_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Diggers in the desert
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 05:24 AM UTC
Since I am still on down time I decided to get on this new set from MB. I really like it. The box art is awesome as well.
One of the very first war movies I remember seeing was about tough Aussies in the western desert so I picked out a Hornet head that just screamed"COME AND GET IT JERRY!!!". He is on his trusty Vickers.
Two questions for my Aussie buddies,
Is this tin hat looking correct? I think yes but am no expert
What would the proper kit be for a gunner? Pistol?
I kind of doubt he and his asst.would be wearing backpack,etc in a semi static position?

Took about 3 hours yesterday to do the undercuttin,etc.I didn't do the arms yes. They are just tacked on as is the tin hat.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 05:26 AM UTC
OK,how in the heck do I keep getting double posts?
J
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 05:37 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

Overactive mouse, in other words you've double clicked by mistake.

You can delete the other post or ask one of the mods to do it for you.

I'd say the gunner would have had ammo pouches, although it would be possible for him to have a pistol depending on events.

Cheers

Al
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 05:52 AM UTC
Thanks Alan for looking in and the info you provided.
Maybe if I politely ask the mods here they would remove the second post? I did the same thing with my Ramcke thread for pitys' sake.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 06:23 AM UTC
Jerry, could it be that you have a certain affinity for machine guns m8??
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 07:42 AM UTC
I've been looking at this kit for a while. Should be nice to see how it goes together.

Also, I don't think you could have described the facial expression any better hahaha. I know the movie your talking about...I'm pretty sure it was Tobruk? Good movie if so. If I remember correctly it was a bit more realistic than most of the other WWII movies around the time (No M47s as panzers)

-Conor
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hi Jerry the Tin hat looks a bit far back on the head and also if it is the kit tin hat it is I think a bit small. Be careful where you set the arms because you may have to adjust the tripod (Or the groundwork) to fit.
Alan McNeilly had a thread a while ago about whether diggers wore puttees in the desert I can't remember what the consensus was.

I reviewed this kit here on armorma https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/8803 it is a good kit but needs a lot of work which you should thrive on

Here's that thread diggers and puttees
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What would the proper kit be for a gunner? Pistol?
I kind of doubt he and his asst.would be wearing backpack,etc in a semi static position?

The gunner in the photo that the box art is based on is either wearing the small cartridge carriers
THE BRITISH ARMY IN NORTH AFRICA 1942
THE BRITISH ARMY IN NORTH AFRICA 1942© IWM (E 14569)

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 08:37 AM UTC
Feel the need to ask. Would these Aussies be the Desert Rats?
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 10:32 PM UTC
Love the face on this guy, says it all in the expression alone!

It appears, in the picture Pat posted, that the gunner has his entrenching tool strapped on- it seems to be sitting beside his left leg pointing out toward the camera. I would say they would likely have kept their e-tools handy as well as a water bottle of course!
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 11:20 PM UTC
Karl, that is a bayonet scabbard on his left mate...
Brian, the webbing in the photo worn appears to be the WW1 1908 pattern webbing (look like small cartridge carriers). It was not uncommon to see these worn by Aussies well into WW2 as alot of diggers had these until issued with 1937 pattern type webbing. In relation to pistol carriage, most where available Australian MG gunners (Number 1's) were issued pistols...and to this present day, all no.1 gunners carry a side arm. Hope this helps...Cheers guys, Jason
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 02:02 AM UTC
Wow,thanks guys. Excellent info all 'round. I think I will go with a pistol and water bottle on the gunner. I can see I will have to make some castings of the ammo box though as they is only one. That will not do.
Silly question number two. I can see how the water bottle hooks on to the webbing extension on the back but what does the other strap attach to? The webbing in the front?
Pat,I do see now that the tin hat is too far back but what brand of plastic hat is the correct scale size? Also,I am pretty ashamed that I already had forgotten the excellent threads going on about Aussies in the desert here. And I see I even posted on those same threads! Oy! This head injury is really getting on my nerves.
Romain,yes,I have MGs on the brain. I also have a German team inprogress using one of those outrageous K59 guns.
Thanks again guys,you all rock.J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been looking at this kit for a while. Should be nice to see how it goes together.

Also, I don't think you could have described the facial expression any better hahaha. I know the movie your talking about...I'm pretty sure it was Tobruk? Good movie if so. If I remember correctly it was a bit more realistic than most of the other WWII movies around the time (No M47s as panzers)

-Conor

Conor,I don't recall the name of the movie but it wasn't Tobruk. I thought Tobruk was pretty aweful. The movie I remember was from England I think,in black and white,and the theme song was Waltzing Matilda. There was a great action sequence showing an anti tank gun brewing up an Italian tank. Very realistic for its' day I thought. It was along the lines of our movie called "Battleground" which was very very good.
There have been several units called the Desert Rats but I beleive the official one was the British 7th Armd. Some one else may know?

J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

-Conor

Conor,I don't recall the name of the movie but it wasn't Tobruk. I thought Tobruk was pretty aweful. The movie I remember was from England I think,in black and white,and the theme song was Waltzing Matilda. There was a great action sequence showing an anti tank gun brewing up an Italian tank. Very realistic for its' day I thought. It was along the lines of our movie called "Battleground" which was very very good.
There have been several units called the Desert Rats but I beleive the official one was the British 7th Armd. Some one else may know?

J

Jerry, the goold old "Battleground Bastogne" is one of my all time favs, and so terribly realistic!!
Hardships of all kinds (one of my fav lines: "K-rations...all dinners") ... and rare bursts of heavy action, where you are a victim most of the time.
Far from Audie Murphy (thank God)!!!

R.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

-Conor

J

Jerry, the goold old "Battleground Bastogne" is one of my all time favs, and so terribly realistic!!
Hardships of all kinds (one of my fav lines: "K-rations...all dinners") ... and rare bursts of heavy action, where you are a victim most of the time.
Far from Audie Murphy (thank God)!!!

R.

My favorite part,speaking now as an old field soldier,is when the guys get hit with propaganda leaflets from an arty shell and after one of them picks one up and reads it ,another guy gathers a bunch of them and walks away into the brush to"take care of business". Hey,when nature calls.....

I re-posed the tin hat and added the pistol. I assume the pouch above it is an ammo pouch and if so,does the pouch and holster look natural?
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 09:59 AM UTC
The movie was called The Desert Rats

trailer

The Holster wasn't stitched to the small pouch afaik but had three C clips two vertical, by which it could be attached to the belt, and one horizontal by which it could be attached to a web loop on the bottom of the ammo pouch as you have it here so it is correct.

The best resource for any question on British web equipment is the excellent Karkee Web site
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 10:37 AM UTC
Jerry, the movie is 'The Desert Rats' starring Richard Burton, Robert Newton and James Mason. I just found my DVD... If you google it you can see just about all the Diggers have netting over their helmets too. All are wearing 37 type webbing too. Mind you if the dio is not based on the movie you could do the 1908 webbing.
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 10:39 AM UTC
Sorry Pat, did not see your post....beat me to it re the movie.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 11:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Karl, that is a bayonet scabbard on his left mate...

You are correct sir! E tool was the first thing that popped into my head, didn't even think about the bayonets!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 01:21 AM UTC
Ah yes,the desert rats. That is pretty obvious,which is why I didn't remember it probably.
I remember it through the filter of over 5 decades as being a good movie. Was it?
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 12:35 PM UTC
I should have read Pats' review more thoroughly before I started. This asst gunner is in a really awkward weird position. I have to re think this one.
J
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 - 05:35 AM UTC
One way to get around it would be to plan the groundwork around him. I don't know why they didn't go with the figure on the box front though
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One way to get around it would be to plan the groundwork around him. I don't know why they didn't go with the figure on the box front though

I know what you mean. Why fix something that
s not broken? The original pic looked great as is.
I will have to see how I can contort this guy into making some anatomical sense.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 - 08:38 AM UTC
Here is what I have so far after clean up,etc. He just looks weird.
J

strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 - 10:32 AM UTC
-Jerry, Looks like another great fig you've started!

Battleground, The Desert Rats - BOTH excellent War Cinema.

"....your mother was home when you left!"
"You're RIGHT!"...
"...Sound off...one...two..."
etc etc.

Thanks for posting this, Cheers
Dave
 _GOTOTOP