_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
first try with hairspray.....
bronzey
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hello all,

Ok so wanted to learn this hairspray technique everyone is always talking about, so took a 'spare kit' knocked her up and this is my result, im happy with it to be honest but I wanted to ask those that know how it should look not just that i was happy with it, so all welcome to comment good or bad!

Bronzey
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 09:57 AM UTC
It's a bit overkill for a Soviet military vehicle, but overall it looks really good. What brand of hairspray did you use?
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 10:20 AM UTC
Hi Alex,

You seem to have cracked it as far as getting chips is concerned. The thing about this technique is doing small areas at a time, you have more control over the amount of chipping you achieve, also if you want to practice further try different tools to get the chips. Cocktail sticks, cut down old brushes, inter-dental brushes, dressmaking pins, they all produce varied and interesting results. Keep up the good work.

All the best,

Paul
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 12:02 PM UTC
Alex, I like it -- a good application of the technique. As in any technique, keep on doing it to gain proficiency. Agree with Paul above, experiment with various tools to make those chips and scratches. Cheers, Tat
bronzey
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 02:01 PM UTC
Cheers guys,

Yes agree that I should try other tools, that effect started when I added the water with a soft brush, to be honest I was so happy with what was happening with the soft brush i was to scared to try anything else! The look i am going for is a jeep that's been abandoned, hence the willingness to do alot of rust, the hairspray used is own branded from a UK store called Wilkinsons, it was cheap and cheerful so went with it. Next time when i do the 'rust' base coat i want to try and get different shades of rust, don't like how its all the same colour of rust no matter where on the model it is.

Bronzey
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 11:09 PM UTC
Hi Alex,

I hope you got the unscented, the stuff I nicked off the wife makes my model room smell like an hairdressers for days afterwards .

All the best,

Paul
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 01:11 AM UTC
looks pretty good, nice work, and keep on learning and trying new things!
bronzey
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 01:52 PM UTC
Paul,

Funny you say that, when I went to get it I was sniffing the different cans to see of they would leave a smell, my 5 year son was with me who had to question what I was doing, needless to say my answer of 'trying to see if daddys models will smell when I cover them in this' was taken COMPLETELY the wrong way by the young female store assistant that was a few feet away from me!

G.houle,

Yes I will keep trying different things, I can read 100's of books etc but nothing teaches better than your own mistakes!

Bronzey
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... my answer of 'trying to see if daddys models will smell when I cover them in this' was taken COMPLETELY the wrong way by the young female store assistant that was a few feet away from me!...

bronzey
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 - 09:41 AM UTC
So taken what was said here and 2nd try is a cut up van for the postcard campaign, used a combo of paintbrush, paintbrush handle, kabab stick, cotton buds, pigments and oil paints

Bronzey
Charleygnarlyp290
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC
Bronzey, that half-van rust-job looks like some of the old VW beetles I saw this last weekend at the beach.
Looks really good.
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 04:03 AM UTC
Good fun to experiment Alex. Did the hair spray thing myself and liked the results. As for getting different colours of rust/metal work try layering the colours. That is, put down one colour, hairspray, work it, seal it then put down another colour, hairspray, work it, seal it and so on until your happy to put on the final coat of colour that being the actual colour of the paint for the piece. Play around and see what works for you. It's all part of the fun.
 _GOTOTOP