_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
My M4 105mm Sherman
boman
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 09:16 PM UTC
My Dragon M4 105mm Sherman. This is my first Armour kit, in many, many years. I have been lurking around here since 2006 :-). Any criticisms, tips help, and comments greatly appreciated.

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 10:52 PM UTC
Hi Darren and welcome back! Great job on your first model in a long time .. You might want to add some dark pin washes to some of the panel lines and even to the mud to try to vary the color a bit.. keep up the good work!

Rick
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 481 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 04:06 AM UTC
Darren
Great work, I am jealous I just built my first armor kit the Tamiya M4A3. I wish it came out like yours. Can't wait to see the next one.

Euge
boman
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Darren and welcome back! Great job on your first model in a long time .. You might want to add some dark pin washes to some of the panel lines and even to the mud to try to vary the color a bit.. keep up the good work!

Rick

It does have some dark washes, the pics make it seem a lot brighter than it is. But I feel the mud needs some more work,
boman
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Darren
Great work, I am jealous I just built my first armor kit the Tamiya M4A3. I wish it came out like yours. Can't wait to see the next one.

Euge

Thank you. I have a little Schwimwagen too.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hi Darren: Thanks for sharing your model with us -- nice work! Here are some areas that could enhance this or future builds for you:

1) use your digital phots. Looking at the 2D image, you can see things your eye might otherwise miss on the real model. I see areas of your suspension and lower hull walls where you missed adding weathering/dirt/mud.

2) using pre-made stowage can be a timesaver -- but make sure you file/cut/form the items so they conform to the tank surfaces. Your pile of bedrolls/sacks, etc "floats" over the engine deck. Try to make sure everything conforms like real bags/bedrolls would

3) The inside of the turret mounted spotlamp cylinder wasn't silver but olive drab. That cylinder was a shroud to direct the light beam

4) Here are pics of how most US-made tail lights appeared:

5) Perhaps replace the tie down rope you have across the jerry cans? It appears very out of scale. I use embroidery thread: right diameter and no "fuzziness" made by the loose fibers.

Hope these help! Keep up the good work
boman
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 08:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Darren: Thanks for sharing your model with us -- nice work! Here are some areas that could enhance this or future builds for you:

1) use your digital phots. Looking at the 2D image, you can see things your eye might otherwise miss on the real model. I see areas of your suspension and lower hull walls where you missed adding weathering/dirt/mud.

2) using pre-made stowage can be a timesaver -- but make sure you file/cut/form the items so they conform to the tank surfaces. Your pile of bedrolls/sacks, etc "floats" over the engine deck. Try to make sure everything conforms like real bags/bedrolls would

3) The inside of the turret mounted spotlamp cylinder wasn't silver but olive drab. That cylinder was a shroud to direct the light beam

4) Here are pics of how most US-made tail lights appeared:

5) Perhaps replace the tie down rope you have across the jerry cans? It appears very out of scale. I use embroidery thread: right diameter and no "fuzziness" made by the loose fibers.

Hope these help! Keep up the good work

Thank you.
 _GOTOTOP