_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
AFV Club Churchill MkIII 75mm gun
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 04:16 AM UTC
Hi all

This is the kit that was reviewed a few weeks ago on here.

This isn't quite finished, soot, guns + radio antenna still to do. Before I'm calling it done I thought I would ask for some feedback.

I used pigments on the tracks secured with pigment fixer. That made them slightly darker than I would've liked, so in order to blend them into the overall look I had to darken the sides a little more than I'd anticipated.

The whitewash didn't quite go as I would've like. I used the hairspray technique on this. More hairspray needed next time I think.

I used Mr Surfacer 1200 for the primer which turned into an issue throughout. It gave me a gritty finish that I found came off with the later hairspray technique resulting in losing much of the top layer of paint (and with it my attempt at CM!)

Oh well, never done hairspray technique before, so I guess it's not a bad 1st attempt. You might notice a passing resemblance to one of Mike Rinaldi's models (the Churchill MkIII!) I'm trying to work my way through some of the techniques Mike uses in his books... thanks for your help Mike, I managed to pull this back after the disaster trying to remove Vallejo paint!

It's only my third model - be kind

Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 04:23 AM UTC
Photos look a bit lighter than it actually is

This might be better?

Lol - Maybe not!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 05:59 AM UTC
Very nice job ..Love the weathered camo..

Rick
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 08:43 PM UTC
Lol.

The silence is deafening.

I'll try again
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 08:44 PM UTC
Thanks richard
66fastback
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 09:19 PM UTC
looks great I hope I can paint the same quality after being out of the hobby for 17 years.
If anything...... I would say the gun looks to clean compared to the rest of the tank.

great job
More important are you happy with the results?
I do know if you ask for opinions you will get them and everybody will have a different one.

So what do you think of your own work?

Eric
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 481 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 04:40 AM UTC
Andy

Wow that is only your 3 model holy smokes that rocks. I have only built 1 kit I hope my 2nd one comes out 1/3 of what you did I will be chiffed. Pure awesome it does look like the one in the book.

I think I need some Vallejo paints I see a lot of it being talked about. The ones I got destroyed one of my airbrushed and were really gummy. I can't wait to see your jags tiger. I am using your builds as motivating as a new armor guy my self
Euge
IronOwl
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 572 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 04:46 AM UTC
That's a nice looking kit I like the weathering as well.
I may pick one of those up for the Churchill Build.
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Sascha(Ironowl)
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 05:28 AM UTC
Andy,

If that's only your third model as you claim, then you are without a doubt a future "Model of The Month" winner.

You should be really pleased with how this Churchill has turned out. Well done mate.

Gary
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 - 01:21 AM UTC
What Churchill build??? Where, when , ???? Just checked the group build section...didn't see it! ... I'm building a VII right now and have an AVRE in the wind ...
Let me know...

Rick
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 11:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Andy

Wow that is only your 3 model holy smokes that rocks. I have only built 1 kit I hope my 2nd one comes out 1/3 of what you did I will be chiffed. Pure awesome it does look like the one in the book.

I think I need some Vallejo paints I see a lot of it being talked about. The ones I got destroyed one of my airbrushed and were really gummy. I can't wait to see your jags tiger. I am using your builds as motivating as a new armor guy my self
Euge

Thanks Euge

I had a similar problem with Vallejo paints. Turned out it was because I was mixing them with Tamiya Thinner?
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 11:39 PM UTC
Thanks guys

After finally plucking up the courage to post my work, I felt like I was in a room full of art critics, I was relatively pleased with the result... but I felt like everyone was walking past my picture - lol

I'll get on and chuck some soot at that barrel and exhausts.

Also been researching how to take better photos as these were a bit amateurish - I'll get some better ones next time out.

Thanks for your kind words, now I want to share the second model I did, but I think I'll wait a few weeks ;-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 11:59 PM UTC
Hi Andy.
You cannot always expect an immediate reply .... this is the holiday period and with good weather, most may be making the most of the good weather. Patience my friend.

The faded whitewash looks great, great first attempt.
My criticism is to think more about the weathering colours you have used. You have a faded whitewash which should give a cold winter effect, but there are warm red tones in the weathering/dusting, which conflict with the tone and the effect you are after. Use darker browns with some blue and/or purple mixed in to keep the cold tone. Even greys work. The same goes for the large exhaust ... not too orange/red ... more dark browns with purple mixed in.
Also try to keep the depth in the details when you make effects like this. They have a bad habit of burying the depth and detail, which on most vehicles take away from a finish. The Churchill has strong contours and holds its own, but not all winter vehicles have this luxury. Some light panel washes with a dark grey should do the trick (even blend in some dark blue in this).
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 10:10 AM UTC
don't blacken the barrel! looks cool but not realistic ..Powder was smokeless in WWII .... You can wear the whitewash off and make the green show more but not black..please..
The guns were cleaned often and it is very rare (I'm sure some will put up a picture)to see blackening

Rick

_GOTOTOP