_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Academy Early Tiger I / interior
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 - 03:57 AM UTC
Ok, so here's my Tiger I from Academy. It's fun to build, nice & easy except for those eff'n metal tracks!!! Yes they are friul! I have no patience.I replaced the barrel with a Dragon one I had laying around. I also have a Dragon Tiger I Mid Prod on the bench , as well as a Dragon Marder III.
PS- That's not dust on my keyboard, that's overspray ! lol

HEINE-07
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 07:42 PM UTC
I think there is a King Tiger on the bench, too. This Tiger I is inspiring--got any more pictures of it lately?
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think there is a King Tiger on the bench, too. This Tiger I is inspiring--got any more pictures of it lately?

Yes.
I finally went out & bought a hobby hand drill lol !! You need one for these metal tracks!!
One side of the tracks done. This model is going to be really heavy when it's done lol !!
I opted to paint a desert Tiger I from Tunisia.I have 5 other Tiger I models but not a single desert one.
As you can see I started the dark brown MIG wash on the outside. Painted the tools. I will concentrate on getting the tracks put together & painted before I move on.

I have another set of metal tracks that I am putting on a Dragon Jagdtiger when I get around to it.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 06:38 AM UTC
Ahhhhhhh, progress. Progress is good! Coming together, David!
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahhhhhhh, progress. Progress is good! Coming together, David!

Thx guys!
I was getting frustrated without the new hand drill. Now that I have one, it kinda put the "fun" back into track building. I believe the hardest part is going to be getting the chipping correct on the tiger, since there were sandstorms & such in the desert. Just like "sandblasting".
But, I will give it a go.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 12:50 AM UTC
So here's my new hand drill & bits. .022 to .025 - $17 CAD

I started using the thin wire that came with the tracks, until they just "fell out". So I started using .025 wire, works much better. Bought my wire at a arts & crafts supply store.- $4

So I would put together 4 track pieces at a time, use a dab of CA glue to hold wire in, then connect them all together after I had enough made.

I quickly learn t that you can not bend the center teeth because they will break when bending them back. Very fragile. You also can not put open flame to the tracks because they will "melt" , lol, yes...the white metal will melt with open flame low temps.I made this mistake while attempting to burn off the excess CA glue. BEWARE !! lol

Forgot to mention, the Early Academy Tiger I w/interior kit cost $35 CAD. The Late Academy Tiger I w/interior + Zimmerit cost's $56 CAD . I will probably buy the late version as well + metal tracks, but I have to finish this one first lol.
My goal is to put on display "all" my build's at my local "fall fair" & "Summer fair". Get the local kids interested in modeling. So I will probably end up doing some dif models, cartoon characters. Stuff kids can relate too as well.
Dundas Valley Hobby carries a wide variety of models. TV show models, cartoon characters etc....
I also want to include a Dieppe & Omaha diorama. Almost like telling the WW 2 story through models.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 09:11 AM UTC
Update:
Thank GOD I am done putting the metal tracks on!! That took a long dam time!
Here's a picture. Now, paint them & continue on.

Some more pix with top on.

PSS- I have another set of Friul metal tracks going on my Dragon Jagdtiger , hope they go together faster then this set.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 11:31 AM UTC
Looks good with the new shoes!
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 11:57 AM UTC
It looks really nice. Show more of the figures so we can see what they are doing.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks really nice. Show more of the figures so we can see what they are doing.

Those are the academy figures, I forgot to take them off before the picture. lol They will be going onto their Hetzer.
Not sure what figures I will use but probably Alpine crewman.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 02:17 AM UTC
update:
I painted the tracks rusty enamel color. I took 2 automotive rattle can paints, one was blue, the other was red. Mixed them together in a container [by spraying them into plastic container] , added some mineral spirits & vola ! Rust color enamel..brushed on.
I will then be applying acrylic paints & pigments on top of that. Stay tuned.
 _GOTOTOP