_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
US softskins and tanks, color primer?
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 03:13 AM UTC
Hi All

I want to know which color of primer paint if applicable,was used in softskins like jeeps and M4 Shermans?.

I saw some post, but I not sure if softskins also was primed, with the red/oxide color for prevent rust.

Regards,

Álvaro
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 03:26 AM UTC
There's no over arching rule. SOme parts were supplied already primered in grey or red oxide. Some weren't. Some entire systems were dipped in red oxide. Unless you get to period photos or speak with AFV restorers, you'll only left to guess.

By the way, I suspect you're asking this because you want to show some primer showing through. Do not fall into the fad of chipping and scratching US made vehicles.

Their top coats were often baked on and not prone to chipping. US paint adhesion was extremely strong. What is more realistic for models is to show areas where dust has been worn off by crew/cargo.
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 03:35 AM UTC
Hi Roy

Yes, I ask because I want to replicate the "chipping" in my Jeep and one Sherman.

So, I go for dust and wear instead of chipping.

Thanks!

Regards from the South

Álvaro
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There's no over arching rule. SOme parts were supplied already primered in grey or red oxide. Some weren't. Some entire systems were dipped in red oxide. Unless you get to period photos or speak with AFV restorers, you'll only left to guess.

By the way, I suspect you're asking this because you want to show some primer showing through. Do not fall into the fad of chipping and scratching US made vehicles.

Their top coats were often baked on and not prone to chipping. US paint adhesion was extremely strong. What is more realistic for models is to show areas where dust has been worn off by crew/cargo.

AGREED, 100%!!! US paint during WWII was far superior to anything else, even taking into account that US WWII-vintage paint wasn't equal to anything that we have today. Pre-1970s paint faded pretty quickly, even on civilian vehicles...
 _GOTOTOP