_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New tool WW1 tanks for the Centenary?
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 09:31 AM UTC
We've had new tool FT17's from Takom and Meng but anyone heard any rumours about any more WW1 tanks as the WW1 centenary is coming up?

The old Emhar Male and Female tanks are well past their sell by date.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We've had new tool FT17's from Takom and Meng but anyone heard any rumours about any more WW1 tanks as the WW1 centenary is coming up?

The old Emhar Male and Female tanks are well past their sell by date.

the emhar kits are dogs
hobgrot
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 01:47 PM UTC
doubt it very much before 2018 at the least - those who have asked various manufacturers have come back with a very negative response from the traditional companies

Of course Meng seems able to whack out excellent kits at a moments notice so I hope for something.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC
I posed this very question a couple of months ago. There's a scarcity of GOOD WWl armor; it is significant as being the origin of all modern armored vehicles; and to commemorate the centennial of WWl (coming soon). So far Meng has been the only one to show any interest. Hopefully AFV, Bronco, Dragon, MiniArt, Tamiya, et al, will surprise us in the near future.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 04:37 AM UTC
I'm really hoping that some major manufacturer steps up to the plate. I was never able to track down the Sparta A7V and St. Chamond kits and the plastic kits out there (aside from the FT-17's) are junk. The glaring lack of a Mk.IV or A7V or Schneider or St. Chamond is one I'm hoping gets filled.

Matt
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 05:01 AM UTC
My preference would be for a Meng British vehicle(s)with interior and engine. A high quality plastic kit would be great.

Britain was by far the most active country and most advances as far as mechanical transport was concerned and had a wide variety of Mks by wars end.

150 X Mk I
50 x Mk II
50 x Mk III
1220 x Mk IV
1242 Mk V
Whippet Mk A x 200
Whippet Mk B x 102
Whippet Mk C x 50

With the first APC, armoured cars, armoured recovery vehicles, self propelled artillery there is a lot of scope. It would be nice to see a decent manufacturer tackle some of these in 1/35 scale.

Tamiya could also throw in a surprise.

For DML there are quite a few German Tank projects that never got off the ground for them to market and even a few US ones too.

The French also built a lot of tanks.

400 x Schneider CA 1
400 x Saint Chamond
3,694 x FT
10 x Char 2C

There are some rays of hope around in 1/35 scale. MB have their WW1 British Infantry and Prisoners in the making.

Resicast recently released the 6in Howitzer WW1 version, new ammo loads and a couple of WW1 figures. I'd say there is a good bet some other stuff will come along for the anniversary as the Holt Tractor is almost ready for production.

Judging by the number of hits on last years WW1 campaign and the one just started this year there is a lot of interest around in modelling this era but a lack of kits and figures for people to build. Not many are brave enough to tackle the old Emhar kits and that includes me.

We live in hopeful times folks so who knows.

Al
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 02:45 PM UTC
+1 on everything that Alan said.

Hopefully the Meng FT-17 will be a great seller that encourages some others to follow suit.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 01:45 AM UTC
Personally, I think if we could convince World of Tanks to incorporate a WW1 game we'd be better off. I'm convinced that the steady release of esoteric subjects owes a lot to that game's popularity.
jimz66
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,165 posts
Armorama: 1,105 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 03:26 AM UTC
I too would welcome some WWI armor.

And I wish I could play WOT on my Imac....
darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 04:14 AM UTC
I know Italeri were/or are releasing an FT-17 in 1/35 also. Let's hope we see more WW1 era AFV's or softskins from them.
MajorPete
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 04:28 AM UTC
I'm waiting for a the meng FT17 right now, what would be awesome if the guys from wing nuts did some 1/35 tanks.......well we can see what happens
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 11:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

doubt it very much before 2018 at the least - those who have asked various manufacturers have come back with a very negative response from the traditional companies

Of course Meng seems able to whack out excellent kits at a moments notice so I hope for something.

I haven't seen any responses from the various manufacturers. Do you know exactly what they've said?
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 11:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm waiting for a the meng FT17 right now, what would be awesome if the guys from wing nuts did some 1/35 tanks.......well we can see what happens

Wingnut's specialized in WW1 aircraft so I think it should be a no brainer for them to branch out into WW1 tanks/vehicles

Maybe some of us should contact them to ask for new tooled Male and Females?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 11:43 AM UTC
Master Box have both a Mk I Female and Mk I Male in their In Progress link. Both 1/72 though.

http://www.mbltd.info/proces.htm

Al
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Master Box have both a Mk I Female and Mk I Male in their In Progress link. Both 1/72 though.

Al

So they do. No doubt they'll have bloody rubber tracks though.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Al

When I used to go to the movies there was a line that used to come up from the Rank Organization; "We can't please all the people all the time, but we please most of the people most of the time".

That's probably true for model manufacturers, but why rubbish a kit before it's even been produced? That doesn't exactly inspire them to produce more. You could look at it in a more positive way in so much as there will be 2 more choices coming along for people to choose from.

You may remember the Academy Grant. It go such a slagging Academy haven't produced an Allied kit since as far as I am aware, yet it was 100% better than the old Tamiya kit, yes it had a few issues that they fixed for free and is probably one of the most enjoyable build I've done.

Just a thought.

Al
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Al

When I used to go to the movies there was a line that used to come up from the Rank Organization; "We can't please all the people all the time, but we please most of the people most of the time".

That's probably true for model manufacturers, but why rubbish a kit before it's even been produced? That doesn't exactly inspire them to produce more. You could look at it in a more positive way in so much as there will be 2 more choices coming along for people to choose from.

You may remember the Academy Grant. It go such a slagging Academy haven't produced an Allied kit since as far as I am aware, yet it was 100% better than the old Tamiya kit, yes it had a few issues that they fixed for free and is probably one of the most enjoyable build I've done.

Just a thought.

Al

I'm not rubbishing the kit I'm just saying I don't like rubber tracks. And also the Airfix and Emhar kits have rubber tracks already so wouldn't it be nice if MB could at least do some link and lengths which would be a big leap forward and might sway people to buy their kits instead of the dated Airfix and Emhar kits.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 01:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Al

Just a thought.

Al

I'm not rubbishing the kit I'm just saying I don't like rubber tracks. And also the Airfix and Emhar kits have rubber tracks already so wouldn't it be nice if MB could at least do some link and lengths which would be a big leap forward and might sway people to buy their kits instead of the dated Airfix and Emhar kits.

You can thank all the nit picking riviet counters for critising the kit, the rivit counters ruin the fun for the model builders and are the cause for the expensive kit prices

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 02:53 AM UTC
Do you really think criticism influences manufacturers? If that were the case, Trumpeter would either be making better ship models, or none at all!
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Al

Just a thought.

Al

You can thank all the nit picking riviet counters for critising the kit, the rivit counters ruin the fun for the model builders and are the cause for the expensive kit prices

Nick I'm slightly confused. You said the Emhar kit's a dog but then you say rivet counters ruin the fun for modellers and are responsible for higher prices?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe some of us should contact them to ask for new tooled Male and Females?

I did that a couple years ago when their aircraft models first came out. Got a replying email in under 2 hours!

Unfortunately, they indicated that while the land side of WW I interested them, they were not looking to do any vehicle kits for the forseeable future. I offered to take any measurements or photographs they wanted of the Canadian Whippet, too!

Bloody shame. I can only imagine how sweet a Wing Nugs Whippet or Mk IV would be, even if it was in 1/32 scale.

Paul
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 08:29 AM UTC
Well, if "the nit picking rivet counters" are responsible for the new Meng FT-17 - highly accurate with full interior, articulated link-to-link track and PE parts - then I say:

"Thank you nit-picking-rivet-counters of the world."

And, if someone gives us a new-tooled British Male or Female (or any other WWI AFV subject) that's highly accurate with full interior, link-to-link tracks and PE parts, I'll say, "Thank you again nit-picking rivet counters of the world."

After that, I'll go and buy one. Why? Because kits like that are NOT "ruining my fun."
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 08:31 AM UTC
That's like calling Tamiya's 1970-ish Universal Carrier a dog - which it well deserves - without neccessarily being a rivet counter. Although, to be fair, nothing is really a dog until something better comes along. Still waiting!
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 08:33 AM UTC
Mastebox's venture into 1/72 has some promise...as does ICM's venture into 1/35 figures. Fingers are crossed that they will carry that further forward into 1/35 tank kits but I'm not holding my breath. Seeing Meng do an FT-17 raises some hope but that vehicle had cross-appeal to WW2 and inter-war bulders as well. Harder to say the same thing for tanks such as the Mk.I and Mk.IV.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sorry, but I have to take some exception to both of the ideas expressed in your statement.

Rivet counters (of which I am a card carrying member, just to make an honest declaration) are responsible for telling people how any kit relates to the actual thing. They are not responsible for how anyone reacts to that information,. It is simply information. Certainly some rivet counters add editorial comments to their factual comparisons, but those opinions are as valid as anyone elses. However, when someone states, the XXX kit is 3mm too narrow and 5mm too tall and the decals depict the incorrect vehicle, those comments are mearly facts. Facts have no opinion attached to them at all.

Each aspect of a model either is, or is not closely representative of the actual item being modelled. If someone calls out that a model has many or few errors in accruacy, it is up to the modeller who reads the account how much notice he takes of that information. I always want to know exactly what is or isn't correct on a model so that I can make the choice as to whether or not to correct those flaws. Some I correct and some I do not, but it is my choice and I know what I did and did not do.

What anyone else does is their business.

Knowing the facts about any model I build _increases_ my enjoyment of a model build. If it does not increase yours, then perhaps you avoiding viewing posts where people talk about the accuracy of models may increase your enjoyment of our hobby.

Also, based upon your statement above, it would seem that if modellers did not want the accuracy of the more expensive models of today, those models would not sell and the companies wouldn't make more of them. This seems to be the opposite of what is actually happening, though. In fact, it appears that the revelations of the accuracy or inaccuracies in modern kits actually make model builders strive for even more accuracy, making them prefer accurate kits that are, at the same time, more expensive. Normal people are _not_ going to pay more for a product that they don't want in the first place, ergo, most modellers [u]want[/u] the detail inherant with the more expensive models.

So model companies make more of them and most model builders have more fun with them because they keep going out and buying them.

QED

Paul
 _GOTOTOP