_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Modeling Book
Neonoodle
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 11:07 PM UTC
Hi all,

Im after some advice. Im trying to get back into the modeling scene after lots of years in and out of it and am wanting some modeling books to learn about finishes, techniques, weathering and indeed building hints and tips. And as Christmas is coming up i thought i might ask my good wife for a present or two. I model mainly modern day armour.

I've looked at the Osprey publishing books and an wondering any of them are good? if if one of there books has it all instead of buying several on what seams to be the same topic.

Many thanks

Neil
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 11:44 PM UTC
Depending on what you are looking for, I'd suggest any of the following:

Applied Modeling Encyclopedia:Armor by Squadron/Signal and Euro Modelismo
This one is a good basic text that covers construction and weathering. Probably one of the best overall books, though somewhat limited in its depth of coverage.

Miquel Jimenez's FAQ 2
An updated version of his book this one is pricey but really covers texture and weathering at great length. Lots of good stuff in here.

Steven Zaloga's Osprey book Modeling US WW2 Armor
Not modern but his building tips and weathering section are really good and universally useful.

Michael Rinaldi has 2 released books in his Tank Art series. The first is on German WW2 tanks, the second on Allied, and there is a third out any day now on Modern armor. Based on the first 2 volumes, I would recommend that you put his modern book as your first choice for a weathering reference. His stuff is that good. For a series of step by step builds with much care and text given to both how to weather and why to use specific techniques he's the best out there. My only slight hesitation is that I don't know if the modern volume is as self contained as the first two or is starting his plan of building off the info of previous volumes. You can e-mail him or just buy one of the previous volumes as well to play it safe. Personally, I feel like his books will be a comprehensive weathering and painting library in the end, so I'd be buying all of them anyways.

Also, Marcus Nicholls has a DVD on painting armor that is extremely good and there is a lot to be said for seeing the techniques applied. Adam Wilder and Mig have focussed but well done DVD's on various weathering subjects as well.
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 01:37 AM UTC
IMHO, FAQ is WAAAYYYYY over priced for the good information you get in it. You can buy 3 or 4 good books from Kalmbach publishing on the subjects and get the same information. Make no mistake, I LOVE the FAQ I have, but I cannot justify such a luxurious price on a book, when I can get three or 4 others for the same amount. NOw, having said that, If I ever find myself ready to blow 80 bucks on a book, Im all in. FAQ for me is much higher level modelling than someone looking to begin. Take the time get the less expensive books and graduate to the big boys when you can easily afford em. Just my 2 cents. (If the price comes down 40 bucks, go for it though).

Also, this place is great for pricing, and I can say they are good to the customer.

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Modeling_Books/browse.php?s=5&t=0

didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 02:35 AM UTC
I still think one of the best books out there for beginners is shep paines how to build tanks and military vehicles, you can probably pick up a good new or used one for $5-10 US.

FAQ is great, but there are more pictures than explanations. If you want it learn to weather look up the in the painting forum the weathering sequence thread. Most questions will be answered if you read through the whole deal and when you do find you have a question that has not been answered already, post it.

I also think that Rinaldis books are a great source of info when you are ready to try new techniques or approaches. Mikes philosophy involves less process and less chemicals, so streamlined with great results.

If you have specific questions there is a wealth of info here on this site and many many people willing to help, and some real experts too. Cheers.
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 286 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC
My 2 cents, M. Rinaldi's TankArt books are excellent choice. Vol 2 made me make a side step from German armor to some French vehicles, and that's no small feat...
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC
If you want to see scratchbuilding, check out the Osprey book by Nic Cortese "Modelling the IS Heavy Tank".

Though it was written almost 10 years ago, it is IMO, the pinnacle publication of scratchbuilding with styrene. Since then, there's been many better books when it comes to formulaic painting & weathering techniques, but really no new authors have addressed the chopping & gluing of white p-card and stretched sprue the way Nic did.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 09:14 AM UTC
While books are nice to have around, I think just about any technique can be found on line for free. Many websites, such as this one, feature a ton of well written, step by step articles on the subjects you'd be interested in.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 11:31 AM UTC
I dunno. I do agree that the basic techniques are available all over the place but I think the better books go into more detail than you're going to find on the web. Certainly Rinaldi's do.

BTW, for scratchbuilding, or at least for conversions, I would recommend the KV-222 article from Modeler Site. Really detailed and involved.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 03:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I dunno. I do agree that the basic techniques are available all over the place but I think the better books go into more detail than you're going to find on the web. Certainly Rinaldi's do.

From the sound of Neil's post, it's the basics that he's looking for. You have to have a good working understanding of them before you can pull off the advanced stuff properly.
Neonoodle
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 04:15 AM UTC
Thank you for the reply's so far people.

Im aware that i can find many basic techniques in variuos places on the internet with a little bit of searching. i was manly after books as i can take these with me if in traveling with work, and i may be moving to a place with a very slow internet connection so a book or two would be quicker.

Neil
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 04:22 AM UTC
I'd go with the Rinaldi books then. They start with the basics and lead up to fairly advanced techniques and thoroughly cover everything in between. Good for beginners but still useful when you're through that stage.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 04:41 AM UTC
Armour Modelling by john Prigent available on Amazon uk great book covers just about everything, also if you can get it Modelling Tanks and military vehicles by Shep Paine my modelling Bible covers everything its old now and abit hard to find in the uk
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 04:44 AM UTC
You may want to look at these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200972697457?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 02:01 PM UTC
The most useful book I've ever used was the one I bought over thirty years ago and memorized every page! It was "How to Build Diorama's" by Shepard Paine...

I can recall things and pictures from this book decades afterwards. Of course it was the olden days when drybrushing, washes and things were the big things.. no hairspray modulations thinginges or whatever - but really inspires the basics and was very motivating for me.
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 02:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The most useful book I've ever used was the one I bought over thirty years ago and memorized every page! It was "How to Build Diorama's" by Shepard Paine...

I can recall things and pictures from this book decades afterwards. Of course it was the olden days when drybrushing, washes and things were the big things.. no hairspray modulations thinginges or whatever - but really inspires the basics and was very motivating for me.

completely agree here.. and you can still get it in print!
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 02:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The most useful book I've ever used was the one I bought over thirty years ago and memorized every page! It was "How to Build Diorama's" by Shepard Paine..

And to this day, the best book for the buck!

I hate the word "modulation"

Cheers,
Joe
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 01:43 AM UTC
Heck, I still have my original 80's versions of both of his books and they are still very useful. I will put myself out there and say that there have been some advances in techniques since then that are useful for today's modelers that would be missed without looking at new references.

One thing I might suggest is that you can also buy AFV Modeler's articles on PDF pretty cheaply and some of those are excellent references for the modeler.

Mat
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I still think one of the best books out there for beginners is shep paines how to build tanks and military vehicles, you can probably pick up a good new or used one for $5-10 US. : Damon, aka "Digeboy"

Quoted Text

Modelling Tanks and military vehicles by Shep Paine my modelling Bible covers everything... : John Keogh, aka "Easy_Co"

Quoted Text

I can recall things and pictures from this book decades afterwards. Of course it was the olden days when drybrushing, washes and things were the big things.. no hairspray modulations thinginges or whatever - but really inspires the basics and was very motivating for me. : Bruce, aka "BruceJ836"

Quoted Text

Re: How to Build Dioramas - completely agree here.. and you can still get it in print! : Brian, aka "fhvn4d"

Quoted Text

Re: How to Build Diormas - And to this day, the best book for the buck! : Joe Passaseo, aka "Grauwolf"

Quoted Text

Heck, I still have my original 80's versions of both of his books and they are still very useful. I will put myself out there and say that there have been some advances in techniques since then that are useful for today's modelers that would be missed without looking at new references. : Matt Flegal, aka "ninjrk"

I also have my original copies of both, and for BASIC SKILLS - construction and finishing - you can't do any better.

You can also down-load a couple of the original Monogram "Tips on Building Dioramas" from Shepperd Paine's website:

Shepperd Paine Home Page

Shepperd Paine::Monogram Models

The body text in all of the tip sheets is the same, only the picture captions changed from diorama to diorama. The body text does give the beginning modeler all that he needs to know to achieve initial success. Shep's books are expansions of the tip sheets, and if you master what he presents in them, then you'll be ready to move on to many of the other recommended references.

Many, many, many of us here on Armorama got our start as "serious" modelers after being inspired by Shep Paine's Monogram tip sheets, and we cut our basic skills teeth on his written advice. Everything else builds on those basics.

Although many of the recommendations above are excellent works, most of the authors assume that the reader already has a certain basic level of skill. Without that basic skill level, you can't really begin to apply advanced finishing skills, like described in Mig's FAQ 1 and 2 books or Rinaldi's works. Without basic skills, you can admire the scratch-building work illustrated in many of the Osprey titles, but you're not ready to apply those techniques to your own work.

(In fact, Mig says as much in the introductions to both his FAQ and FAQ 2 books. He assumes a certain level of skill in the reader and is not writing for the beginner.)

Track down a copy of either or both of Shepperd Paine's books and study them. I pick up every copy that I can find at shows and model contest and give them away to beginners and juniors in the modeling clubs that I belong to.

HTH and Happy Modeling!
 _GOTOTOP