Hosted by Darren Baker
Leopard 2A7
poibrudda6
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 03:17 PM UTC
Aloha everyone!! So I'm looking into ordering the Y-Modelle conversion for the Leopard 2A7 and it states it is made for the Hobby Boss Danish Leopard 2A5. Does anyone know the problems I might encounter with the Hobby Boss kit? And as I'm building this as a German Leopard 2A7 would not the Germans use the same basic hull as the A6 version? If so could I not fit the Y-Modelle conversion onto the Tamiya kit (which I already have)?

Thank you in advance!!!
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 03:40 PM UTC
Aloha Kurt,
just checked Y-Modells homepage and found a comment from a German modeller that you could also use Tamiya`s Leopard 2 A6 as base. Problem solved.

Cheers
Hasn-Hermann
poibrudda6
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 - 08:51 AM UTC
Perfect!!! Thank you
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 - 12:43 PM UTC
Well...problem not solved...it's not as simple as just using the Tamiya hull with the conversion.

The Hobby Boss kit is used as the base for the conversion as it shares some common features with the Leopard 2A7+ version.

The Hobby Boss kit is soft in detail in some areas but the conversion assists with adding detail in the right places. You might want to consider using the Bronco Leo 2 track set.

You can't use the Tamiya hull on its own as the Hobby Boss Leo 2A5DK hull includes the proper angled glacis plate armour and the right side hull internal APU. The only way you could use the Tamiya hull is to kit bash it with the Hobby Boss hull parts.

Take a read of my review on Armorama for more details on the conversion.

Here is a very nice build of the conversion using the Y-Modelle conversion, the Hobby Boss kit, and the Tamiya kit.

http://www.panzer-modell.de/berichte/leo2a7plus/leo2a7.php

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/178524
poibrudda6
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 - 02:34 PM UTC
Knew there was more to it! Having read your articles before I know you to be quite the expert in the areas and I thank you for pointing these things out Jason. Maybe by the time I get to actually cutting plastic Trumpeter will do one!
 _GOTOTOP