_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tasca M4A1 Sherman w 5AITC wading trunk
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hello fellow modellers!

I would like to present to you the first model I have actually finished in some four years.

It started its life as a OOTB build (at least that was the plan)
Then AMS got the better of me...
I have added Lionmarc barrel Friulmodel tracks, Karaya tow cable and OVM scratchbuilt straps. Let it sit on the shelf painted for a couple of years and just then deciding I want it based more or less on the photo that the scheme from the kit is also based. I gathered some references and startedby altering some of the camo splotches accordingly to the original photo.

I added equipment tray as per photos of similar tanks landing on the Sicily, scratchbuild the wading trunk, again based on the photographs and finally added waterproofing around the openings, removed headlights and both co-ax and bow MG.
Lastly I have added towing cable mounting on the engine deck and the "comb" device but that was only after most of the pictures of the model were taken so it is visible only in the last photo. Backpacks and the rolls are from Verlinden with jerrycans from Italeri

The commander comes from the kit, driver is an Italeri tanker sans head, which was replaced with warriors one.

Cheers,
Greg

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 12:28 AM UTC
Hi Pedro ... Very nice work .. Good job on the scratch built wading truck.. It's hard not to go nuts with AMS when you build shermans!

Congrats
Rick
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 01:35 AM UTC
Hey Rick,
Thanks, unfortunately my AMS isn't limited to building shermans, which sadly took away a bit of fun from the hobby

Cheers,
Greg
leonhzy
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 08:52 PM UTC
Nice M4A1 out there! Individual track links looks good in detail. Any sherman with cast hull looks great to me!
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 12:22 PM UTC
Thank you Leon, I love those cast hull shermans too, especially those with bolted three piece transmission cover, 75mm gun, narow rotor shield and possibly DV, love them to bits.
They do have that not-too-intimidating look of a little hippo going on about them though

Cheers
Greg
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 01:43 PM UTC
wow, that is absolutely fantastic!!
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 04:55 AM UTC
Thanks Jason, much appreciated!

Cheers, Greg
PanzerGeek
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 221 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 08:08 AM UTC
Absolutely awesome
Greg

Cheers

Todd
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 08:27 AM UTC
Can't believe I am asking this as I am not usually a knit-picker . . . by the way, great build and I am very impressed with the face shading.

Now question; does your research actually show that the guy ropes for the wading trunks are tied to the lift rings of the turret? I have never seen this before and if the crew suddenly had to go into action, say while coming ashore and needed to rotate the turret to fire at the enemy, it could tear off the trunks, let in the sea water and foul the engine, yes?
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 08:49 AM UTC
OK, I found only two reference photos for the 5AITC trunks in a quick internet search. (Every other photo I found was of your model - Congrats!)

One photo appears to have no guy ropes on the trunks whatsoever and the other APPEARS to have the ropes tied off to the turret lift rings. However you cannot actually SEE where the ropes are tied in the photograph but it looks as though that is the only place they could be going.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 09:10 AM UTC
Thanks for compliments Todd!

Michael, thanks for the kind words! As to your question, yes they could have not been tied in any other place on those shermans with 5 AITC trunks. I dont remember right now what S Zaloga had to say on that matter in his Modelling the US Medium M4 Sherman book (he tied them there also) but I've found a few more photos of tanks with those trunks and they tend to confirm that they were tied to turret rings.

Plus recently I've read an article about preparations of British tanks for D-Day and the idea was to remove the upper part of the trunks ASAP when tank was needed to go into action, in which case the tie downs were released from within the interior of the tank (in those shermans they were run through ventilator dome on the turret).

ps. As to my photo being all over google: I guess tags I've put on my photos in imageshack actually ar eworth something

Best regards,
Greg
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 02:12 AM UTC
I must say, I like the base too. It is not an even surface, which makes it better. And the black paint on it makes it stand out a lot.

Cheers,
Tom
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hi Pedro,

Fine looking Sherman, nice work.

Al
 _GOTOTOP