bazers
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 06:41 PM UTC
Hi
I have been looking on line for

Water filtration balls that korpse uses for rivets but they all seem to large can anyone help

Thanks bazer
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 07:35 PM UTC
Hi Barry,

A PM to Neil would help. If you cant find him here check Missing Lynx forums I think he posts there too.

Do you have any link of Neil's builds that shows the material that you are looking for?

P.A.
bazers
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 08:07 PM UTC
Thanks
Have posts to all niels builds but he just says water balls
Will try and find him on other post.
Bazer.
bazers
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 11:31 PM UTC
Hi PA
found it on niels blog its a brita filter.

Thanks
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi PA
found it on niels blog its a brita filter.

Thanks

It is a cart for a water jug designed to errrr... take the 'distinctive character', chlorine, chemicals, etc., from tap water. Google it if you are not sure.

The carts are full of 1000's of varying size beads, & the method is to dry out the beads in a low heat oven, & sort them into different sized groups, then use as needed.

Just remember to take them OUT of the plastic cart before it goes in the oven!

you can of course use Archer Fine Transfers' resin rivets if that is too much of a faff!
bazers
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 04:29 AM UTC
Thanks for that Jon
Will try transfers too
Good tip about the oven !!!

Bazer
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 03:58 AM UTC
Barry,

You might want to check the following link about how to easily make rivets.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/170776&page=1

(Scroll down a bit)

P.A.
bazers
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 02:04 AM UTC
Thanks pa
Cant find grainers on net though ?.

Bazer
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 02:47 AM UTC
You can pick up a gainers tool, or beading tool here:
http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id=1322
bazers
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 05:53 PM UTC
Thanks for link.
Have just ordered one

Bazzer
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hello

I don't check this forum regularly. Dropped in today and saw this post.

there are at least a few brands of water filters that contain tiny balls.

I chose Brita, but any will do. I picked up differing brands and shook them next to my ear to hear - you can tell which ones have tiny balls from the sound. Most packets have a description of the filtration system too, and most did have tiny balls.

I bought mine from a large hardware store - but anywhere that sells (potable or drinking) water filtration units should stock the filters. The filters are plastic canisters quite a bit larger than the old 35mm film plastic film containers. They have an inlet and outlet, and the filtration is simply many thosuands of tiny balls. Not sure what they are made of but they can be crushed to powder with a bit of pressure. These evidently absorb any chemicals or impurities as the water passes through them.

To use simply cut the container open and pour them into another container.

They are dry. (The only reason they would be wet was if they had already been in use, a brand new one will be dry).

They balls come in varying sizes in the filter and sorting them is the hard part. Tiny pieces of charcoal are also in the filter, which can be separated and use as scale lump of coal.

I pour mine into a large flat plate and 'pan' a few hundred of them at a time (dry) to separate them into one layer. Use a toothpick, moistened by your mouth, to select and pick up each water ball to move it to another container. I try to pick as many as I need about the same size.

I then drill the surface with a micro drill bit to form a small holes, then use the moistened toothpick to pick up and place each ball. After I have a row done, I use a brush and very lightly coat the row with flat acrylic paint which seals the balls in place.

Its undeniably slow and fiddly work. You need to rule straight lines with a pencil to act as a guide where to drill, so that you dont get 'wobbly' rivet lines.

Archer rivet decals in HO/OO scale are faster and easier if you have a lot of rivet or bolt head work to do. They are not as 'prominent' and can be somehwhat obscured by even lightly sprayed paint jobs. Thats the only drawback with the decal rivets.

There are other methods, good luck with whatever you choose

cheers
Neil
bazers
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 06:13 AM UTC
Thanks Neil
sent off for some decals also the punch tool and with the beads i will have plenty of options.
love your armoured trains have got links to all your builds i have just started building A F V s after a lay off about 30 yèars looking at the models on this site i have got saome catching up to do.have started the ammegedon armoured train using your build as a guide WHAT A CRAP KIT.
Can you give me a link to your log ,i hag it but then my tablet was updated and i lost
it .
regards bazer
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 11:37 AM UTC
Hi Barry

I agree its good planning to have more than one rivet option. Luckily the train is mostly unrivetted, except for the locomotive and tenders. You may find the water ball method best on the locomotive as the rivets are quite prominent.

Yes that Armageddon train is an awful kit, and not cheap. But I assessed that it was still workable into a decent model, and a lot easier and quicker than building the train from scratch - which would take years. The kit takes a lot of time and patience, and willpower to improve its worst faults. I felt it was worth the effort.

I have a lengthy WIP on that train which is on this forum (if you search). I have a bit more on my blog on building the second part of the train (which is being prepared for another diorama) as well as some other rail stuff, and there are some other pictures on Milan Vin's Small Scale website.

http://braillebuilder.blogspot.com.au/

http://www.smallscaleafv.com/inspiration/neil-lyall/

Good luck with the build. I'm happy to try to answer any questions that may arise during your build.

cheers
Neil

bazers
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 07:32 PM UTC
Hi niel
Thanks for links and offer of help i think i will be ok on the build part (have been building kits and scratchbuilding models for 40 odd years ) may need help on referance etc. Your dioramas look great , thats somthing i have never done.

regards bazer
 _GOTOTOP