_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4A3 (dry stowage) questions
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 05:44 AM UTC
Many years ago, as Dragon started to release their updated Sherman kits, I decided to become a Shermaholic. I started to collect kits and references and even got a few Tasca kits. A few years later and many dollars poorer, I have finally come to the conclusion that my desire to make all the major variants is a pipe dream. Purchase of the Son of Sherman Vol. 1 finally convinced me that the only right way to do it is to build a separate model of each of the 50,000 produced (and even then there would be multiples as different vehicles changed over their lifetimes.) Sigh. OK, I've come to terms with that.

Still, is it too much to ask for a dedicated kit of an M4A3 (dry stowage) as they appeared in France in the early summer of 1944? Seems like that would be fairly popular! Nevertheless, I've never seen one. So I've come to the conclusion that a kit-bash is the only way. Thus, my questions to the veteran Shermaholics on this site.

I figure I'd need to start with an M4 or M4A2 kit and add A3 engine deck, rear hull, etc. parts. Can anyone out there give me any ideas what specific kit(s) I should use to lessen the pain (as much as possible) of getting two kits to build one? I do have a Tamiya M4A3 Frontline Breakthrough kit that is surplus to requirement since Dragon did theirs, so I could use that. Also, what units used that vehicle at the time?

Upon your answers depend whether I'm going to take this on or continue to wait for the great day of someone actually doing this kit. I look forward to hearing from you, and thanks!

Michael
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 05:55 AM UTC
Hi Michael .. I agree we could use an earlier M4A3 , but Most of them were kept in the US for training and only appeared in Europe as replacement vehicles around the time of the Battle of the Bulge.. Same thing in the Pacific .
The fight for Normandy was done with the M4 and M4A1s (U.S. forces of course)with the M4A3 wet showing up in the fall.

Rick
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 07:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Still, is it too much to ask for a dedicated kit of an M4A3 (dry stowage) as they appeared in France in the early summer of 1944?

See page 97 of your Sherman book.

MP Models made a decent upper hull conversion for the Tamiya M4A3(75)W that is probably the best place to start. Alternatively, Tank Workshop made conversion parts (for the Tamiya M4, IIRC) that would also work.

The main problem with the Tasca kits is that they don't represent the M4A3 glacis and hood configuration. Again in the Sherman book, compare Figure SH-9 with Figure SH-12. (By a weird quirk the Tamiya M4 isn't a bad start because it has the wrong glacis configuration for an M4 - that of an M4A4 - which is very close to that of the M4A3.)

KL
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 07:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Still, is it too much to ask for a dedicated kit of an M4A3 (dry stowage) as they appeared in France in the early summer of 1944?

See page 97 of your Sherman book.

MP Models made a decent upper hull conversion for the Tamiya M4A3(75)W that is probably the best place to start. Alternatively, Tank Workshop made conversion parts (for the Tamiya M4, IIRC) that would also work.

The main problem with the Tasca kits is that they don't represent the M4A3 glacis and hood configuration. Again in the Sherman book, compare Figure SH-9 with Figure SH-12. (By a weird quirk the Tamiya M4 isn't a bad start because it has the wrong glacis configuration for an M4 - that of an M4A4 - which is very close to that of the M4A3.)

KL

Kurt,

So if I have a Tamiya M4 hull to bash with parts from their M4A3, that might be the way to go?

Michael
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 09:50 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

To make an early M4A3 you could start with the Tamiya M4 upper hull, fill in the weld "trenches" , and replace the radio pot with one for the A3. (I happen to have these over on Shapeways available as 3D resin prints...)

You also need to add plastic to change the angle at the rear of the hull, and add the rounded lower edge at the back. The engine deck has an odd front part (between the hatches and the turret) that isn't in the Tamiya M4A3 - you get one in the MP hull kit, or there is one available in resin from Mike Kalbfleish at Click2Detail.

Here's one I'm currently building from the Tamiya lower hull and MP upper, as a DV-hull rebuilt into an M32B3 TRV.

A full kit would be lovely, but with Tasca running out of Sherman "steam" and DML never putting much effort into their Allied kits, I doubt we'lll see one very soon.

Hope this helps!

Tom
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 10:54 AM UTC
As Kurt Said, Probably the closest place to start is the Tamiya M4. You will need to do a little rework of the front plate, but it’s close as is.

Cut the rear deck and rear upper hull plate from your spare M4A3 wet hull. Some modification will need to be done to the most forward rear plate, or order the one from click2detail.

You will also need an early cast Differential cover as Ford didn’t use the 3 piece differentials.

I’m getting ready to start an M4A3 Dry over in this group build. Might be worth keeping an eye on.

http://the-sherman-shop.freeforums.net/thread/196/tamiya-sherman-group-build-starts
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 12:35 PM UTC
Will Michael I do understand that it would be nice to have Kit of a Dry Stowage A3, But as they say there is more then one way to skin that cat.

Below are some Pics of my current M4A3DS. They kind of speak for them selves. I did find the way a tackled the conversion was easy and a lot of fun. Please feel free to ask any questions.

I hope this help and good luck...I think you should do it.
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 02:23 PM UTC
Eric, I don't think you should ever paint that thing. It's so purdy to look at
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Below are some Pics of my current M4A3DS. They kind of speak for them selves. I did find the way a tackled the conversion was easy and a lot of fun. Please feel free to ask any questions.

What's grey on the front of the turret?

KL
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 05:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It appears to be welded on sections of armour. With a cheek applique piece welded on over that.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As Kurt Said, Probably the closest place to start is the Tamiya M4.

Actually I didn't say that (I said the MP Models hull was best) but it is acceptable.

KL
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It appears to be welded on sections of armour. With a cheek applique piece welded on over that.

Wasn't this one "strengthened" at the Ordnance Depot by welding chunks of another Sherman turret on, complete with the cheek applique? Pretty cool-looking cannibalism...
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As Kurt Said, Probably the closest place to start is the Tamiya M4.

Actually I didn't say that (I said the MP Models hull was best) but it is acceptable.

KL

Well, Ok, but good luck finding one. The Tamiya M4 kit is the closest currently available. Tank Workshop does make a conversion for the Tamiya M4, but I have never seen one so I can’t comment on the quality.
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 04:48 AM UTC
I have one.
Dan
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 06:26 AM UTC
If anyone has the MP Models M4A3, I would like to see some good pictures of the front plate and drivers hoods if you would like to share.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 09:23 AM UTC
Hi John,

I reviewed it here, complete with pics next to the Tamiya & Tasca hulls.

Tom
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 12:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi John,

I reviewed it here, complete with pics next to the Tamiya & Tasca hulls.

Tom

Tom, Thanks! I'll have to keep an eye out for one.
 _GOTOTOP