_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Chinese Type 89 Anti-tank Gun - Finished
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 06:48 PM UTC
Here's my take on the anti-tank version of the Chinese Type 89. I'm calling it finished, though there are a couple of little minor things yet to be done. From what I've been told, it's one of the earlier Trumpeter kits. It's been built mostly straight out of the box. The additions are the added stowage in the turret racks, drilled out and filled headlights, and I modified the loaders hatch so that it rotates.

The kit, itself, is pretty nice as far as molding and fit goes, though I do believe Trumpeter was trying for the "most ejector pin marks" title at that time. Thankfully, most are hidden, but there are still a fair number that need to be dealt with. ;-| I was going to replace the barrel with a metal one. After ordering one in though, I realized that it didn't have the ridge on top like the kit version, so I stuck with the original.

It's been finished in the standard 3 tone camo pattern of the time. I went with light weathering, as it might have looked after a couple of days into a field exercise (some dirt on the lower hull and a coat of dust). As usual, comments and critiques are most welcome.

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 07:55 PM UTC
NICE! Got to love the engine details!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 11:20 PM UTC
Excellent work Bob- the camo scheme colors are spot-on and nicely applied- I think the subtle weathering also compliments the scheme and also suggests, as you said, dirt caused by use on an exercise etc. Nice to see the engine hatches open too and some stowage in the racks. Great stuff !
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 12:22 AM UTC
Very nice! When you say "drilled out and filled headlights", what did you fill them with?
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 02:15 AM UTC
Cristian - I did like that they included the drivetrain, and they did all right with the turret interior, too. It's just a shame the only thing in the lower fighting compartment included was, of all things, an air compressor.

Karl - Thanks for the comments. Good to hear I managed to portray the finish I wanted. The transmission hatch is fully hinged and workable. The rest of them sadly aren't, but can be posed open or closed.

Thomas - First, let me thank you for inadvertently pointing out a mistake on my part. After drilling them out, I should have painted the interior of the housings silver before refilling them for more reflectivity. I could always repeat the process, but I don't think that's going to happen.
In answer to your question, while there are a few different things out there, I use Micro Kristel Klear. In the 4th picture the lights have an opaque look to them. That fogginess will totally disappear after the Klear fully cures.
turkeyshot
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 08:32 PM UTC
A nice rendition of a rarely-seen AFV. Great work Bob!
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 04:14 AM UTC
Thanks Jason. Appreciate the kind words.
 _GOTOTOP