back to it.

Bronzey
 _GOTOTOP