Hosted by Darren Baker
Civilian Opel Blitz (Tamiya, 1/35)
stratox
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 06:25 AM UTC
While cleaning out my office a few months ago I came across a Tamiya Opel Blitz truck. I decided to take it from the "stash area" to the "bench area". With the holidays these past weeks I've made some progress. This is my first time building the Tamiya kit and it goes together with one major issue.

When I reopened the box there was a little note I had left myself. " Headlights Missing, used on other kit. Find replacements..." So with that, this will be a Civilian Opel Blitz - without headlights.

When I decided to go civilian, I had to decide on colors. A odd teal color mix with a white roof with Vallejo colors was applied to the cab. Red wheel hubs (Gunze), and a black chassis also using Vallejo once again. Some light chipping and rust effects were applied on the cab with Vallejo 70822/70862 & a 12/0 brush.

AK Interactive washes applied to details with a very light coat of Humbrol 72 airbrushed for the first layer of dust.

:-H

Full set of images.
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjQdL4RA
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 07:16 AM UTC
Great work! I like the choice of civy colors. I tried something similar with the Italeri Mercades but was not as pleased with the outcome as with yours!

What plans for the color of the load box? More teal blue or woodgrain?
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 08:49 AM UTC
Very nice! That is a cool looking truck. Nice work.

Jeff
stratox
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 09:58 AM UTC
Thanks Gents, I'm not too sure on the box. I'm experimenting with a non-painted weathered deck inside with the outside will have some type of faded paint.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:18 PM UTC
Nice to see this painted as a civilian truck ... would add some colour to dio or vignette. What are your plans for this?
stratox
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice to see this painted as a civilian truck ... would add some colour to dio or vignette. What are your plans for this?

Not too sure. I'm thinking it will be a junkyard hauler. Something like a European "Sanford & Sons". I jut need to find some junk to put in the back. Anyone have any suggestions?
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not too sure. I'm thinking it will be a junkyard hauler. Something like a European "Sanford & Sons". I jut need to find some junk to put in the back. Anyone have any suggestions?

Immediately after the war, the reconstruction of Germany created a big market for ex-army trucks.
I have seen photo's with Mercedes and Opel frames, changed into a rolling vegetable store. Possible with the AM boxes etc. Since many of these trucks were 'victim' of the wishes and/or needs of their new owners, all sorts of cargo boxes were created.
I myself was, as a very young kid, very impressed by an ex USA half track with a dragline on its back!
stratox
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Immediately after the war, the reconstruction of Germany created a big market for ex-army trucks.
I have seen photo's with Mercedes and Opel frames, changed into a rolling vegetable store. Possible with the AM boxes etc. Since many of these trucks were 'victim' of the wishes and/or needs of their new owners, all sorts of cargo boxes were created.
I myself was, as a very young kid, very impressed by an ex USA half track with a dragline on its back!

Thanks. This sounds interesting. Do you have any reference photos to share?
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 01:09 AM UTC
Hi Clarke,

Just google for

" Deutschland nachkriegszeit bilder" or try " deutsche lkw 1945". Just go for the pictures and you may find some very fine examples. Some of them unchanged, loaded with debries ( by the very many women) and even a Mercedes L4500 for a well known German detergent producer! Also, I saw a small Opel Blitz with a planked structure, with nice red/white (?) striping in use by a road construction cie as a mobile office/shelter.
In the German TV series "Heimat" an ex-Heeres Opel Blitz was used by a coal dealer.

Certainly, you will find heaps of inspiration.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 02:40 AM UTC
Slice off the 'Opel Blitz' logo and make a Chevy one, and put it the USA. BTW, weren't the civilian headlights the same as military ones without the blackout covers?
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 03:40 AM UTC
I love the colour scheme
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 04:15 AM UTC
COOOOLLL!!!! I love it.
J
stratox
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 05:40 PM UTC
Thanks Paul. Just what I needed. I also got some great ideas for some other projects. One thing I just can't figure out is the number plates.

I just finished the load box. I'll post some shots as soon as I can.
stratox
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 06:41 AM UTC
Progress continues on the Opel. The load box is coming together nicely. I started with my standard primer of Mr Surfacer 1200 with a base coat of Gunze H321 Light Brown with a light over spray of a dirty light/medium gray mix of Tamiya gray. This gave me the look of medium aged wood with some fresh wood peeking through. I then highlighted out some planks with various brown /yellow oil paints. After all of this dried for 24 hours I sealed it all with Alclad acrylic clear gloss.

Being this truck would be a refurbished post war truck I needed to paint the bed some type of color. First a very light spray of hairspray for the chipping layer. After with my Iwata HP-BCS airbrush I thinned down some Tamiya Flat Green with lacquer thinner (1:2) from my big box home improvement store. More economical than buying the Tamiya equivalent. Lacquer thinner gives the paint a much better surface finish. I spay the first of three coats of green on very lightly. This will ensure that chipping with be very light and easy.

Chipping was done with some room temp water with a few stiff brushes and a toothpick. After I got the look that I wanted a light coat of Testors dull-cote to seal the chips.

A wash mix of AK Interactive browns was applied and then sealed with Testors clear flat.

Attention was then given to the underside of the bed. The rear fenders were left off till painted. A Vallejo Black and German grey mix was airbrushed underside. Chipping was done with Vallejo as the rest of the model.

With the details painted and attached to the bed I airbrushed the first layer of underside dust. Humbrol 72 and lacquer thinner. After a few ours of drying I had attached the load box to the rear chassis.

The cab need a bit more detail. Some chrome was applied to the hood and doors. A good 12/0 brush and some Testors chrome did the trick.

I had realized I damaged the top of the doors somehow while initially building. So this just would not look quite right. There is a bit of a gap at the top of each. Let just say they got damaged while cleaning up after the war. The drivers window was cut and removed to simulate it in it's lowered state. Some windshield wiper mask applied for the last dust layer to be applied, were created and saved from my last Opel build.

As this being a civilian truck it need some license plates. After a quick internet search I found a few via Google Images. Printed and standard white paper and sealed with future. I'm not sure if they are period correct, but they look good to me.

A bit more to do with this project . Dust, pigments and a bit of mud to be applied. Still not sure that the load will be. Suggestions always welcome.
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 07:19 AM UTC
Sehr schön!
rotxxyyzz
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 01:01 AM UTC
lookin' good
HEINE-07
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 05:31 PM UTC
Well, you are so good with wood, Stratox, you might consider a load of dimensional lumber like a stack of 2X10's in the box…or a pile of rough and rotten fence-posts, each with a dirty clump of cement at the end of each post, and lotsa dirt crumbs arrayed locally by the dirty ends. Shovels, saws, axe, and a tool-box, and water jug, too. Maybe a simple pallet of bricks is more to your designer character. Maybe a few bales of green hay, with a doggie perched atop, and some seed-sacks, would touch off your LKW.

O.K., so, you seal the grey-brown wood color with clear gloss, and then what--cover this with hair-spray? I know I read this…but, let me articulate in my thoughts, just what this does. Hmmm…the hair spray must be very 'brittle' and non-adhesive--right? Then, after over-painting with green, the area is scuffed in various touches, to reveal the underlying grey-brown wood. Right, got that. And the whole scuff and chipping work is then sealed with Testors Dullcote. Here is my question: Is this Testors Dullcote durable enough to keep the underlying hairspray--still underlying all the green--is this Dullcote durable enough to keep the green down without blistering and blowing away like dust in the wind? I guess I may have to try this to see, but I am interested to hear you elaborate a little more.

Thank-you for sharing this fine work with us, Stratox.
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 08:30 PM UTC
Very nice Blitz, It looks like it could be driving around West Germany in the 1950's

Impressive
stratox
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, you are so good with wood, Stratox, you might consider a load of dimensional lumber like a stack of 2X10's in the box…or a pile of rough and rotten fence-posts, each with a dirty clump of cement at the end of each post, and lotsa dirt crumbs arrayed locally by the dirty ends. Shovels, saws, axe, and a tool-box, and water jug, too. Maybe a simple pallet of bricks is more to your designer character. Maybe a few bales of green hay, with a doggie perched atop, and some seed-sacks, would touch off your LKW.

O.K., so, you seal the grey-brown wood color with clear gloss, and then what--cover this with hair-spray? I know I read this…but, let me articulate in my thoughts, just what this does. Hmmm…the hair spray must be very 'brittle' and non-adhesive--right? Then, after over-painting with green, the area is scuffed in various touches, to reveal the underlying grey-brown wood. Right, got that. And the whole scuff and chipping work is then sealed with Testors Dullcote. Here is my question: Is this Testors Dullcote durable enough to keep the underlying hairspray--still underlying all the green--is this Dullcote durable enough to keep the green down without blistering and blowing away like dust in the wind? I guess I may have to try this to see, but I am interested to hear you elaborate a little more.

Thank-you for sharing this fine work with us, Stratox.

Thanks Rick and Steven,

The basic process for hairspray chipping is:

Primer
Chipping Base cote
Dull cote
Hairspray
Top cote

The hairspray is somewhat of a sacrificial layer that when water is applied to the area the paint will absorb the water and the hairspray will then left off the top cote and revels the chipping layer.

The dull cote is just one layer of protection so that you have a degree of separation between the layers. It's very easy to remove all of paint with hairspray chipping, so the dull cote protects and gives the hairspray something to grab on too. I've noticed that if I do not airbrush a layer of dull cote before the hairspray. The chipping is not as finely controlled and gives me larger areas of chipping. One note is that I usually put down at least 3 cotes of dull cote. Very thin and very light.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:08 AM UTC
I love those "civilianised" military trucks and yours is beautifuly executed!

Ofcourse you'd still need some headlights for a civilian use truck unless it'd not be used on public roads, say an internal transport truck for a large plant. Of course now the lights might be whatever type you can find, being non standardized equipment

Cheers,
Greg
stratox
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 06:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I love those "civilianised" military trucks and yours is beautifuly executed!

Ofcourse you'd still need some headlights for a civilian use truck unless it'd not be used on public roads, say an internal transport truck for a large plant. Of course now the lights might be whatever type you can find, being non standardized equipment

Cheers,
Greg

Thanks Greg, I've kinda shelved this project to make way for another. ( just what modelers do...lol )

I have a simple load that I may do and well as some blackout headlights I found. I guess I'm still looking for some full headlights. I might try the aftermarket world for those.
HEINE-07
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 04:58 PM UTC
Thanks for the run-down on all the layering. I have coated over paint only when a color turns out too glossy for some reason. You open my mind, Stratox, to new possibilities.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 04:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Greg, I've kinda shelved this project to make way for another. ( just what modelers do...lol )

I have a simple load that I may do and well as some blackout headlights I found. I guess I'm still looking for some full headlights. I might try the aftermarket world for those.

Clarke,
For full headlights I'd recomend ELF models Headlights. They come with a housing, pressed metal bezel, clear bulb and lens, different diameters, they have a "generic" set and "russian AFV" one.

Aaand dont get me started on shelving projects, last year I have finished one model, first since 2009 and have at least a dozen half built and painted shelf queens. This is not fun at all.

Cheers,
Greg
stratox
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Clarke,
For full headlights I'd recomend ELF models Headlights. They come with a housing, pressed metal bezel, clear bulb and lens, different diameters, they have a "generic" set and "russian AFV" one.

Aaand dont get me started on shelving projects, last year I have finished one model, first since 2009 and have at least a dozen half built and painted shelf queens. This is not fun at all.

Cheers,
Greg

Thanks for the info on ELF. I'll search around for a supplier. Anyone in the US or NA carry these?

I quote Jay-Z: I think it best my most modelers.

I got a million ways to get it, choose one
Bring it back, bring it back
Now double your money and make a stack

I'm on to the next one, on to the next
I'm on to the next one, on to the next...

Jay-Z - On To The Next One Lyrics
 _GOTOTOP