_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
For the Sherman Guys.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 09:38 PM UTC
I am looking for the correct mantlet for a Mk.III Sherman as would have been seen in Africa. More specifically, Tunisia. I have seen photos of the three piece mantlet and the solid cast one. Both of these say that they were seen in Tunisia. The directions call for the three piece mantlet, but the single piece is included. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 09:58 PM UTC
The mantlet was the armor surrounding the 75mm gun. What you're referring to is the differential cover which serves as the "nose" of the tank.

Early Sherman IIIs could be seen with either -- dependent on which factory made it. I don't have my "Son of Sherman" book with me handy but someone could look it up for you.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 10:34 PM UTC
No. I mean the mantlet. The Mk.III #6313 Dragon kit has a one piece, cast mantlet included. I have since discovered that the multi-part(should be "two", not "three" piece) mantlet is correct.
IamTJones
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 10:40 PM UTC
I'm by no means any expert on Shermans, but a little google magic has brought up this:

http://www-legend.co.kr/01_afv01.html?table=product&st=view&page=9&id=321&limit=&keykind=&keyword=&bo_class=1&fpage=&spage=

Is that what you're looking for?
Strikerfoxx
Visit this Community
Pas-de-Calais, France
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 10:47 PM UTC
I guess this is the kind of mantlet you're looking for

M34 mantlet + small one for coaxial machine gun, right ?

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess this is the kind of mantlet you're looking for

M34 mantlet + small one for coaxial machine gun, right ?

That's the one.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi Matt,

The early M34 Gun Mount with narrow mantlet (your "three piece" one) was standard at the time the British were receiving tanks in the desert. From the new Son of Sherman book, the later M34A1 Combination Gun Mount with the wider one-piece shield was entering production around March/April '43. There might have been a few available towards the very end of the Africa campaign, but all the pics I've seen show the narrow one.

And there are pics of narrow gun shields lasting right the way through to VE day...

Hope this helps!
Strikerfoxx
Visit this Community
Pas-de-Calais, France
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 02:15 AM UTC
You can pick the one from newTMD (the one on the picture) or find it in some tasca kits using the sprue 35010-j-y (or buy that sprue from tasca shops)
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can pick the one from newTMD (the one on the picture) or find it in some tasca kits using the sprue 35010-j-y (or buy that sprue from tasca shops)

The Dragon offering is quite sharply detail and I see no difference between it and the TMD one.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The Dragon offering is quite sharply detail and I see no difference between it and the TMD one.

If you're a Shermaholic as I am, you might even find what you're looking for in your "Spares"...
stevieneon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 05:45 AM UTC
What turret do you need it for? Which kit and brand? Dragon and Tasca not interchangeable. If its just the machine gun cover you need i can send you one from UK.
Stevie.
stevieneon
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 05:49 AM UTC
What turret do you need it for? Which kit and brand? Dragon and Tasca not interchangeable. If its just the machine gun cover you need i can send you one from UK. Or if its the mantlet with the two bits sticking out to protect the gun Im sure i have one of those spare too. Let me know. Slightly confused hat you want or need!
Stevie.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 09:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No. I mean the mantlet. The Mk.III #6313 Dragon kit has a one piece, cast mantlet included. I have since discovered that the multi-part(should be "two", not "three" piece) mantlet is correct.

I don't need any turret. The one supplied is correct, as are the parts called for.
stevieneon
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I don't need any turret. The one supplied is correct, as are the parts called for.

Ok. I get it now. Reading earlier on my mobile phone at work, so kinda missed that section! confused.com Stevie.
 _GOTOTOP