_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Where to find 1970's US Army uniform figures
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 09:01 AM UTC
All I can seem to find are figures wearing the blouse and cargo pants.

I'm looking for the typical uniform worn early 1970's.

I beleive it's a long sleeve heavy green cotton shirt exposed buttons, and tucked into trouses with inside front pockets and rear hip pockets (but no baggy cargo pockets) and of course either the ball cap or steel pot with the large leaf reversible pattern cover.

Of course these could also come in tan/khaki for garrison.

Other than the couple of crude figures that come with the Tamyia M557 sitting around a card table I can't seem to find any.

These would be essential for Cold War dioramas and I can't imagine they don't exist. I tried some WWII figures but the leggings around the boot and pants cuff give it away. Plus, most have some sort of jacket on.

I'd love to find some with the ever so common old m65 field jacket on. Everyone I know has one of these jackets stashed away some where even if not a military nut, so seems like its common enough they would have done figures like that.
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 354 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi Bruce,

i think that will be impossible to find those Figures. You could use other US Figures from Vietnam or first Gulf warb era and cut off the pockets. Than you can use some putty like MS or GS and sculpt the pockets you want. A complete Figure with that Uniform you search i never seen in 1/35 or any other scale. Interesting Project and good luck.

Stefan
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bruce,

i think that will be impossible to find those Figures. You could use other US Figures from Vietnam or first Gulf warb era and cut off the pockets. Than you can use some putty like MS or GS and sculpt the pockets you want. A complete Figure with that Uniform you search i never seen in 1/35 or any other scale. Interesting Project and good luck.

Stefan

Thanks for the ideas. I've used a couple in BDUs w steel pots and added putty to sculpt the M65 field jacket. Turned out okay, but I think that if I did this on more than one figure per setting it'd be obvious that they wouldn't match due to my mediocre sculpting skills! Was hoping to find some designed that way to begin with... even a parka with the hood and fur like was so popular, or rain jacket.

Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 616 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 07:20 AM UTC
Bruce,

I've been looking for years for those type of figures. Nobody makes them. I have had to convert Vietnam figures to get what I have needed. It would be great if some company would produce 70's US figures that were not in jungle fatigues. It would make doing USAEUR vehicles and Dios a lot easier.

Dave
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bruce,

I've been looking for years for those type of figures. Nobody makes them. I have had to convert Vietnam figures to get what I have needed. It would be great if some company would produce 70's US figures that were not in jungle fatigues. It would make doing USAEUR vehicles and Dios a lot easier.

Dave

That's for sure! My latest obsession is the Cold War, primarily 1970s - 1985 or so. I'd think so many of us grew up at school practicing Duck and Cover from the "bomb" that this time period of living on the edge of nuclear winter would be of more interest than old nazi armor that never made it off the drafting table! I keenly remember Carol Saigon's speech about mutually assured destruction "imagine two men standing knee deep in gasoline, each has a book of matches..."
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 09:00 AM UTC
The TC from the Tamiya M1 kit was dressed in the OG-107 shirt & trousers... He wil need a new head and possibly new arms but is a starting point in in a plastic figure. The 4.2/107mm Mortar crew, found in the M106 mortar track kit, as well as a separate kit I think, are also in 1970's-early 80's OG style garb.

Me thinks that I have several of each around someplace.

John
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 09:23 AM UTC
Maybe some of these figures will help get you a little closer:

These two guys are wearing the utility uniform as seen in your first photo:
Hobby Fan LZ X-Ray

Something similar to your third photo:
Verlinden Universal Soldier

These two sets are made up of 1/2 and 3/4 figures. If you're planning on using them outside of a vehicle you might be able to add some legs. Of course you'll need to swap out the heads.
Verlinden Israeli Tank Crew

Verlinden NATO Tank Crew
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe some of these figures will help get you a little closer:

These two guys are wearing the utility uniform as seen in your first photo:
Hobby Fan LZ X-Ray

Something similar to your third photo:
Verlinden Universal Soldier

These two sets are made up of 1/2 and 3/4 figures. If you're planning on using them outside of a vehicle you might be able to add some legs. Of course you'll need to swap out the heads.
Verlinden Israeli Tank Crew

Verlinden NATO Tank Crew

Very cool. I just ordered the Mortar Crew and I have a first production Tamyia M1 that I'll dig out the crew member for. And the Hobby Fan and figures referenced above will work good too. Thanks all!
 _GOTOTOP