_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
HobbyBoss 1/35 ZTD-05 AAAV (complete)
hummingbird
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 05:16 PM UTC
Well, here comes yet another finished kit from me. This time, I will be adding a kit most modeller won't touch usually. It's a rather peculiar looking vehicle as well. This is a ZTD-05 AAAV from hobbyboss, released in mid( I think ) 2012.

I painted this all in Gunze Sanyo, Mr. Colour Aqueous colours ; H313, H312 , H303 and H309. This is my first time I used Mr. Colour and I have to admit, I kinda like it. A little bit tricky to think but covers very good nevertheless. I went for the digital camo scheme as I don't really do that and now is the perfect chance to do one as I have the option to do so.

For weathering, I kept it rather clean apart from the various dried and wet sand. I did put on a fair amount of chippings on the front and rear plates and along the side skirts. I thought those areas would be chipped more then the rest of the vehicle with the vehicles coming out of the assault ships and going through the shore lines where reefs or rocks on the shallow sea bed or beach might chip away the paint. I'm kinda not happy with the sand effect. It was my first time doing this and it was very hard for me to make clumps of wet sand. The pigments are from MIG and they change colour quite drastically when fixed with thinner. Oh well.. I will just take it as a valuable lesson for my next amphibious projects. The wet effects were done with Tamiya Clear Gloss and Vallejo Clear Varnish. I was broke and couldn't afford dedicated wet effect fluids so I just had to resort to the gloss paints. They actually work pretty well.

Here's some photos -

To be honest, I am not particularly fond of my own paint job on this. This is a bit of self-criticism from me: I was very impatient and some of the pattern are crooked. I had a hard time cutting the bloody masks out ...... GRRRRRR, the horror...

Well, that's about as much I can sum up about the build. More informations and more photos can be found on my blog -
http://modeller-innovation.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/hobbyboss-135-ztd-05-aaav.html

Please do have a look and thank you so much in advance for any feedback you guys may have.
3rdArmoredVet
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 07:26 PM UTC
I think it's outstanding. I know your pain with the patterns. I paint tons of digital types of camo on real firearms everyday and can't imagine doing it on a smaller scale like you did. Kudos!
hummingbird
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 06:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it's outstanding. I know your pain with the patterns. I paint tons of digital types of camo on real firearms everyday and can't imagine doing it on a smaller scale like you did. Kudos!

wow... Painting on real fire-arms would be awesome... at least the scale is big and you don't have to cut out tiny tiny masks...

Thank you for your feedback
 _GOTOTOP