Humvee's without side mirrors?
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 234 posts
Armorama: 200 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 05:43 AM UTC
Hey guys,

I plan on finishing up my latest build this weekend (after an incredibly busy week at work). I am building Italeri's what they call a 'Commando Hum-V' (soft-top M998 in 1/35). The plan is to position it alongside an M113A2 during the early days of Iraqi Freedom (April 2003).

My issue is this: The kit only comes with he older side mirrors and not the 'truck style' ones. Rather than waste an entire windshield frame from my Academy M998 gun-truck kit, I am rather going to leave the side mirrors off. How common would it have been to see Humvees without any side mirrors?
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guys,

I plan on finishing up my latest build this weekend (after an incredibly busy week at work). I am building Italeri's what they call a 'Commando Hum-V' (soft-top M998 in 1/35). The plan is to position it alongside an M113A2 during the early days of Iraqi Freedom (April 2003).

My issue is this: The kit only comes with he older side mirrors and not the 'truck style' ones. Rather than waste an entire windshield frame from my Academy M998 gun-truck kit, I am rather going to leave the side mirrors off. How common would it have been to see Humvees without any side mirrors?

You could try to scratch build a pair but make it look like it's was hit and pieces are just hanging on . Like the guy drove down a tight alley and sideswiped another vehicle , a lot of things happen in battle .
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guys,

I can mail you some mirror parts for free if you want.
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 07:45 AM UTC
Thanks for the response Chumpo. Not a bad idea, but it would be rare that the Humvee I am using would have been used in actual combat. Sgt Sauer, let me rather drop you a PM.
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 07:45 AM UTC
Thanks for the response Chumpo. Not a bad idea, but it would be rare that the Humvee I am using would have been used in actual combat. Sgt Sauer, let me drop you a PM to discuss your generous offer.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 08:36 AM UTC
I have piles of Humvee parts from various manufacturers so I know I can help you out.

Feel free to email me at [email protected]
hliu24
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 798 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 09:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have piles of Humvee parts from various manufacturers so I know I can help you out.

Feel free to email me at [email protected]
size=1 color=#353535>

Brent

Thank you for your generosity......to me and the others

Jay
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am building Italeri's what they call a 'Commando Hum-V' (soft-top M998 in 1/35). The plan is to position it alongside an M113A2 during the early days of Iraqi Freedom (April 2003).

...it would be rare that the Humvee I am using would have been used in actual combat.

Not true at all. At the time of the invasion, the Army didn't have many uparmored HMMWVs. They were mainly used by Scouts amd MPs. The rest of the army had soft HMMWVs. Most HMMWVs were unarmored M1025 Weapons carriers (hardtop) and M998s (softtop) varients. My Bn, 1-39 FA (MLRS), 3 ID had only 6 M1025 (2 per firing battery) and a bunch of M998s. In my Battery, we had all M998s. We were behind the lead task force and took fire often. My Command M998 (which is what you are building) had multiple bullet/shrapmel holes in the metal and fabric. Luckily, neither I nor my driver were hit. We did have personnel in other M998s who were hit though.
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 06:38 PM UTC
Thank you so much SgtSauer, I really do appreciate your offer.

Sorry Heavyarty, allow me to reiterate. What I should have said was 'I am using the Humvee in a logistical role, where it will be positioned alongside the APC to offload some supplies before they role out.' Hence the reason I don't want it battle scarred.

Having said that, I do also realise that the supply units also got caught in ambushes during the push (everyone remembers the "Jessica Lynch Convoy" ambush in Nasiriyah).

Thanks again for the help and comments guys.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 08:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the response Chumpo. Not a bad idea, but it would be rare that the Humvee I am using would have been used in actual combat. Sgt Sauer, let me rather drop you a PM.

does not have to be in combat , maybe a bunch of drunk GI's
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 10:04 PM UTC
Haha! Now there's an idea.
 _GOTOTOP