_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M41 Bulldog
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 09:34 AM UTC
Hey guys here is my third armor model, a Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog, the base is a piece of cardboard, and once again some HO scale turf and grass. Took me about 5 days or so to build this kit, the tracks give me a bit of a hassle, but I was able to overcome them, the kit builds pretty easy and fit I thought was ok.

I painted this model once again with Tamiya acrylics. I did paint the tail lights, I took some photo's a bit premature.

Thanks for looking!

Darksolstice
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 12:13 PM UTC
nicely done! I have the same kit and had a blast doing it, it was my first kit in 35 years !! very nice !!
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 361 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 12:50 PM UTC
I agree nicely done.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 02:43 PM UTC
A nice, neat build. May I suggest instead of using cardboard for the base, many craft stores, such as Michaels, or Hobby Lobby, carry inexpensive wood plaques of various sizes and shapes that only require a little stain and a clear coat. It would add a nice touch to the display as well as being a more sturdy support. Secondly, you should paint the vision ports surrounding the commander's hatch. Some people use a glossy black, or a very dark blue, avoid silver. I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your work. Al
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A nice, neat build. May I suggest instead of using cardboard for the base, many craft stores, such as Michaels, or Hobby Lobby, carry inexpensive wood plaques of various sizes and shapes that only require a little stain and a clear coat. It would add a nice touch to the display as well as being a more sturdy support. Secondly, you should paint the vision ports surrounding the commander's hatch. Some people use a glossy black, or a very dark blue, avoid silver. I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your work. Al

thank you for the tips, I will make those changes, I usually use a ceramic square tile as a base, but I only have 12 by 12 squares, and since this is a 1/35 scale kit, but smaller in size compared to the abrams and merk 1 I built, I decided to just use the carboard. I don't plan on taking this to any contest's or shows, so I wasn't too worried about the base. I had a blast building this kit, and building armor is a really good time. I'm learning a lot, and I plan on doing my first dio here in the very near future, I just need to get better at modeling tanks. Everyone here though has been very nice and very helpful.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 02:52 PM UTC
You're welcome, as for the base, it's just that I'd be worried about a sudden 'structural failure' of the cardboard sending the model crashing to the floor. Al
PzDave
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 03:46 PM UTC
Ditto on the comments about using a wooden base. They are not expensive at all. Just the stained base is OK to use without the ground and turf. Try your hand on some weathering too. Sometimes it does not have to be a lot, just a little will do too! dark washes and lightening up some paint for highlighting with a dry brush.
You did great and you are brave too post on the website. More guts than I have!! Keep building.
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 03:11 AM UTC
I'm a big fan of using ceramic tile for a base, they seem to fit 1/35 scale tanks very well, that's generally what I use, but this one is a bit smaller and cardboard seemed like a natural fit, It's sitting on a shelf so I have no worries about it coming crashing to the floor.

I did dry brush a lot of areas and weathered a few areas, I just didn't go over the top with it, I might go a little more extreme on the weathering for my next build, we will have to see!
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 03:57 PM UTC
G.Houle
great start keep up the good work just a suggestion for your wearthering kry a wash it will bring out the detal in the model also try replasing the grab handels with some fine wire and fro the vision ports i like to use a clear green over black good luck
dave
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

G.Houle
great start keep up the good work just a suggestion for your wearthering kry a wash it will bring out the detal in the model also try replasing the grab handels with some fine wire and fro the vision ports i like to use a clear green over black good luck
dave

thanks for the tips, I will try to remember those helpers for the next build.
 _GOTOTOP