Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Trumpeter T-72B -sort of- build log
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 06:40 AM UTC
Hi Everybody;
This is just a little Bit of Info, This Medium was first used only on the Inside of vehicles too Guard against Radiation that the Soviets were afraid of, and only later they decided that they could add extra protection by Layering it on the outside. The Makeup of this Material is a form of Rubber-Plastic type of material that is made up in thick sheets, and is almost Fabric in that its made up in Many Layers Pressed together. The First use of this Armor Cladding goes back Many Years, and was much talked about in the Intelligence Field way back in the so-called Cold War !! I know from experience, I was rite in the Middle of it !

CHEERS; MIKE.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 08:26 AM UTC
The anti-radiation cladding, as it was called, consisted of a resin mixture (is the actual mixture still secret?) with fiberglass interior reinforcement. (I did a quick look for info about the anti-rad cladding and found very little).

IIRC the pieces they did in PE are the covers for the place where the cladding is bolted on...I have no idea if there is filler between the plug and the bolt head or what...but that might explain why there is variance in recess/protrusion...
Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC
I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to rile anyone over the etch disks. It just looks like such a PITA to work with, especially if you're like me and tend to have issues with a carpet monster. If I can find the kit for a good price, I'll probably grab one in a couple of months.

While I'm here, does anyone know the accuracy of the AEF Designs T-72 turrets? I have at least 3 of them untouched in the stash and might consider using one with the new Trump kit.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 09:18 AM UTC
AEF Designs turrets are based on either the DML or Tamiya kit turrets, depending on when you bought them. They have had some work that was really good, but you will have to pull out your stash and research it. For all I know you have gold...or a total dog.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 06:37 AM UTC
Not too much time for modelling this weekend...
Some more work on the turret, adding the rest of the 93 round PE thingies -I ended placing all of them, even those that will lay under the ERA bricks-

That's not sooooo much work once you manage to achieve your way and your own pace to glue them to the turret.
The hardest part actually was to remove them from the PE fret. I ended almost blind after all the "eye-focusing" requiered to remove those #%$/&"### little roundels...

On the way, some of the front ERA blocks -still have to glue the PE details to them- were placed, and the gunners hatch dry fitted in place -also missing a few PE details-.

Enough talking, time to go to the pics

IMG_5615

IMG_5612

IMG_5630

IMG_5630

IMG_5635

IMG_5638

IMG_5641

IMG_5619

IMG_5618

IMG_5617

IMG_5612

Those ERA blocks requiered some sanding to achieve a flat and smooth surface, not the best molded parts of the kit...

I've checked some references, and-as usual- Jacques was right about the fact that the round metal parts to secure the antiradiaton cladding are placed in an uneven way.
Just for discussion purposes you can take a look at these pics -I believe that most of you already knew them-

72b1-4

72b1-3

Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 10:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

AEF Designs turrets are based on either the DML or Tamiya kit turrets, depending on when you bought them. They have had some work that was really good, but you will have to pull out your stash and research it. For all I know you have gold...or a total dog.

I bought them back around the turn of the Century........maybe 2001 or so.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 11:42 AM UTC
Best guess is they are DML based and maybe not so awesome. Again, you will have to look them over to be sure. I have 1 good one I bought back in 2006 or so and one I bought in 1998 or so that is WAY not awesome now.
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 11:07 PM UTC
Great progress, this is a very nice kit
Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 08:10 AM UTC
I picked up the kit from the Squadron sale last week. Saved some money on it and also grabbed a T-62BV for a little over $20. As far as the T-72 goes, what is the general consensus as far as Trumpeter's accuracy? Have we heard anything from our friends in Russia regarding this?

While I am here posting, I wanted to mention I found all for of my AEF designs turrets from the late 1990's early 2000. Both of the "T-90" conversions are junk by todays standards and I have two T-72 turrets (AEF #KT-97 T-72 M2 1990 Super Dolly Parton and #KT-95 T-72 M1 with "lead laminate")

Amazing what you forget you have in stash. I also found a set of Fruilmodel T-72 rmsh tracks that I paid $30 for.......
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 09:21 AM UTC
Looks like I'm getting one of these an all that little PE stuff looks hard an you'll need some patient's to do all that but when I seen them on the real tank it looks incredible an I can't wait to see your finished model it looks impressive already. What painting scheme you thinking about using.

Did they export any of these T-72B anywhere.

Happy modeling
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 11:23 AM UTC
I really like this kit
As said before, the PE pieces are a bit demanding but with care and patience -but isn't that what modelling is about mostly?- you'll find yourself ending the job sooner than what you might have expected.

Not much time for modelling recently, I hope to be able to spend some hours tomorrow to follow on this tread...
Not sure about the painting scheme yet, my first idea was to depict a plain green vehicle in either Ossetia or Chechnya -the later if I decide to scratch build the slat armor usually used-
Any suggestion for that green color? I prefer using enamels if possible
UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 09:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really like this kit
As said before, the PE pieces are a bit demanding but with care and patience -but isn't that what modelling is about mostly?- you'll find yourself ending the job sooner than what you might have expected.

Not much time for modelling recently, I hope to be able to spend some hours tomorrow to follow on this tread...
Not sure about the painting scheme yet, my first idea was to depict a plain green vehicle in either Ossetia or Chechnya -the later if I decide to scratch build the slat armor usually used-
Any suggestion for that green color? I prefer using enamels if possible

AK model soviet green? Enamels are bad for health though....

AK028 soviet green http://www.bnamodelworld.com/ak-interactive/ak-028
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 09:49 AM UTC
I know, but with a mask and a well ventilated place I'm safe enough for my standards

I may give a try to this AK set, but also found the Vallejo one:
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/afv-russian-green-4bo/family/17/118

Not so sure about which one would be more accurate.
I used Vallejo paints before, but no experience with AK ones...
acebatau
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 616 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 10:06 AM UTC
Will be following
UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 10:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know, but with a mask and a well ventilated place I'm safe enough for my standards

I may give a try to this AK set, but also found the Vallejo one:
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/afv-russian-green-4bo/family/17/118

Not so sure about which one would be more accurate.
I used Vallejo paints before, but no experience with AK ones...

Notice the big trade mark vallajo logo on the right, I think they are from the same company, so no need to worry.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 10:17 AM UTC
You're right!

Thanks for the advice
Cuny12
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 378 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 11:05 AM UTC
Hi Hugo Ive been Enjoying your build I have a quick question in my instructions for this kit I Have found a mistake on the Construction of the Loaders hatch there are Two parts listed That say they come from the J sprue however there is no J sprue the parts in question are a latch and a grab handle out of interest did you have the same problem thanks in advance Ben.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hi Ben!
Glad that you likethis tread

First things first, you'll not find a "loader" hatch in this vehicle, since it uses an autoloader and has a three man crew. We are talking here about the gunner's hatch.
That said, you're right, there is no J sprue, or at least I was not able to find it yet, even as part of another sprue. Furthermore, I did not find any other references to J parts in the instructions.

This did not mean a a problem for me since I wanted to display the hatch in the close position, but if you want to depict it open, you'll have to scratch build those two hinges...
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 - 03:54 AM UTC
A small update
The turret is going on slowly but without big issues.
Still have to add about 20 or 30 PE thingies here and there.

Did not decide yet if I'll go with the kit's IR searchlight or with some Miniarm stuff, that's why I did not put it in place up to now.
On a side note, I'm surprised about how strong and hard ended being the IR searchlight support an the thin arms that connect it to the main gun. I managed to twist, knock and push the whole thing about a dozen times, and its still there...

Some pics

IMG_5744

IMG_5733

IMG_5719

IMG_5717

IMG_5723

IMG_5726

IMG_5727

IMG_5728

IMG_5731

IMG_5732

IMG_5735

IMG_5737

IMG_5739

IMG_5741

IMG_5743

IMG_5745

IMG_5747
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 - 04:01 AM UTC
That's some serious patience to add all those discs.
I would have lost half of them!!
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 - 08:32 AM UTC
Oh yes, those PE is a real PITA, and still left some more of those little bits to add.

Here another bunch of pics, now with the turret bins in place
The main gun is just dry-fitted, it will be probably replaced with the RB model's or Eduard's ones. The Eduard offering is a bit short, surely because it was produced with the old Dragon kit in mind.

IMG_5748

IMG_5749

IMG_5754

IMG_5755

IMG_5756

IMG_5760

IMG_5761

IMG_5762

IMG_5763

IMG_5764

IMG_5766

IMG_5767

IMG_5768

IMG_5773

IMG_5774

IMG_5777

IMG_5778

IMG_5780
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 - 09:25 AM UTC
Hi Guys;

Don't use the Edward Barrel, its all wrong !
Too Short and way over scale, use the kits Barrel!!
The RB Barrel is not much better than the Edward.
The Work that you are doing on the Turret is Tops, guess I am just going too break down and purchase this kit my-self despite all the PE disks.
CHEERS; MIKE.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 - 11:09 AM UTC
Thanks for tour advice Mike!
OK, I'll stay with the kit's barrel. In the end it might be easier to sand it carefully than trying to mate the metal barrels.

I strongly suggest you to go for this kit, it is really nice.
Of course there is place for a number of improvements and superdetailing, as always, but you'll find a lot of fun building it even with all those tiny disks.
I hope Trumpeter release another version soon
Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 - 01:55 AM UTC
Looking great Hugo. Lets see some paint on it!
toby2282
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 - 03:53 AM UTC
Have you considered the Orange Hobby barrel??? They do a 125mm 2A46M barrel which is very good. I have two for my next T-72 and T-90 builds. Worth a look at least.

Toby