_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
advice needed on photographing your work!
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 244 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 10:40 PM UTC
Hi Everyone
I've been trying totake photos of my dioramas i bought a good 16mp semipro camera and still my photos are not as good as reality or even close.
I need advice on the best photographic conditions: morning or night? Artificial or morning light? Yellow or white light? Best camera setting? Distance when shooting and zoom level? Do i need to retouch or recolor the photos on the pc to improve light and color tones? Or in the end is it better to go to a pro photographer but transporting all my work to a studio is a hassle and costy.
Let me know how you do it
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 11:30 PM UTC
I wrote some notes on that in my blog. Artificial light will give you constant results. White light. The distance - check focus distance for your camera.

http://roman-bizarre.blogspot.no/2013/09/how-to-take-images-of-models.html
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 01:31 AM UTC
Thanks roman
I read the blog...very helpful indeed and amswers most of my questions.
I need to know also how you position your models what do you use for background? Which color? And how do you cover all angles background back and sides?
Also at what distance do you shoot? Do you shoot from far and use zoom? Or do you use Macro option and get really close?
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 01:35 AM UTC
Roman
Is that halogen white light you use?
Calahan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 05:09 AM UTC
I would suggest researching a 'light tent'. I made one, and I used a large cardboard box as my frame. The link below is the page I used a few years ago to make mine. I use both a medium gray and an off-white background for shots.

http://www.diyphotography.net/homestudio/super-simple-light-tent

Its good you bought a semi-pro camera. Hopefully it's a DSLR. The trick for good shots are a long focal length (50mm plus), proper lighting (2 lights minimum), and proper photo retouching. I've been using Photoshop for over 10+yrs... I have always needed to retouch photos I've shot in a lightbooth(light tent if you will). DON'T use halogens (too hot), try to find some decent 'natural light' incandescent bulbs - most, if not all have a blue-tinted bulbs.

More light the better. Diffuse light with cloth between the bulbs and the subject. I use cheapo automotive aluminum flood light housings for my bulbs.

Good model photography is an artform in itself. Each photo session will be better than the last. Research 'product photography' and apply that knowledge to your models.

Paul

PS, Always use a tripod. F-Stops such as f11, f13, f16, f19 & f22 work well for a tack-sharp shot. Also, drop your ISO down to 200 or 400 for less noise (clarity).
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 05:33 AM UTC
There is a dedicated forum on Kitmaker/armorama for photography that should answer any questions

Photography
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 07:22 AM UTC
I wrote it in the beginning - I have Vatmann white paper on sides and bachground paper in the middle. Distance depends on objective of your camera. I don't move it closer than 30cm.
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 01:27 PM UTC
What if i dont have blue light bulbs in Egypt.
I have the option of normal Halogen light spot.
Or philips light saver bulbs(white or yellow)?
I can get two spots or two desk lamps and create a light box for photos.
What do you think? Which is better?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 01:34 PM UTC
I would recommend using OTT lights. They are the closest thing to actual daylight. If they are too expensive or unavailable, go with led's. I don't use a light tent. Instead, I photograph on a piece of blue poster board and on a manila envelope, for smaller parts. You may need to adjust the color settings on your camera, to capture the true spectrum. Avoid using a flash, as this washes out the image. I believe you can purchase a light tent on Amazon.com for $50. I also find actual daylight to give the photo a yellow cast. If you are still unhappy with your photos, you can always take the diorama to a professional photographer. If you only have a few photos taken, the price can be quite reasonable. Pay attention to their techniques and set up to recreate your own studio.
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 02:00 PM UTC
We have philips light saver, these are these energy saving curly lamps. There is normal white, warm white(wich is yellowish) and there is daylight. Which do you think? Or better than these i could get a normal halogen light but that's also yellow and heats up a lot.
B_Ernie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 04:04 PM UTC
Check your camera menu for two items,
1: Custom white balance.
2: Shooting in RAW mode.
Setting a custom white balance can enable you to shoot with almost any kind of artificial light without getting strange colour casts.
Shooting in RAW mode as opposed to JPEG mode captures all the data received by the camera sensor and does not apply any compression such as you get when you shoot in JPEG mode, with the RAW data you can manipulate the white balance and other exposure settings as well as apply filters such as sharpening and noise reduction in programs such as Adobe Lightroom, shooting in RAW mode will result in large files, My 7D gives 20 to 30 MB ber photo in RAW mode but it's easy to reduce the file size after the manipulations by exporting to JPEG and then resizing the photo for the web.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 06:31 AM UTC
I would recommend the halogen lamp. You have to be careful, though. Too much exposure will melt your model. The daylight curl bulbs are ok, but inferior to the other light sources mentioned. Something else you may want to consider is using a photo editing program such as Photoshop. There are several free ones available online.
Hisham
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 06:55 AM UTC
First of all, Hussein, do you actually live in Egypt? That would make you the only other modeller I've heard of in Egypt!

Now, if I may join in and ask Paul.. what kind of material do you use to diffuse the light?

Again, it's great to see another Egyptian into modelling

Hisham
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 09:37 AM UTC
Hi Hisham

Yes its true I also never thought there was another modeler in Egypt, glad to know I'm not alone. We should meet and compare work and who knows maybe start a club or something

I am building a custom light tent and I will use "Tyvek" material to diffuse light as it has a very white surface.
I will use daylight bulbs and will try to re-photograph my dioramas. Hoping for better photo results.
Will adjust my camera based on all the advice I got here.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 11:11 AM UTC
A good alternative to a light tent is to use a clear plastic storage box from Ikea (Or similar) turned on it's side with a sheet of paper for the background taped on.
Though I have a light tent I sometimes use a similar set up to THIS
(Not my image I found it here)
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A good alternative to a light tent is to use a clear plastic storage box from Ikea (Or similar) turned on it's side with a sheet of paper for the background taped on.
Though I have a light tent I sometimes use a similar set up to THIS
(Not my image I found it here)

Thank you for post the links. I am going to pick up a cheap, canvas type box next time I'm out.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 11:15 PM UTC
I recently asked the question in a photography forum and got a nice discussion. One question that came up was "what effect do you want to achive".

a) Product shot like I want to sell it/show all detail

b) Realistic looking shot, maybe with a background picture

Depending on the target the two have different ideas about light, camera position and depth of field.

Many tutorials are based on a) where you want to show all details and use multiple light sources to remove shadows etc. That includes using light tents etc.

For b) the tip was to use less light or even "available" (day)light. Single light source with a Softbox to simulate the sun, accept shadows etc.

================

For typ a)

+ Use a tripod or other stable position
+ A (cable) remote might also be useful

+ 2-3 lamps of the same type for color "temperature"
+ Set camera to "auto white balance, test shot, check colors. If they are not right do a manual white balance

+ Large appreture values to increase the depth of field
+ If the camera can do it let the camera decide to the timing (AV mode for Canons)

+ For very large models focus stacking, taking multiple shots with a moving point of focus and then compose them in the computer may work
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 09:40 AM UTC
Hi
I would like to thank everyone who posted to this post.
I have gathered all your advice and read some of your articles about light boxes and light tents and decided to do my own design, this was my idea on paper:

The design includes a light box with the sides slanted towards the center to allow focused light and less shadows and give a realistic light source from an angle, the top covered with Aluminum foil to reflect the light back from the top and reduce bottom shadows.
Cutting the base:

cutting the back:

assembling:

The hollow side frame:

The sides applying semi transparent both from inside and outside (two layers):

The top with Aluminum foil:

the light Box after assembly:

Adding the lights on the sides using "Daylight" lamps:

I am very satisfied with the photo results, this is much better than all my previous photos, some test photos:

Once again thanks to everyone who helped me build this.
Now I have one last question, which is really THE best software that can do the best Autocorrect for my photos? I dont want to use manual correction for each photo, I just need the best software that can do autocorrection. I have many but don't know which to select.

Cheers

Hussein
Calahan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 11:27 AM UTC
BRAVO!

I'll need to remember this in the future. Well designed unit. I love it! Those test shots you made are well lit with zero harsh shadows or highlights. Until this tent I have not ran across a hexagonal light tent. Nice execution on your forum post too.

If you want a cheap piece of professional software I'd recommend either one of these (each one easily replaces Photoshop):

• Adobe Lightroom
• DxO Optics

Also, it seems like you want an easy fix to save time on each photo - each one of these programs has 'auto' features, however, don't be hesitant to use all the editing tools to fine tune your best shots out of each photo session. Dramatic shots can be had by simply messing around with your shadow, highlight and midtone sliders.
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 11:45 AM UTC
I downloaded PhotoScape from CNet 2 weeks ago.
It has nice auto correct features and is really easy to use.
And it's free!!
Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 287 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 12:55 PM UTC
I would recommend getting some close up lens and perhaps some colored filters - always fun to play around with. A good tripod or a table top version comes in handy. You can find the mentioned items on Ebay and they are very inexpensive now.
Make sure you get the right size filters/lens for your camera.
Ironmike
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 02:23 PM UTC
That has helped me a lot. Wish I had one of those it would improve my pictures.

Happy modeling
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 05:12 PM UTC
As your photos show, excellent design Hussein. Bravo! I never thought of adding a solid top with aluminum foil as a reflector. I'm off to build one myself and retire my old beat up cardboard box light tent

This would make a nice short feature if you would be willing to submit it, that way it won't get lost in the forums...too good not to have more eyes on this.
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 - 12:24 AM UTC
Thanks Guys
I am downloading "Adobe Lightroom" and will give it a try
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 - 02:30 AM UTC
Also check out "Gimp" photo software. It is a free download (Mac or PC) and offers almost all the abilities of Photoshop!
 _GOTOTOP