_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Trumpeter's BTR-50PK
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 12:40 PM UTC
I just bought this kit with the idea of depicting an early 1960's Soviet vehicle that would be used in the front lines, and from what I've read this was perfect. Since I wish to depict the earliest version feasible of this vehicle, is this kit suitable, and what should it look like?
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 10:38 PM UTC
Well it depends what you mean by 'early version'- the earliest version had an open-top crew compartment and cargo ramps on the rear deck (for loading field guns and small vehicles etc). However this version didn't last very long in service and due to various lessons learned during the 1956 Hungarian Uprising it is highly unlikely any open topped vehicles carrying this amount of troops would have been allowed near the front-line unless it was unavoidably necessary. By 1958 the version depicted in the Trumpeter kit, the 50PK with a fully armored crew compartment and the rear cargo ramps having been removed, was entering service and would have been on the front line in the early 1960s.

There are some pictures and discussion about the BTR-50 in this thread:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/184899

I hope this provides you with the info you need, if not let me know and I'll do some more digging.
 _GOTOTOP