_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya 1/35 JGSDF Type10
hummingbird
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 04:37 AM UTC
Hello there beautiful people.

This is my first finished kit to greet the new year with. I will be greeting the new year with a newly finished Type 10, one of the recent offering from Tamiya. Released in September 2013, this kit is very beautifully moulded with moulded-on antislips, clear plastic sheets ( as usual from Tamiya ) and rubber tracks.

I painted this gal in Tamiya JGSDF Dark Green and a mix of JGSDF Brown and normal Brown. A lot of references seemed to show hard edge patterns, I did the green first and masked it off and applied the brown. I just followed the pattern from the instructions. I wanted to exercise artistic license and went for a what-if winter scheme but since I have already made the Type90 in that way, I just decided to keep it factory scheme.

I debated on how to weather it, mainly snows and mud but I realize I have to build more dusty builds as practice so I decided to keep the weathering to a dusty appearance. I didn't do it all dusty ( like my Leclerc) just a moderate amount of dust. The dust was applied first with two layer of oil wash and brushing pigments on top after that.

Here's some photos -

Well, that's about as much I can sum up about the build. More informations and more photos ( many more) can be found on my blog -
http://modeller-innovation.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/tamiya-135-jgsdf-type10.html
Please do have a look and thank you so much in advance for any feedback you guys may have.

Until the next launch .
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 01:28 PM UTC
Gary - The pictures look a little bright so it's hard to tell, but it looks like you might benefit from a dark pin wash of the panel lines. It would help bring put some of the details and add dimension to the tank.
hummingbird
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gary - The pictures look a little bright so it's hard to tell, but it looks like you might benefit from a dark pin wash of the panel lines. It would help bring put some of the details and add dimension to the tank.

Hi Bob... I actually did pin was but you are right.. They have become nearly invisible. I went a little bit overboard with the oils and pigment when doing the dust and it just went away

as you can see here. I'm still quite weak at panel lines and controlling my habit to go habit with subsequent layers of washes and stuffs ..

Thanks for your comment... I definitely have to improve my skills on the pin wash
tankglasgow
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 10:47 PM UTC
Gary, just saw your second post of the tank before you let rip with the oils and pastels and there does seem to be a lot more definition to the panel lines and details. I am certainly no expert at painting but perhaps when doing the oil and pastels it could be an idea to go gently and build the effect up slowly. do a wee bit and walk away for half an hour and then come back to it and reappraise what you've done. It's great fun doing the weathering and also very easy to get carried away with it. I'm sure we've all done it and learned. The rubber skirts look good, very convincing.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 11:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bob... I actually did pin was but you are right.. They have become nearly invisible. I went a little bit overboard with the oils and pigment when doing the dust and it just went away

Oh, I so know that trick all too well! I still sometimes find myself having to go back and carefully redo panel lines after weathering. Like Paul said, it's so easy to overdo it.
 _GOTOTOP