_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
M561 Gama Goat Image Report
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 01:11 AM UTC
Jeremy Hengest shares quite a few photos of Tamiya's upcoming 1:35 M561 Gama Goat...enjoy!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 01:58 AM UTC
I want!! Any one know of a pre-order site?
pstansell
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Armorama: 163 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 02:39 AM UTC
Holy Toledo! It's real! Good scoop.
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 03:16 AM UTC
!!!!

She's so ugly that its beautiful!!
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 345 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 05:00 AM UTC
jaw dropped.. never ever expected a Gama Goat to make it onto the market.. let alone Tamiya being the one to do it... truly a masterful surprise
shuber57
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 05:04 AM UTC
I just saw the images of this kit. Some of the molding looks a little basic by todays standards. Any chance this was a kit tooled in the 1980's but never released. It reminds me in some ways of the old Sgt. York kit and some of those in that time period. Especially the molded stowage rings. Also the split winch.
48thscale
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 05:12 AM UTC
Seriously strange machine...so strange I need to get one I'm afraid, an nice full crew would be very nice though...but that is true for anything on wheels, right?
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just saw the images of this kit. Some of the molding looks a little basic by todays standards. Any chance this was a kit tooled in the 1980's but never released. It reminds me in some ways of the old Sgt. York kit and some of those in that time period. Especially the molded stowage rings. Also the split winch.

Knowing Tamiya it would not shock me that this was an old design and mold that was never released.
I also find the instructions to look a little aged as well.
Something does seem sort of fishy now that you have mentioned it.

I'm sure though the aftermarket and a little scratching will help.
jargonking
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 06:02 AM UTC
As usual Tamiya release a kit of something completely off-the-wall and already the nay-sayers are out in force pulling it apart before it is even officially released. No doubt these are the same people who complain about Dragon releasing yet another Pz IV variant....there's really no pleasing some people.
jargonking
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 06:09 AM UTC
BTW the reason the instructions look different is because it is a test shot....anyone who has built one will know that you are often lucky to get any instructions at all, many of the tests I've built have just been sprues in a bag
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 06:47 AM UTC
I actually like the simplified chassis and suspension system that makes the building process simple and quick.. and it is a part that basically can't be seen.

The thing is that even if the suspension is made of 100 parts with PE.. after painting and weathering with mud and stuff like that.. it will look the same as a simplified suspension (at least to my eyes).. which means going back to the "I know the detail is there" thing! I personally would rather have a simplified chassis that doesn't take that long so I can spend more time on the really fun part.. which is the painting an the weathering.

Anyway, just my personal opinion on the subject

Hisham
Cobrahistorian
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 710 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 07:22 AM UTC
Looking forward to it! As usual, if anyone needs references, let me know. I've got one sitting in my storage tent.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 08:01 AM UTC
Iain is absolutely correct about the instructions. They are just a test version printed on very thin sheets of paper stapled together. Sometimes these things lack instructions or decals as he mentioned.

Also of note, the headlight lenses are very well molded and have the diffusion pattern molded into them. My current camera just doesn't pick up very small objects very well. They look really good, as do the headlight buckets, but you will need to add bulbs in the buckets. The windshield "glass" is also distortion free.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 08:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

jaw dropped.. never ever expected a Gama Goat to make it onto the market.. let alone Tamiya being the one to do it... truly a masterful surprise

Agree 100%, I can't wait to get my hands of a few of these
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 10:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I actually like the simplified chassis and suspension system that makes the building process simple and quick.. and it is a part that basically can't be seen.

Anyway, just my personal opinion on the subject

Hisham

Actually, it's extremely simplified. Here's ours, simplified...

A Gama Goat suspension doesn't have solid axles, but rather there are articulation plates with butterfly shafts to the hubs for the front and rear, and A-frames with butterfly shafts to the center hubs. Simple is correct.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 12:04 PM UTC
I just hope it comes out with a reasonable price tag
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 12:11 PM UTC
$50, at least, you watch
pstansell
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 02:01 PM UTC
VERY interesting theory. I do remember how they were cranking them out in those days. Maybe Mr. Tamiya got cold feet...
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 04:21 PM UTC
Wow, it has a lot of detailed parts for such small vehicle! Looking forward to the release.
jargonking
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 10:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

VERY interesting theory. I do remember how they were cranking them out in those days. Maybe Mr. Tamiya got cold feet...

So someone doesn't like the moulded on detail and suddenly there's a theory that this is somehow a 'lost' mould from way back?
What I see is a typical Tamiya kit that will practically fall together straight from the box and provide even a novice modeller with a reasonably accurate replica of the real thing.
If you want every tiny item to be a separate part then go to Dragon or Trumpeter or wait for the inevitable aftermarket kit....or you could actually scratchbuild the stowage rings etc and put your own personal stamp on it whilst developing your modelling skills.
Tamiya's aircraft and auto kits are welcomed by those who build them yet any armour kit seems to attract unfair criticism and ludicrous conspiracy theories. Is it any wonder they hardly bother with new armour releases these days?
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 10:24 PM UTC
Regarding the price.. their latest release, which is a totally new JGSDF Type 10 tank is a pretty sizable kit and sells in Hong Kong for around $32 plus about $13 shipping, so a total price of $45. So, I seriously doubt this will be more expensive than that.

Hisham
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 01:10 AM UTC
It would be nice if the production kits come in the light grey colored styrene. They do it for other lines (a/c, ships, etc.). Has Tamiya released any recent 1/35 or 1/48 military vehicle kits in light grey styrene before???

I recall a medium grey styrene in the German dispatch rider with cycle and the German bicyclists. Any in light grey?
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It would be nice if the production kits come in the light grey colored styrene. They do it for other lines (a/c, ships, etc.). Has Tamiya released any recent 1/35 or 1/48 military vehicle kits in light grey styrene before???

I recall a medium grey styrene in the German dispatch rider with cycle and the German bicyclists. Any in light grey?

I think in this case, the color of the styrene, Tamiya is definitely stuck in their past mindset that their AFV kits are (were) toys. They finally got away from the motorization legacies (molded in battery holders, switch holes, hex-nut keys in the drive sprocket axle holes, etc). The final hold outs are "authentic" plastic colors, poly caps and poly bearings in the wheels, and open hull sponsons.

I agree, though, it would be nice to see this kit in a light gray vice the predictable dark OD green plastic.

The engineering and design seems pretty standard for Tamiya, both of which have remained very consistent for years. I don't think there is much difference in the way they design their AFV kits now and the way they did it in the 80's. Tamiya has been very "static" in their design approach to AFV kits, showing hardly any of the innovation that they've shown with their A/C, automotive (especially!) and nautical kit lines.

But, I simply don't believe (without having some insider info) it's possible for anyone to say that somehow this kit is an un-released holdover from days gone by.

However, having said all the above and just going by the sprue shots and instructions, I do think this is a nice looking kit.

It definitely fills a void in available subjects. The ol' Gamma Goat was staple in the US military for a couple of decades and always quite common (in the background) during most field operations. Anyone interested in AFV's from the 70's and 80's should be very happy to see the Gamma Goat released.
pstansell
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 03:40 AM UTC
It was the subject, not the molding that I thought lent credence to the theory of the kit being an older concept.

We'll never know!
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 03:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya is definitely stuck in their past mindset that their AFV kits are (were) toys. They finally got away from the motorization legacies (molded in battery holders, switch holes, hex-nut keys in the drive sprocket axle holes, etc). The final hold outs are "authentic" plastic colors, poly caps and poly bearings in the wheels, and open hull sponsons.

So long as it doesn't require making the parts out of scale to accommodate them, I'm in favor of the poly retainer bushings. It makes things easier when installing tracks and painting to be able to readily remove the suspension parts.

KL
 _GOTOTOP