_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
UNIVERSAL CARRIER MK.II "TEA TIME"
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
Armorama: 305 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 04:20 AM UTC
This is my latest completed project a Universal Carrier Mk.II. The kit is from Tamiya. The tracks were replaced with resin tracks from Resincast. Details were added from the spares box and some from scratch. Here are some pictures and comments and questions are always welcome.

Terry

BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 12:50 PM UTC
I've been luck enough to see this one in person!

Good to see you here Terry! I'm the new guy that was at the club last month.

Besides the whole topic and the whole team time/tea bag theme - I also like the highlighting of the details on the carrier.

Rifle stocks look good too - making wood look realistic has always been difficult for me. You've done an awesome job.

I missed the meeting this past week, but hope to see you the first Tuesday in October!
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Armorama: 356 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 11:34 PM UTC
Ya know, working in olive drab can be well, drab. I like what you've done here. There's plenty of color variation that keeps viewer interested and exploring farther. It's clean, easy to read. Nice! Looking forward to your next project.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 12:04 AM UTC
Hi Terry,

Good work on the carrier. The replacement tracks make a good improvement to the basic kit and you have lots of nice additional detail added for interest.

I like the tea bag lol,

The only improvement you might consider is adding some Mig pigments to the tracks and dusty up at the back of them. But if you like the clean look then no problem. The kit Bren is a bit chunky but if you have no replacement then it serves its purpose.

Always good to see another carrier and you made a good job of this one.

Cheers

Al
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been luck enough to see this one in person!

Good to see you here Terry! I'm the new guy that was at the club last month.

Besides the whole topic and the whole team time/tea bag theme - I also like the highlighting of the details on the carrier.

Rifle stocks look good too - making wood look realistic has always been difficult for me. You've done an awesome job.

I missed the meeting this past week, but hope to see you the first Tuesday in October!

Thanks Bruce!

Hope to see you in November! We need all the armor we can get. lol

Terry
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ya know, working in olive drab can be well, drab. I like what you've done here. There's plenty of color variation that keeps viewer interested and exploring farther. It's clean, easy to read. Nice! Looking forward to your next project.

Thanks J!

I have a M4A1 Sherman on the burner right now.

Terry
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 03:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terry,

Good work on the carrier. The replacement tracks make a good improvement to the basic kit and you have lots of nice additional detail added for interest.

I like the tea bag lol,

The only improvement you might consider is adding some Mig pigments to the tracks and dusty up at the back of them. But if you like the clean look then no problem. The kit Bren is a bit chunky but if you have no replacement then it serves its purpose.

Always good to see another carrier and you made a good job of this one.

Cheers

Al

Yes it could use a little dusting up.

Thanks Al
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 03:45 AM UTC
Hello Terry! Nice to know you

Simple work, but amazing! I love the tarpauline, the hanged bag, the lifelike grass, the chipped parts, and also agree with others, the teabag! You create them become so inspiring with very high impression.

Just a simple suggestion, IMO, the standing soldier may have stronger expression if he placed in the front-right corner of the carrier, with his face interact with his comrade in the carrier's cabin. Both of them are laughing each others and... bingo! Your vignette's story line will be perfect in all aspect!

Thank you for sharing, it makes me more motivated to continue all of my pending work, congratulations

Kind regards from Indonesia

Garry
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 1,640 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 03:52 AM UTC
Terry thats just great , and the tea bag

Hope to see more soon.

Paul
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 04:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Terry! Nice to know you

Simple work, but amazing! I love the tarpauline, the hanged bag, the lifelike grass, the chipped parts, and also agree with others, the teabag! You create them become so inspiring with very high impression.

Just a simple suggestion, IMO, the standing soldier may have stronger expression if he placed in the front-right corner of the carrier, with his face interact with his comrade in the carrier's cabin. Both of them are laughing each others and... bingo! Your vignette's story line will be perfect in all aspect!

Thank you for sharing, it makes me more motivated to continue all of my pending work, congratulations

Kind regards from Indonesia

Garry

Thank you Garry! I hope to see some of your work soon.

Terry
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terry thats just great , and the tea bag

Hope to see more soon.

Paul

Thanks Paul!!

A little humor never hurts.

Terry
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Armorama: 423 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 10:36 AM UTC
Great work! All that stowage gives it that live in and used look. The figures are brilliant, the tea bag is a detail that I'm sure 99% of us wouldn't even think of adding. The crew in this kit are my favourite Tamiya figures. I bought one a few years ago just for the sole purpose of using them in a diorama. The carrier then got stuck in the stash and forgotten.
Keep up the work, looking forward to seeing more.
Stephen
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 07:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work! All that stowage gives it that live in and used look. The figures are brilliant, the tea bag is a detail that I'm sure 99% of us wouldn't even think of adding. The crew in this kit are my favourite Tamiya figures. I bought one a few years ago just for the sole purpose of using them in a diorama. The carrier then got stuck in the stash and forgotten.
Keep up the work, looking forward to seeing more.
Stephen

Thanks Stephen! The tea bag just seemed to logical thing to do.

Terry
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 08:02 AM UTC
I really like this, it is a very good example how an old, and somewhat basic (by todays standards) kit can be build out of the box, with one or two little tweaks, ad through subtle but effective painting and dry brushing, can be made to sparkle. As for the figures, less is more, your faces work, because the are kept simple.
To add an observation or two, as constructive comment, I would look at the standing figures webbing. It could be a bit sharper, and there appears to be a spot where the webbing goes under the left epaulette, were the webbing needs to be touched up.

Thanks for sharing.
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 03:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I really like this, it is a very good example how an old, and somewhat basic (by todays standards) kit can be build out of the box, with one or two little tweaks, ad through subtle but effective painting and dry brushing, can be made to sparkle. As for the figures, less is more, your faces work, because the are kept simple.
To add an observation or two, as constructive comment, I would look at the standing figures webbing. It could be a bit sharper, and there appears to be a spot where the webbing goes under the left epaulette, were the webbing needs to be touched up.

Thanks for sharing.

Yes I agree about the straps on the figures. The details are a little soft.

Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP