_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/16 Renault FT
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 04:08 PM UTC
Hello Folks,

In the midst of a few builds going on I could not resist the start on this monster little guy! The French Light Tank - Renault FT Char Canon/Girod Turret in 1/16 form Takom.

Jim Starkweather has a great cracking the box review video here onsite: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/features/5064 Jim run through all of the parts in detail with stills...should help if you are thinking of picking this one up....here I will give my best attempt at constructing this one!

Not wasting too much time, Step one forward in the instructions calls for the construction of the engine...here are a couple of sprue shots toget things going:

First thing, this kit gets an 'A' for the cool factor. Being 1/16 items are a bit larger. The kit is supplied with the full interior and engine...second plus. One minor downside is the clean-up from what I am seeing on the engine. But not obsessing with this factor time to dive!!

After a little clean-up, things just fall together!

So just under a couple hours of snipping and cleaning and a little glue, things pop together and the project moves forward! This will not be a rush build as this should be FUN and I want to enjoy the whole thing. I will be needing to paint the engine and interior before things get buttoned up so I will be off an running with the Airbrush real soon!

Thanks for swinging by!!
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 06:09 PM UTC
I have to agree with you, its an awesome kit, had the luck to pick it up at a show for just 65€

I have testfitted some tracks - that will propably be the most timeconsuming part of the buildprocess.

Cheers
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 07:32 PM UTC
Cool! I'll watch too but only 'till MINE shows up later this week.

I was planning on RCing it but we'll see.

Jeff
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi Jan! Thanks for stopping in! I might work the tracks on and off while build the restto ease the paint of a one sit-down session...thanks for the heads up!

Thanks Jeff! Glad to have you along...even if its for a short bit! Good luck on the R/C-ing!!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 02:01 PM UTC
Hey folks!! Time for another update!!

While I got you...if you enjoy the thread, don't be afraid to click the "Follow this Thread" button at the top of the page! (shameless plug.. )

On to the update...

Continuing with the interior, parts for the drivers compartment were cleaned up. The driver's seat, well, it's a block! !!

I figured a little modification might help out on this part. After looking around I found several styles, probably depending on when and exactly where the tanks were constructed but came to a dicision to go with one that is close to what was provided,,,a Box! More of a sheet metal box! So adding a couple of minor details was all that was needed.

First some foil tape with some rivet detail along the edge.

Here is how it looked when I mocked up the space:

This almost did it for me...I seen another seat with a honed back plate. So.....

A little brass shim stock and some rivet details was added.

Slowly things are coming together here:

With any luck I will sneak down stairs and lay down some primer!! Thanks for tuning in!!

pssst...don't forget the "follow" button!!
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 03:46 PM UTC
Hey! I'm building the Meng kit and just got the insides painted. I'll be following. Dan
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 03:07 AM UTC
Appreciate you swinging by Dan!! I heard the Meng was nice...might have to look into that one! Got some primer down last night and might try some paint tonight!! Pics up later today!!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 01:33 PM UTC
Time for some fun to begin!! Since there is a full interior, there is the obvious painting prior to closing this up. I fire up the compressor last night and laid down some primer!!

I also was able to lay down a coat of paint on the engine earlier today! There is a number of options when it comes to the FT engine. A found the black enamel finish to be a decent choice for starters. I will try and make some accents with external parts but again, this is coming out of the gate!

I treated some other parts easlier to the same treatment but there are more coats to go on shortly. I have a pre-shade and top coat to the interior floor done, just waiting till it dries before I move forward!! Hope to have another update soon!!

Thanks for stopping in!!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 09:16 PM UTC
It's starting to look like a tank now! Keep going! I really didn't expect this much to be accomplished.

Do you always build in 1/16 or is this a first? If so, what other projects have you done?

Jeff
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 11:42 PM UTC
Thanks Jeff! This has been coming together pretty quickly for the most part. I think once the interior is done and out of the way the rest should fly until the painting an weathering...of course the tracks are in there too...but they should not be too bad!!!

1st tank in 1/16...liking it!! Makes me look at maybe a T34 down the road...LOL...way down the road!! The only other 1/16 was this I finished the other day!

I did manage to work on the radiator a bit.

Some washes and different effects on this should pan out nicely I think!! I began some of the painting on the trnasmission too. All airbrush work for now, but with any luck, I will work some effect this week.

As always, thanks for dropping in!!

(Hit the Follow Button... )
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 05:13 AM UTC
Well, time to toss another update in. Not the bigest but progress is a good thing.

Starting to shape up nicely! A little weathering on the inside and I can start to put her together soon!!

I still have some detail painting before I fully go after any washes and whatnot. Back at it tonight!!!

Thanks for having a LQQY!!
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 05:29 PM UTC
That's definitely a "no frills" seating arrangement for the driver. I'm sure he'll appreciate the added lumbar support!

Coming along nicely, T.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 02:52 PM UTC
Thanks Bob!! Nothing too ergonomic in there at all!! Not enough room for the reclining seat is this one!!

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 06:28 PM UTC
I like the effect you have on the radiator - are you going to ad wiring on the motor ?

Cheers/Jan
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 12:13 AM UTC
Thanks Jan! I will be adding wires soon. Was leaving a little room while I try and weather things a bit!! Should have an update a bit later today!!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 03:07 AM UTC
Hi Todd .. Great job so far ...I'm still thinking whether to buy this one or the 1/35 scale Meng kit...I'll be following along with interest...

Rick
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi Rick, Thanks!! Tough decision there...1/35 or 1/16???? The Meng does look nice!!! I know that this one is a relaxing build! So far the painting and weathering has been fun...your call! I assume either way you should have good time!!

OK....Update!!!

I was able to get some chipping done on some of the interior. A have one was down as well!!

A wash here or there to go on the lower interior. I need to paint the interior walls next.

I am working some of the engine at the moment. Should have another update a little later!

As always, thanks for having a peek!
JohnSimmons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 07:34 PM UTC
Just chucked mine in the bin Todd!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 10:47 PM UTC
Hey John!! Welcome my friend!! Sorry to hear that...Dare I ask?
JohnSimmons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 09:34 AM UTC
Lol only joking T! I just saw yours and thought I'd chuck in the towel. Nah I'm still scratchin away at it
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 10:26 AM UTC
Holy C**p Dude!! Actually was thinking you did...or you let your wife hold it like the Slave 1 kit!! I like seeing the differences between mine, yours and Ivan's...pretty cool seeing the different styles!! Like one of the Duels!!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 11:17 AM UTC
Sure, why not another update!!

Making my way through some of the weathering of the motor!!

After some dusting and oiling effects, I switched gears to working the manifold. This area needed a little distressing.

Using the water based washes from Vallejo, I found easy work out of applying in small sections, then stippling with a dry brush to feather out the look.

After several applications in layers I think I have closed in on the end of the road when it comes to the engine. I added some wiring and I might be moving on from here!!

I will be playing around with the rest of the interior over the next few days!! Real close to buttoning up the interior!!

Thanks for having a peek!!!

PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 11:38 AM UTC
Looks so good (and real) it looks as if it needs to be degreased!

Jeff
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 12:19 PM UTC
Thanks a bunch Jeff!! It's been "well used"!!
warmonger
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 117 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 02:08 PM UTC
Have you heard of any ammo coming from anyone yet? There's a lot of space for it. I think I may wait for it before I start mine.
 _GOTOTOP