_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 Suez Crisis 1956 Centurion- best kit?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 10:57 AM UTC
One thing to notice on some of the very excellent builds you'll find online is that at least two builds have the spare wheel mounted on the rear of the turret. I have not seen this in any photos, but I have seen it mounted behind the rear plate, on the triangular shaped tow cable mount. Also, another reason I used the Tamiya kit is that it was easier to do the two inch "bomb thrower" on the roof of that one, which was necessary for Iron Mouse.
AUSTanker
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 10:48 PM UTC

Gentlemen, thanks- this is some great info!

What do you make of those extended mud guards on the front and back fenders of "Nasser's Nightmare?" Do any of the existing Cent kits have them, or shall I pull out the sheet styrene and eyeball the dimensions, using the timeless US Army S>W>A>G> method?

Best, Christian

PS SWAG- "Scientific, Wild-A@# Guess!"
bigmal
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 211 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 02:27 AM UTC
Non of the current crop of Centurion kits provide the extended track guards nor do the after-market PE and resin sets, so they will have to be scratch built.

Malc
AUSTanker
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 01:19 AM UTC
Many Thanks, Tom, from an old CAV tank gunner!

Best, Christian

"OVER, UNDER, or THROUGH!"

-104th Cavalry, 28th Infantry Division

AUSTanker
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 01:04 AM UTC
Gentlemen: Many thanks for all the info- am compling a ton of notes on Suez Cents.

Question- are there any appropriate 1/35 figures out there for British tankers in the Suez Crisis? In the Pathe news clip, the Cent crew seems to be wearing dark (black?) coveralls and black berets.

Could I use WW Two Brit tanker figures? But the down side to that is many of them are in Euro cold weather gear-- having served as an Abrams tank gunner in a huge wargame near Alexandria, Egypt, I know that a leather jerkin vest s the last thing you'd want to wear there.

I know the re-released Tamiya Matilda has 2 crew figures in short sleeve shirts, but they might be more accurate for 1942 than 1956...any suggestions? Thanks!
AUSTanker
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 01:08 AM UTC
Gentlemen, many thanks for all the info- am compiling a ton of notes!

Question- are there any appropriate 1/35 figures out there for Brit tankers in the Suez circa 1956? I could start with some WW Two Brit tanker figures, but they are usually wearing Euro cold weather clothes. Having served as a tank gunner in a wargame near Alexandria, I know that a leather jerkin vest is the last thing you'd want to wear there.

The Pathe news clip shows a Cent crew in what appear to be dark colored coveralls and black berets. The re-released Tamiya Matilda has 2 decent crew figures, in short sleeve khaki shirts and berets, but they might be more appoprirate ofr 1942 than 1956...any thoughts? Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP