_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WW1 Armour - and the question is?
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 03:49 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Which if any of the plastic manufacturers do you think will be the first to release a brand new, all singing and dancing WW1 British tank in 1/35 scale?

I though MB might have been a contender as they have had a 1/35 scale set of WW1 fig in the pipe line for some time but they seem to have opted for 1/72 scale.

Al
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 03:53 AM UTC
I don't care who ...Just get them out ! My bet is on Meng

Rick
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 04:02 AM UTC
Since you bring up WW1 armor, I'm curious if there is an interest in WW1 rifles, machine guns, helmets, etc?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hi Rick,

Yes, Meng might be a possible. I'd like them to have interiors .

Al
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 04:23 AM UTC
Alan,

I think Master Box is a strong contender. They've just done the engineering in 1/72 scale, so enlarging that might be a tactic on their part.

Frankly, though, I've never been impressed by MB. Their figure sets are way over-priced IMO, lacking the crispness and fidelity of detail that would justify resin-figure prices for injection molded mult-part figgies. I would be very leery of any MB full kit and would definitely wait on a number of reviews before I shelled out the money for one.

However, I'd love to see Meng do those subjects. I've just gotten my copy of their FT-17, and it's a real beauty. If they were to put that much effort into the "rhomboids," we'd have some great kits!

I would not hesitate to pre-order a Meng "rhomboid" if they announced one today. (I've already done so with their Char 2C...)

Takom is another possibility. With their St. Chamond announcement, they might be stealing the march on many of the other manufacturers. I think they did a "workman-like" job on their big FT-17, but it did have some disappointing fidelity of detail issues. I'm hopeful that their St. Chamond will be a nice kit. If so, Takom "rhomboids" would be welcome on my part.

Quoted Text

Since you bring up WW1 armor, I'm curious if there is an interest in WW1 rifles, machine guns, helmets, etc?

Short answer, Brent - Yes.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

My FT17 is somewhere on route. The Meng kit looks excellent and yes they are much more likely to be super detailed.

MB have come up with some interesting figure sets, not perfect but greatly added to the lack of Brits that had been the case for many years. They need a bit of work though and I'm not that keen on their kit. I'll be interested to see how the WW1 set turns out, they will be the first new WW1 plastic injection figs I've seen so far.

Hi Brent.

WWW1 gear useable for conversions would be good to have.

Thanks for the thoughts folks.

Al

BEEKAY
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 11:21 AM UTC
Emhar are releasing the 1/35 Tadpole in January according to Pocketbond at the Telford show. Their kits get some stick but do make up into really nice models. I've recently finished and based up the Whippet.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 12:19 PM UTC
id like to see some US markings for Meng's FT17
davidg
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 02:16 PM UTC
I think it may be Tamiya. On the Landships2 website someone mentions several Asian men measuring the Mk IV at Bovington tank museum. The tank was closed to the public all day. These men are then said to have had their picture taken at the Tamiya sign in the Tamiya Hall.Giving a V sign with their fingers.Look at the Landship site for more info, page two in the modelling forum. In saying that Meng would be my best bet . Maybe Trumpeters secret announcement this weekend is a British rhomboid ?.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 11:07 PM UTC
Thanks for the info Brian and Dave.

I saw your Whippet Brian, you did a great job with the kit.

Dave Tamiya would no doubt do a nice kit, but likely to be a one off. Meng might be a better option for a couple of different MKs over time and a good quality detailed OOB build. By all accounts their FT17 is excellent.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Al
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...in the Tamiya Hall.Giving a V sign with their fingers.

Which way round were their V signs?
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 03:16 AM UTC
I'd love it to be Tamiya ...Since it isn't my (real) area of interest , I could build it up fast and within a couple of weeks have it sitting on my shelf..Don't need a 1000 piece kit ..

Rick
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 03:47 AM UTC
[quote]Alan,

Frankly, though, I've never been impressed by MB. Their figure sets are way over-priced IMO, lacking the crispness and fidelity of detail that would justify resin-figure prices for injection molded mult-part figgies. I would be very leery of any MB full kit and would definitely wait on a number of reviews before I shelled out the money for one.
quote]

Where do you buy them? Here they are cheaper than Dragon and Tamiya figure sets?

Cheers
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...in the Tamiya Hall.Giving a V sign with their fingers.

Which way round were their V signs?

Indeed. There is a very critcal difference in meaning in that question!
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 12:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it may be Tamiya. On the Landships2 website someone mentions several Asian men measuring the Mk IV at Bovington tank museum. The tank was closed to the public all day. These men are then said to have had their picture taken at the Tamiya sign in the Tamiya Hall.Giving a V sign with their fingers.Look at the Landship site for more info, page two in the modelling forum. In saying that Meng would be my best bet . Maybe Trumpeters secret announcement this weekend is a British rhomboid ?.

I can't find that about Bovington on there (any direct links would be great). The only thing I could find was this about MB.......

http://landships.activeboard.com/t55366412/135th-scale-mark-i-male-and-female/

davidg
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 03:21 PM UTC
Not sure how to do links from IPad. Go to landships site, forums, modelling and go to page two, scroll down to Possible 1/35th styrene MK IV......... I hope this helps David
Cheers
Dave
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 - 02:24 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Alan,

quote]

Where do you buy them? Here they are cheaper than Dragon and Tamiya figure sets?

Cheers

My local hobby shop. Their prices are about the same as every other US hobby shop I've been in.

My point, though, is not really about the price. I'm willing to pay if the quality and fidelity of detail are both high. Unfortunately, that has not been my judgement of MB figure sets. The figure sculpting is no better than DML or Mini-art, and the accessory detail is usually far poorer.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 - 05:55 AM UTC
The figure sculpting is no better than DML or Mini-art, and the accessory detail is usually far poorer.[/quote]
I would agree with that, but then their prices are not any higher than Dragon's either. And MB sometimes have 5 or more figs to a set. Their sculpting may not be quite as crisp as Dragon, but they have much more imaginative poses ( and some of Dragon's latest releases haven't been up to par either). Dress up MB figs with Hornet heads and Dragon equipment and you have some very usable figs. If your LHS is charging "resin figure prices", (your statement) for a box of MB figs, I'd like to know where you can get 5 or 6 resin figs for 15 - 20 $...on the other hand, if your LHS is charging 50 - 60 $ for a box of MB figs, find an other LHS.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 - 06:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not sure how to do links from IPad. Go to landships site, forums, modelling and go to page two, scroll down to Possible 1/35th styrene MK IV......... I hope this helps David
Cheers
Dave

Thanks got it now. Here it is...

http://landships.activeboard.com/t55320255/possible-135-styrene-mk-iv-male-from-a-well-known-japanese-m/

Not sure what to make of it though. Do Tamiya really wear white overalls when they're measuring up things I wonder?

SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The figure sculpting is no better than DML or Mini-art, and the accessory detail is usually far poorer.

I would agree with that, but then their prices are not any higher than Dragon's either. And MB sometimes have 5 or more figs to a set. Their sculpting may not be quite as crisp as Dragon, but they have much more imaginative poses ( and some of Dragon's latest releases haven't been up to par either). Dress up MB figs with Hornet heads and Dragon equipment and you have some very usable figs. If your LHS is charging "resin figure prices", (your statement) for a box of MB figs, I'd like to know where you can get 5 or 6 resin figs for 15 - 20 $...on the other hand, if your LHS is charging 50 - 60 $ for a box of MB figs, find an other LHS.

A slight exaggeration (only). The last set I bought a couple of months ago cost over US$30 (with sales tax) with precisely the lack of detail in the weapons and other accessories and poor to mediocre sculpting that we've both noted.

I have no problem "dressing up" my figures (I replace all injection molded heads and most of the hands with resin as a matter of course), but, again, my point is that if MB do 1/35 scale British WWI tanks, I won't hold out any high expectations for fidelity of detail, and I would expect the price to be quite high when compared to their competitors. That combination, mediocre detail and high cost, does not make for good value in my book.

That's all I was trying to say. As to the cost of MB figures: more power to anyone who can find them cheaper and likes to use them. I just don't have a very high opinion of them in respect to either detail or cost.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To be honest, I'm not terribly interested in the equipment if there aren't more figures to use them with. !

Paul
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

To be honest, I'm not terribly interested in the equipment if there aren't more figures to use them with. !

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'd disagree, it's precisely because of the lack of figures that weapon and equipment sets would be very useful. As there is such a shortage in 1/35 scale WW1 figs then the only option is to convert what is around and decent weapon and equipment sets would help there.

On the MB and Mini Art figs, what both companies have done extremely well is bring to the market a range of interesting and useful poses and add greatly to the choice available especially on the Allied side. I can't think of any plastic figures that don't benefit from new heads and additional or swapped kit.

New tanks which was the lead on this thread would IMHO produce new figures and WW1 is a really interesting period to model in. I live in hope of an increase in kits in this area.

Cheers

Al
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I live in hope of an increase in kits in this area.

Cheers

Al

Me too!
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 12:32 PM UTC
I wouldn't mind seeing new World War 1 vehicles, figures and stowage either. Some of them could also be used by modelers interested in the conflicts that took place between the two World Wars. This is a period of history that has always intrigued me. New military technologies existed, and were being applied enthusiastically by commanders of the day, but the best designs and the most effective ways of using them hadn't yet been worked out, so there was a lot of trial and error. It was an exciting time, however grievous the human toll.
 _GOTOTOP