Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/16 Renault FT
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 01:26 AM UTC
Thank Johan!! I will keep a look out for you version. With any luck some priming on this one soon!!
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 03:40 AM UTC
Good to hear that you're on the mend. Sit back and enjoy the recovery time. After all, it's not too often you get a legitimate excuse to not do anything!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 09:26 AM UTC
Thanks Bob!! Appreciate the well wishes! Trying to take things easy at the moment. The hard work will come soon enough. Wife is doing a fine job taking care of me at the moment!!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wife is doing a fine job taking care of me at the moment!!

Hey! This is a family show!

No gloating!

Jeff
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 09:52 AM UTC
LOL...Yeah, wasn't even thinking of it that way!! I will have to ask!
Mendes
Visit this Community
Parana, Brazil
KitMaker: 182 posts
Armorama: 181 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 09:52 AM UTC
Great work!

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 10:32 AM UTC
Thank you very much Cesar!
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 09:37 AM UTC
Todd! A marvel as usual!
Great overall build and finish...Freaky good mate!

Keep it coming our way!

Phil.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 02:51 PM UTC
Hello Philippe! Thank you very much! Good timing! I primed the beast last night and started to play!

Well I was able to sneak some time in the cave for the first time since my surgery...WOO HOO!!

First I laid down some primer.

Of course a little shading was in order....

Time to lay some color. Now after letting many different schemes roll through the brain I decided to take a little Fun-plunge! I am starting with a Waffen SS Green rendition.

After adding a thin coating of the Field Green I added some highlighting...

That it for the night! I will let this set up for a bit and then back to the booth for tough ups and such and there will be a couple transfers in there at some point I am sure!

Thanks for stopping by...hopefully more soon!
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 12:18 AM UTC
Well you got me hooked! Now I want to know where you are going with this scheme
Very nice start.

Phil.
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 12:25 AM UTC
I just can't figure out how you can hold the model with one hand, the airbrush with the other and then take a photo...
Mind blown!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 01:57 AM UTC
Thank you Phil! I'll be sure to let you know...once I find out myself! Just going to paint and have some fun now!!

Thanks Johan! I would like to say there was some magic involved here...tripod my friend!
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 04:04 PM UTC
Well now, that's looking a bit different. Glad to see you choose an alternate paint scheme not normally seen.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 04:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Johan! I would like to say there was some magic involved here...tripod my friend!

Great build, Todd! Your photography is exquisite! I was wondering: What camera / lens / tripod / lighting equipment are you using?

--mike
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Great build, Todd! Your photography is exquisite! I was wondering: What camera / lens / tripod / lighting equipment are you using?

--mike

Ecxellent question! I want to know also
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 09:23 AM UTC
Sorry for being off in my own little world for a few days fellas, all part of the circle of life as it pertains to modelling I suppose!

Thanks Bob! I did go round and round on what to do for a while but I figured it might be a little fun to have at the "under new management" theme! Let's see if you like it though when I get done with it!!

Mike and Philippe - Again, sorry for not getting back to you on the question about the pics...Truthfully nothing special on my end fellas.

Camera(s) - I use one of two and the results about the same...#1 - Cannon Power Shot A4000 IS and #2 - Sony Cybershot...both are point and shoot and both about or under $100.

Tripod - Yes! 99.79% of the time!

"Picture Booth" - I built my own using foam board from Walmart and hot glue. It resides on a plastic printer table they were throwing out at work.

The two clamp light are from Home Depot, about $6 each and the two in the back...sure they have something like this any where...got these from my Mom a while ago as see was tossing them out.

The bulbs are 60w and 75w Daywhite florescent bulbs. They run maybe $10 for two at Home depot.

Other than cropping, I don't typically do too much to the pics before posting other than maybe hitting the auto correct...sometime the white balance if things come out dark for some reason. I take 2 to 3 pics in each direction...not sure why, but the 2nd pic always comes out better. Sometime I use the timer to prevent any shaking but this is only about half the time ans most cameras have a steady shot built in.

Hope that helped clear things up a bit!

Time for a little update! I seem to be getting close on this one I think. I have managed to get a few things completed that were on my list. I still have a bunch of weathering to do...bunch because this thing is huge...LOL!!

First up, transfers...I added only a couple transfers like this:

Nothing too flashy by all means! Also, I lightened things a little too...I did dial things back a bit after taking these pics but it was for coloring, I just don't have pics of the "slightly darker coloring...yet!

I know someone seen the little bit of red showing on the return rollers...LOL!! Not done with these yet!!

Okay, this is the point of the story where I will warn anyone who might get a bit squeamish if they see something a little bit outside the box for the normal painting scheme. My intent is to have some fun and just kind of roll with things not necessarily having a clue from moment to moment!

I thought it would be fun to put some color in on this...one side of that coin was adding a Red Oxide panel at the back as if replaced for some reason.

If anyone is wondering, I used Vallejo's Red Oxide AFV set for this...

Sticking with the blind leading the blind, I took off the two of the engine hatches and decided to play some. These were changed too, they just never made it to the red oxide primer booth...

Now the idlers on this beast were in fact wood so this left some room to mess around here as well...

Just after painting before clean up....

Long story short......

You must be getting tired by now as I am from typing and copying URL's of the pics...

Next I was able to bang out the tracks!

A couple stabs with some dark rusting colors and a swipe with some steel pigments:

I promise, more to come soon! I have some light chipping to do and of course some weathering and things can kind of go back together on this! As always, I appreciate you swinging by for a bit and keeping me company!!
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 09:42 AM UTC
I kind of lost track of this build for a while; I have it bookmarked now. I'm glad to see it back and coming along nicely. Really impressive painting & weathering -- great reference material. And thank you for the photography information.

--mike
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 12:29 PM UTC
Thanks a bunch Mike!! Most appreciated!! You are welcome on the pic thing too! Maybe I can get this one together in the next day or two!!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 01:12 PM UTC
Yep, great pictures and great progress too.

Hope your still doing okay there!

Jeff
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 01:33 PM UTC
Thank you Jeff!!

Still hanging in there. Back to the DOc on Monday and then PT starts...Woo Hoo!!
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 05:24 PM UTC
Hospitals, docs and PT -- why I started model building again. Looking at your fine work and others' on Armorama is like visual therapy for me.

--mike
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 10:31 PM UTC
LOL...Modelling can be therapeutic Mike!! Certainly keeps he mind and hands busy!!
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 01:05 AM UTC
Thanks for the info and pics on your photo setup Todd!
Awesome job as usual. I like the replaced panel it create a nice contrast. Keep it up!!!
Phil.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hospitals, docs and PT -- why I started model building again. Looking at your fine work and others' on Armorama is like visual therapy for me.

--mike

We need to get you in one of the Campaigns and realize just how fun modeling really is.

And of course, off that laptop too.

Jeff
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 02:45 PM UTC
Thank you Philippe! And you are welcome too...hope some of that helped!

LOL...I hear you Jeff!! I was going to jump in on the Stug but I am still struggling getting out of my own way and yes, the PC is the biggest "brick" in my way...LOL!!!