_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Making a paved road look worn and dusty
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 05:11 AM UTC
Hi
I need some advice on how to make a modern road in Russia look worn and dusty. I'm building a vignette approximately 6x6 inches square of a Russian T-62 on the side of the road. Now I heard of a technique from MIG called pre dusting, it seems to work well on the vehicles but what about in this situation? Any suggestions will help.
Thank you
mvaiano
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,054 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 07:48 AM UTC
Hi Jody!

This is not exactly a diorama and not exactly a Russian road , but I used sand VA paint and some pigments over a piece of black sand paper to get this.

I hope it can help you.

Cheers!

Marco
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 02:40 AM UTC
If by a 'modern' road you mean a paved road, I would use earth colored pigments brushed over the surface.
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 05:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi
I need some advice on how to make a modern road in Russia look worn and dusty. I'm building a vignette approximately 6x6 inches square of a Russian T-62 on the side of the road. Now I heard of a technique from MIG called pre dusting, it seems to work well on the vehicles but what about in this situation? Any suggestions will help.
Thank you

Jody

I would paint the road the basic colour you intend and give it washes with black, brown, and ochre. Very thinned down paint.

I would then apply some black, brown, and ochre oil filters and blend them in using white spirit making sure it is not too strong to lift your base colour.

When dry I wouls then lightly dry brush with a lighter colour of your base paint.

Finaly I would give it a light dust with a brown or dust coloured pigment. either light or dark or both depending on the colour you are looking for.

Cheers

Gerry
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 07:36 PM UTC
I would start by painting the road black. Then, paint the outside third, on each side Tamiya NATO black. Go back over the entire road with a filter of either Tamiya buff or MM sand. On the outside 1/8-1/12 edges with a darker wash. I think MM dark tan would be appropriate.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 10:36 PM UTC
Sometimes to get a certain physical effect, you got to plan when building and not waiting for painting alone. Adding cracks in the surface, with some weeds and grass growing out of them, as well as various sized pot holes .... will give the desired worn affect before you even start painting.
YouŽll get as many methods as youŽll get replies here. All will probably work, but the main idea is to have a very flat finish, to imply the dust effect. Pastels finish off this effect nicely, but be sure to add some of this last stage weathering to your model as well.
 _GOTOTOP