Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon M103A1!!
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

again with the missing mantlet cover.
I am in for a kit but I will be grumbling to myself about having to spend extra money to add stuff that should have come in the kit.

I agree. What is Dragon's problem with leaving out mantlet covers? They obviously have the technology needed to make a nice looking example yet they don't. Do they pride themselves in being able to list on the back of the box that the gun can elevate or something?? I can't think of another excuse. But hey, I guess it keeps the aftermarket busy.

Erik
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheap, with so-so flavor?

No, Kurt, cheap with horrible flavor!

Jim
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I am in for a kit but I will be grumbling to myself about having to spend extra money to add stuff that should have come in the kit.

I agree. What is Dragon's problem with leaving out mantlet covers? They obviously have the technology needed to make a nice looking example yet they don't. Do they pride themselves in being able to list on the back of the box that the gun can elevate or something?? I can't think of another excuse. But hey, I guess it keeps the aftermarket busy.

Erik

Well seeing how fast Legends and The New TMD came out with mantlet covers it may not be too much of a problem. I was a bit PO's with the M48 lack of cover, you never see them without one. I personally think this is one of the best new releases in a while and I will definitely be getting one.
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 05:18 AM UTC
Bout damn time. As many have said, this fills in that missing link in the chain of american tanks. Ive stood next to this thing and its huge. The Army eventually went away with it and the marines kept it for awhile longer. Definitely glad its being represented.
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 06:09 AM UTC
Another kit to add to my stash...jezz running out of room.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 06:11 AM UTC
Very cool.

Just not sure why no mantlet cover. Like the new m48 that came out too. It's just standard equipment like the periscopes, gas cans, tow cables and stuff. I hope this Sans Mantlet cover isn't a new trend in new armor kits.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 06:36 AM UTC
Jeez Guys!

Cannot we just rejoice and be pleased? So there's no mantlet cover; what the hell? Are we modellers or not? A bit of Milliput, some artful moulding/prodding with sanded-down cocktail sticks and we're there.

It's likely to be expensive? Hell, what isn't these days? It isn't resin - so no wrestling with something that will fight you all the way - and it's the A1 version (ie redolent of the Cold War and not the later Marine A2 version - not that there's anything wrong with that of course); what's not to like?

This release - whenever that actually is - fills an important gap if you're a Cold War armour modeller. The real thing mounted an enormously powerful gun (to see off the JS3/T10 series), the largest tank gun in NATO until Chieftain rocked up with a similar calibre about a decade later. This beast also possessed 2 x loaders if I'm correct.

This is not a boring tank - dependent on taste of course. 'Might be nice to have included the extra fuel tank rack on the rear, but that's what plastic card and accessory sets are for - and the after market resin bods of course.

Get hold of a copy of Tankograd's "Nuclear Winter FTX" for further inspiration.

Again, rejoice!
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 06:52 AM UTC
Postscript: A further study of the Tankograd book shows some of these monsters on exercise without mantlet covers.
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeez Guys!

Cannot we just rejoice and be pleased? So there's no mantlet cover; what the hell? Are we modellers or not? A bit of Milliput, some artful moulding/prodding with sanded-down cocktail sticks and we're there.

We are rejoicing, don't get me wrong. But we're also confused as to why a crucial detail is missing from a newly tooled kit. I can understand a kit from the 80's or 90's missing a mantlet cover but there's no excuse these days. If it was a cheap 90's kit from the bargain bin at our local hobby store none of us would have a problem scratching a cover, but we pay too much for a brand new kit to have it missing an easily manufactured and obvious detail.

EDIT: Interesting postscript Brian, well I guess its not SO bad that Dragon left off the cover, but my point still stands.

Erik
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Erik

ERIK has got it right! The reason that we don't see any mantlet covers on our armor is that the manufacturers feel that an "elevating" main gun is a desirable feature- meaning that (some) modelers like to play with their gun...

Even though we're starting to see a bewildering array of new subject matter, the manufacturers still seem to be a half-step behind the modellers. This new kit is ALMOST on the mark, but then you have the niggling little things such as the lack of a mantlet cover to get people complaining. I would have preferred having a mantlet cover to being able to "pose" the main gun. If you think about it, many of us wind up buying "extras" such as photo-etch, resin up-dates and what-have-you anyway, so what's the big deal? Be glad that we're getting this new kit in the first place!

I'm sure we'll hear complaints about DRAGON issuing this new US Heavy with "DS" tracks as opposed to single-links, so it's "here we go again with that argument"... Let's wait and see what this thing is going to be before we start trashing it...
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Saw this on PMMS and didn't see any news here.

Looks like no mantlet cover again.

That is a must have
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Saw this on PMMS and didn't see any news here.

Looks like no mantlet cover again.

THIS IS GREAT!!! Talk about another one out of left-field! Where's that M3 Lee that DRAGON showed in their announcements some years ago?
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 07:42 AM UTC
Something totally different and U.S.

Gotta have one
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 07:47 AM UTC

Also, is that a M59 in the background? That would be out of left field as well.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hi;

UNCLE SAMS MISGUIDED CHILDREN !!!!

STAND UP AND SMILE WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT;--------------------- THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS

SEMPER FI TIL I DIE; THERE ARE NO X MARINES !!!!

CHEERS; MIKE.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 08:35 AM UTC
Mantlet covers, with their folds and nonlinear shapes are a complete b!tch to mould in styrene. To get a good one for the 103 would probably take 3-4 parts or more and then we'd all be b!tching about the seams and how hard they are to clean up on the funky shapes.

Nope, give me the underlying metal shape and I can make all the mantlets I want. It's not hard and just takes a little epoxy putty and some time. And maybe a little modelling skill.

Mantlet covers are not at all a big deal. Not at all. Just give me the 103 and I'll do the rest.

Paul
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And in the Dominican Republic in 1965.

Cheers,
/E

Like Hisham, I knew nothing about this tank, but this is intriguing. Wonder if they saw any action against Caamano's Constitucionalistas, I think they had AMX-13s - if so, it must have been a very short engagement! However, it could make an unusual subject for a diorama.
blabla
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 09:27 AM UTC
Hello,

for dios it is a perfect vehicle. not alone because his design but also the COld War offers very interesting motive with all his exercises like Winter FTX. http://www.tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/NUCLEAR-WINTER-FTX-Atomschlag-in-der-Oberpfalz.htm&buy=34369

Cheers
Havoc
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 09:30 AM UTC
Woof! I'm in!!! I remember owning the Rocco/Minitanks version when I was a kid...

And Frenchy, you read my mind (easy read, I know...) regarding that M51 tank retriever variant! I've seen one of those up close, and man, what a beast!! Hope you doing well, amigo!

Yep, the lack of a mantlet cover is truly annoying, but better to have the kit out than not at all...

Be interesting to figure out a diorama for the M103 and one of those Russian post-apocalyptic pancake tanks (Objekt 279).

Good news indeed!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 09:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers,
/E

Like Hisham, I knew nothing about this tank, but this is intriguing.

I guess Erik is talking about the M51. There's a period picture in Hunnicutt's "Firepower" book.

Johnny, the M51 is more impressive than the M103 if you ask me ...

H.P.
rmadfire1
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 10:00 AM UTC
Not complaining but I wish dragon would reissue the SEP and AIM again. also wish they would produce the marine corps version of the M1A1, or how about the ABV in plastic or the M777 cannon? Not spending my money on tanks that never saw any type of action or concept vehicles.
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 10:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers,
/E

Like Hisham, I knew nothing about this tank, but this is intriguing.

I guess Erik is talking about the M51. There's a period picture in Hunnicutt's "Firepower" book.

Johnny, the M51 is more impressive than the M103 if you ask me ...

H.P.

So, the M103 never served in combat - that's too bad, but I appreciate your having cleared it up for me. It will have to be a peacetime diorama then, unless modelers want to try a whiffer. Maybe the M103 and the Object 279 tanks can meet on some imaginary Cold War battlefield.
And, as for the Ontos, sure enough, it did take on the Dominicans in 1965, according to this:
http://suite101.com/a/dominican-republic-tanks-in-battle-a39698
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 10:06 AM UTC
I thought I read on here that they were going to re-re-release the Abrams kits again, along with the Shot Kal 1973
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 10:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought I read on here that they were going to re-re-release the Abrams kits again, along with the Shot Kal 1973

Given that Dragon has an M1IP hull in the Panther how are the chances we get an M1 or M1IP with the 105mm gun? M1A1 and later I can get from other companies as well
Shermania
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 10:19 AM UTC
This is long overdue, glad to see all the enthusiasm over this beast. I grew up during the Cold War and my favorite tanks as a kid were the M48/M60 series of tanks, this monster shares similar lines with those tanks. I'm looking forward to a nice M60 as well.