_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Selling on E Bay
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 08:35 AM UTC
I am going to unload a bunch of armor models I have no hope of completing in this lifetime. I am curious about selling on E Bay, specifically how much to charge for shipping. Has anyone got some experience with that cost factor and provide some guidance to me?
Thanks
DJ
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 08:52 AM UTC
I would only charge actual shipping expenses. I stay away from ebay sellers who gouge on shipping.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 09:22 AM UTC
I tend to include the package weight with each item so there's no shipping and handling charge. I use First Class(< 13 oz)/Parcel Post and not Priority Mail. You could use Media Mail but I tend to use that for magazines and books (educational material).

When combining shipping for multiple orders (same buyer buys more than 1 kit), you have to be careful when the weight pushes it from First Class into Parcel Post. There is quite and increase there and I have had several buyers who have been unhappy when I tell them it actually costs the same or more then if shipping separately.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 09:34 AM UTC
Larger, heavier kits will cost a bit more to ship than smaller ones. Almost every kit will weigh out more than 13 ounces, so best shipping option is priority mail (but stay away from the flat rate boxes). All items are sold as "buy it now", not "auction". I generally sell mine with free shipping by adding $8 to $10 on to the price I'd like to get out of the kit. This will cover postage and a small handling fee for making custom sized boxes. I refuse to ship a kit out in a soft envelope. Whether it's padded or not, you stand the chance of damage to the box and possibly the parts, themselves.

As for pricing, I check out the sold section to get an idea of what the particular kit is selling for. With Ebay now, the first 50 listings of the month have no listing fee. If an item doesn't sell after a month or two, I may drop the price a little.

Graeme - I agree, there are some sellers who do gouge on their pricing, but the final decision, to me, is what the total is combined. After all, there's no difference in buying something for $5 w/ $20 S&H and paying $25 w/ free S&H.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 09:41 AM UTC
My Friends-- I thank you for your insightful comments.
Many thanks
DJ
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 10:00 AM UTC
DJ: download a free listing app called TurboLister from ebay themselves. It allows you to organize your auctions and allows the bidder to calculate his/her own shipping. You just input the size and weight of the box. Multiple winning items can be bundled to save the buyer fees, too. You can limit bidders (like no one from Eastern Europe, for instance).

It'll save you lots of time/energy.

++I always made a point to have the auctions end Sunday evening ~ 8-9PM EST. Hoping for more bored modelers perusing the listings and sniping each others' bids!

++With turbolister, you can stagger them a minute or two apart -- you don't want them all ending within seconds of each other.

++ If you have particularly rare items, make sure you include that in your narrative of the bulk of your other items. e.g. "Please look at my other listings which include OOP and rare resin kits"
jhoenig
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 10:34 AM UTC
Also remember there are PayPal fee's as well as Ebay fee's
But all factored in you can sell anything and usually quick
- John
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 11:04 AM UTC
Unless you know the exact price on shipping, I would start out the auction with a bid with which what you can part with the item PLUS the shipping charge and list it as FREE SHIPPING.

This is usually more attractive to buyers.

OR, what you want for the item PLUS a good guess on shipping listed again as FREE SHIPPING and list it for BUY IT NOW.

Auctions most likely will sell within the time frame but BUY IT NOW pricing can face a re-listing if it's too high.

Just my opinion. Of course International shipping would be higher or restrict the buyer to your location/country.

Jeff
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 12:55 PM UTC
When I sell stuff on eBay I have the package already wrapped and measured for weight. I list it as "buyer pays actual shipping charges" and when the auction is over I have the winning bidders address. I then go on Canada Post website and get a shipping quote. It's usually pretty accurate and I send the invoice to the winning bidder with the shipping charges.

cheers
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 04:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Graeme - I agree, there are some sellers who do gouge on their pricing, but the final decision, to me, is what the total is combined. After all, there's no difference in buying something for $5 w/ $20 S&H and paying $25 w/ free S&H.

Quite right Bob, as a buyer, $25 is $25. Though there may be a difference to the seller and ebay. Last time I looked, ebay considers this a fee circumvention as they do not get a % cut of the shipping, and therefore a seller who takes a hit on the model price, but 'overcharges' shipping, is putting more $ in his pocket.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 05:42 PM UTC
[quote]I am going to unload a bunch of armor models I have no hope of completing in this lifetime. I am curious about selling on E Bay, specifically how much to charge for shipping. Has anyone got some experience with that cost factor and provide some guidance to me?
Thanks
DJ br />
HI! I'm in the SAME BOAT YOU'RE IN!!! I'm 61, and not in the best of health, so I'm getting ready to compile and list a whole boat-load of stuff on eBay. Don't worry- you'll get your stuff sold. There are tens, if not hundreds of thousands of modellers that buy and sell on eBay.

First of all, MAKE SURE THAT THE ITEM(s) ARE COMPLETE. If there are parts, instructions, decals, etc missing, include that info in your eBay listing. If your item is still sealed in the box, SAY SO. If the item has been opened for inspection, SAY SO. Nothing will turn a customer off as much as dishonesty. If your customer has any questions, don't "wing it". Laziness will cost you money.

BY ALL MEANS, ANSWER YOUR PROSPECTIVE BUYERS' QUESTIONS. Don't let him/her go- if they're emailing you with questions, do them the courtesy to answer their questions ASAP. If you don't have an answer right away, email your customer that you'll try to have an answer for them ASAP.

If you're not sure of your shipping rates, pay a visit to your local Post Office or shipper of choice. Don't fall into the trap of listing too good to be true, ridiculously cheap shipping rates. State the shipping rates for whomever you decide to use as your shipper in your listing. Make sure your rates are accurate and competitive- you don't want your customer to think that you're trying to "gyp" them. If your customer lives only one or two States away from you, USPS Flat Rate Shipping will probably be your best bet... USPS Flat Rate Shipping/Priority Mail works pretty good for me, and that's what I generally use. The great thing about USPS Priority Mail is that you automatically get Tracking.

When I ship an item over a certain dollar amount, $50.00 and up, I like to add insurance for the the dollar value of the item; it only costs a couple of dollars more, and you'll earn your customer's satisfaction and loyalty if you throw him/her a "freebie" like "Free Insurance". With customers that are buying over a certain dollar amount, I usually throw in another "freebie" like a resin "update" or some free PE. It doesn't have to be something expensive, or even related to the item that you've just sold.

COMBINE shipping on multiple purchases- say a customer buys one item from you, then buys another item a few hours or even a day later. You can save him/her, AND yourself a few more bucks by putting both purchases in one box. Everybody's happy...

Observe caution when and where you ship to. Be aware that shipping costs WILL rise exponentially the farther you ship from your area. For instance: Let's say you live in New York State and you want to ship to buyers that live close to or on the Eastern Seaboard. Shipping rates will be reasonable, depending on the size and weight of your package.

However, if you do live somewhere on the Eastern Seaboard, you should be aware that shipping rates will rise dramatically anywhere West of Chicago, sometimes twice as much or more as the price for shipping close to your area. The same is true if, for example, you're shipping from California to Virginia- it will be expensive. If you're shipping from California to Oregon, or Washington, the shipping rates will be a lot more reasonable. This is the way the US Postal service works. It's been my personal experience that UPS, FEDEX and DHL are more expensive than the US Postal Service... (No, I don't work for the USPS)

If you live in the US, you should be aware that shipping to Canada will cost you quite a bit more than shipping to domestic addresses. I've found that the US Postal Service is cheapest even when shipping overseas- CAUTION!!! Shipping from the US to anywhere overseas is RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE no matter where you're shipping to. Big foreign hobby shops can afford to lose money on shipping because they sell in a very high volume and they get their merchandise much cheaper than US hobby shops; that's how they make their money back...

Last winter, I shipped out 2 orders of about $600.00 worth of model kits each to 2 customers in Australia. (No, I am NOT a hobby shop) After getting rates from FEDEX, UPS and DHL, I found that the US Postal Service was cheapest- STILL, the shipping cost ran over $500.00 for each order. I thought I was going to have a heart-attack!!! You also have to conform to PACKAGE-SIZE RESTRICTIONS. These orders had to be shipped in FIVE separate boxes per order, the boxes being approximately 10" x 14" x 16" in size, each. Check and re-check your outgoing shipments- mistakes will cost you money. Make sure that you have all of your buyer(s) info- Name, Address, Zip Codes, etc.

(I DID NOT SHIP THESE ORDERS OUT WITHOUT FIRST CONFIRMING THESE TERRIBLE SHIPPING RATES WITH MY 2 CUSTOMERS!!! To my everlasting surprise, both customers were happy with my numbers, and are my "mates" today! They bought from me because I was "up front" with them completely through the entire transactions.)

NOTE: The US Postal Service, as well as the other shippers, use a measurement which they call "Girth". That means that you have to take the 10" x 12" measurement (of my 10" x 12" x 16" box) and multiply by 2, giving you 44". Your package will then be calculated as "16" x 44" PLUS the GROSS WEIGHT of the package. The Rates for Domestic or Overseas packages are then figured out according to charts showing destinations, i.e Zip Codes and/or foreign area codes, and/or countries.

That's why I prefer to keep my sales limited to the US, but I will ship overseas provided my buyer is completely aware of these horrendous shipping rates.

You will also want to make sure that you ship your items in well-packaged, sturdy boxes, with plenty of stuffing (I use newspapers- I HATE styrofoam peanuts!!!) to protect your buyers' investment(s). Don't buy cheap packaging tape- You'll regret it. Make sure that your name, address, rank and serial number are on the box and make sure that the destination of your package is neatly and LEGIBLY printed. You want to make sure that everything is properly sealed. If your kit has already been opened, you'll want to use some tape on the sides and ends of the box to prevent any parts from getting lost.

Nothing is worse for your eBay FEEDBACK Profile than a buyer who is dissatisfied with your way of doing business. By making sure that what I list is EXACTLY what my customer is buying, and being "up front" with my customers, I've managed to keep my FEEDBACK as a BUYER AND SELLER at 100% POSITIVE, since I first started buying and selling in 2007.

You expect honesty from the sellers that you buy from, so doesn't it make sense for you as the seller, to be honest with your buyers? Keep in mind that you're not just selling that Sd.Kfz.57900 Ausf.Z (Trop) SCHMALTZWAGEN, but that you're also selling yourself... You WANT their business!

Business: a transaction that is mutually beneficial to BOTH parties...

If you don't sell your item(s) right away, don't lose patience. I've had a few items on eBay for as long as a year before somebody bought them, but generally I can turn an item within a week's time. Don't get greedy- check out similar items listed on eBay to get a "feel" of how well they're selling AND how much they're selling for. I generally sell at a comparable price or a little lower than my competition.

Your "turn-around time" is important, too. I can turn an item, or a multiple-purchase within 3 days. YOU can determine for yourself how long it will take your item out to your customer- if you have a regular job, and time is an issue, SAY SO in your listing. Most buyers, especially in our hobby, are pretty patient, otherwise they wouldn't be doing mail-order business.

I like to keep my customers informed. Let them know that you've received their payment, and THANK them for it. Let them know WHEN you shipped, approximately when they should see their purchase(s) and also include their Tracking Number. This will show them that their business is appreciated. Always remember to give your customer POSITIVE FEEDBACK, provided that the transaction was completed successfully. Hope this helps...
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 06:57 PM UTC
I've never sold on eBay or come to think of it, I've never bought anything there either. In part because I got scared away from there by negative word of mouth.

I have dumped a good 15-20 kits on amazon. As long as you factor in the shipping into your sale price your good to go. Selling on amazon allows you to sell only in the states and is virtually hassle free so long as you package well and ship right away customers give you good grades and receiving payment is guaranteed as amazon screens their buyers really well. Just something to think about.

BTW, I've had good luck selling at the swap meet. I believe in other places this is called a flea market or something like that. Shipping can get ridiculous.

I sold all my German stuff so I could go out and buy more Shermans.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 08:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quite right Bob, as a buyer, $25 is $25. Though there may be a difference to the seller and ebay. Last time I looked, ebay considers this a fee circumvention as they do not get a % cut of the shipping, and therefore a seller who takes a hit on the model price, but 'overcharges' shipping, is putting more $ in his pocket.

Those days are gone now, Graeme. Ebay's final value fee now includes the shipping price. Using the $25 example I originally used, Ebay would get the same money either way the item is listed.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 09:17 PM UTC
After reading Dennis's reply I want to add a couple things.

Beware on any international shipment that you are responsible for delivery. Most of the time the only way to get a tracking number is to mail by priority or registered mail. Both add a lot to the shipping price. Without the tracking all a buyer has to do is file a claim with Ebay/Paypal for non delivery and you'll not only find yourself refunding the money you've been paid (including shipping), you're also going to lose the item(s). Voice of experience here - there ARE dishonest buyers out there.

Another thing is, while the flat rate box may be easier to deal with, they also cost more, unless you're sending out something with some weight to it. On average, I send a regular kit in a sized box, by priority for about $7.00. The medium flat rate box costs almost $12.00 to mail - and many kits won't fit into one.

And finally, I'm in NC. I figure all shipments to Washington state for the listing. If someone who lives closer buys one, and there is a substantial price difference, I just send them a partial refund.
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 11:32 PM UTC
Not sure I saw it suggested yet, but how bout posting a list here and try here first?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 11:40 PM UTC
Another thing about eBay s/h - they instituted some scheme for international sales wherein you do not ship directly to the seller. eBay charges them an unknown-to-you rate and has you ship it to a front address in Louisville, KY (UPS???). My $8 s/h to a man in England ended up costing him $25. Only the $8 went to me but I was surprised as him about the extra $17. Be sure to warn international buyers about that.
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 04:01 AM UTC
I found it best/easiest to buy a scale ($20 on amazon) and measure each kit with each box. The postal rates for anything greater than 13oz changes only by 1 pound increments anyway. You can get free priority mail boxes at the post office or order them (for free) online at their website. They have a postal calculator on their website too that you can try out to get a feel for approx ranges (try a test zip on the west and east coast.)

I've sold a lot on ebay and through forums so it's familar to me, but I think many people don't realize how much shipping actually costs. A "normal" 1/35 kit once boxed up is in the 1-2 lb range, which could typically be $10+ alone to ship. The $5 shipping days are generally gone unless you're shipping small/light aftermarket via 1st class.

Quoted Text

You could use Media Mail but I tend to use that for magazines and books (educational material).

Don't send kits by media mail. USPS is pretty specific on what it defines as media (mainly books, journals, and videos). I think even magazines aren't allowed.

AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't send kits by media mail. USPS is pretty specific on what it defines as media (mainly books, journals, and videos). I think even magazines aren't allowed.

To get technical, any book with paid advertising in it is not media mail, but the PO seems to overlook magazine back issues.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 11:39 AM UTC
Roy, Dennis, et al.....this is great feedback and I trust anyone interested in pursuing EBAY reads through the posts, each one is a treasure in itself. I downloaded the apps per Roy's instructions and carefully took note of numerous responses regarding postage. I would encourage others to read Dennis' statement as it full supports and expands upon a host of worthwhile responses.
I thank you all for taking the time to respond and trust I can return and let you know the results of my first foray into EBAY selling.
Thanks again
DJ
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 12:25 PM UTC
ebay has an auto shipping calculator.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 12:27 AM UTC
Dave-- thanks, see Roy and Dennis' responses for a comprehensive run down on the subject, most enlightening and thank them and you for contributing to the discussion
DJ
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave-- thanks, see Roy and Dennis' responses for a comprehensive run down on the subject, most enlightening and thank them and you for contributing to the discussion
DJ

PS- Before I ship overseas, which I try to avoid simply because the shipping rates are so expensive, I stop in to my local Post Office, and get the most current rates for each package that I'm mailing. This is possible for me because I live in a VERY rural area. You may not be able to get this kind of cooperation if you live in busy urban areas. I get my postage amounts, then I email my customer with the shipping info I've just obtained. This way, THERE ARE NO NASTY SURPRISES FOR ME OR MY CUSTOMER. I do the same for distant domestic shipments.

I found out the hard way with a domestic shipment when I sent a package to a customer in California. I had assumed that shipping to California would cost me $14.95 for an HO train and locomotive set. I was already selling at a loss, but when I went to my Post Office to ship my package, it turned out that my shipping would cost me an additional $20.00. I got that cold, gnawing feeling in my stomach- I had just ripped myself off...

The deal with my customer had already been done, so it would have been bad business to ask for the additional shipping charges- that would have killed the deal, or at the very least, created a bad taste in my customer's mouth- I did not want to be perceived as a cheat and a liar...

Also, I DO NOT ship via any eBay or PayPal gimmick shipping services. In fact, since I don't own a printer, I don't use the "Print Invoice and Shipping Label" options. I physically do all of my own labeling, just leaving it to PayPal to do my invoicing for me, and I physically ship my my transactions from my local Post Office, keeping my copies of my shipping documents, receipts and tracking numbers. I then email my customers, informing them of the actual time and date of the shipment, actual cost, and their tracking number.

If I had overcharged my customer on the shipping cost, I immediately make them aware of this and I refund the difference due them back into their PayPal accounts. I use PayPal exclusively. Yes, PayPal charges me for their financial and billing services, and I NEVER ship before receiving payment confirmation. For me, it's worth using PayPal- I've never been ripped off. It IS really true that PayPal is the safest and most secure way to send and/or receive money. PayPal will not accept or return funds without prior authorization. I like PayPal because you never have to worry about bounced checks or insufficient funds in credit card accounts.

I always state in my eBay listings to "See my other eBay listings" and I always state that I have many more models in my stock that I'm willing to sell, and to feel free to email me any questions via the "Questions to Sellers" at the bottom of the listing.

I like to leave a "Thank You" note in my shipments, along with my email address, stating that I have lots more to sell, and to contact me with any questions... Also, you can obtain each others' email addresses via your PayPal invoicing...

Emailing back and forth builds trust between you and your customers, and is also a great way to sell other items...
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 11:43 AM UTC
If you do a lot of shipping, investing in an inexpensive postal scale and using the USPS rate calculator will save you a lot of time and money.

If you use the Ebay or Paypal shipping label system, you'll get discounted rates, and never have to stand in line at the PO for domestic shipments (just walk in and hand it over the counter). In fact, you don't even need to go to the PO, as once it's labeled you can just give it to your mail carrier (if you're home when they come by).
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 02:20 AM UTC
I am truly in your debt for the wealth of information in responses to my request. I have downloaded several and will put together a summation for your review and comments. By all means, if there are any other contributions do not hesitate to post
Thanks
DJ
jakes357
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 02:41 AM UTC
Good advice and if you use the shipping system you get FREE delivery confirmation.
I used to do it all myself too, until I got smart and let the USPS do what we pay them for. Now I save gas costs and my time by shipping off the front porch (I too live rural). If you decide to do this, you will find what is easy, comfortable and economical for you. I made my living for 2 1/2 yrs selling on feebay and refined a system for me that worked quite well. Good luck DL

Jake

Quoted Text

If you do a lot of shipping, investing in an inexpensive postal scale and using the USPS rate calculator will save you a lot of time and money.

If you use the Ebay or Paypal shipping label system, you'll get discounted rates, and never have to stand in line at the PO for domestic shipments (just walk in and hand it over the counter). In fact, you don't even need to go to the PO, as once it's labeled you can just give it to your mail carrier (if you're home when they come by).

_GOTOTOP