Low fly by
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:31 AM UTC
Hello everyone ,

this diorama is from a year ago , it depicts a Mirage 5 BA jet fighter passing low over the Ardennes forest early 1990.

The model is scale 1:72 , having the identifications of the No 8 squadron based at Bierset. The Manufacturer is PJ production. The color pattern is the Vietnam type camouflage after 1980.( Tan ,Dark Green , Light Green on all surfaces )

Now the story ;

some young people are camping near the banks of a river in the Ardennes region. They are sleeping in the tent. At dawn they are suddenly awakaned by the swelling noise of an approaching jet , to late for looking......

Thanks for watching !

Greets,
Kurt
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:44 AM UTC
Very well done, but I think you will get more feedback if you post this on Aeroscale.
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very well done, but I think you will get more feedback if you post this on Aeroscale.

Thank you , but this is a diorama and i dont know if they would like it on Aeroscale??

Greets
Kurt
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you , but this is a diorama and i dont know if they would like it on Aeroscale??

Great idea and very well executed, the Aeroscale crew will love it Kurt !

Cheers, D
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 03:18 AM UTC

Superb show Kurt!! Well done indeed! Nice photographs too!!
Congratulations m8!

These guys have "impressed" on me more than once!

Cheers

Romain

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 03:29 AM UTC
An amusing touch could be a naked girl bathing in the stream and trying to cover up!
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 03:38 AM UTC
Well done Kurt,

You managed to make the support for the plane (there should be one) invisible, at least on the photos.

Not long after this, low flying was forbidden.

Claude
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 04:28 AM UTC
Yes!!! Nicely done buddy.
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 07:13 AM UTC
Thank you Matt , Damian , Romain , Biggles 2 , Claude and Jerry for the kind words.

@ Damian , thank you very much for looking in . It is a great honor!

@ Romain , i'm glad you like it m8. Can you imagine that these airplanes had no radar . The pilots where experts in navigation using a simple map and compass.

@ Biggles 2, yeah.....uuh.....the lady stayed in the tent she hase a cold ...Belgian weather you know

@ Claude , the airplane is attached on a thin iron wire that is hidden among the trees in a Sort of S shape.As you can see in the pictures taken from the other side.

Thanks for asking the question , by the way

@ Jerry , thanks buddy for the reply !
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 08:33 AM UTC
Hi Kurt - looks great! To echo the others...very clever way to hold that jet!

Nick
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 09:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Kurt - looks great! To echo the others...very clever way to hold that jet!

Nick

Thanks Nick for the compliments . Indeed i've seen to many beautiful in-flight dioramas be ruined because the models where attached in the middle with a transparant tube . This could be a solution to avoid (killing) a model airplane or diorama.

Greets,
Kurt
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 12:01 AM UTC
Hi everyone ,

the Mirage pulled up to fly at a higher altitude , i have some pictures to show .

Low fly by and the chase these two dioramas are no longer present . I just kept the base of the last one of the two and added the jet on the cloud .

This is the result ,

Thanks for watching ,
Kurt
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
Armorama: 190 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 03:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Greets
Kurt

Of course we like it!!!

I still remember these planes roaring over our house.

A pity that they are all gone
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 05:16 AM UTC
Hi Kurt,
As always, it's great to see you spinning your unique ideas. Very cool! ... Very cool!

Cheers!🍺
—mike
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 08:08 AM UTC
Up to your usual cool stuff I see !!
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 11:40 AM UTC
Thanks guys ,

@ Drabslab , yes i'm missing the roaring sound of these birds too .One could here the approaching jet from a large distance giving you enough time to spot him in the air . That beautifull silhouette in the sky , o man .

@ mike , as always thank you for checking out . Appreciated .

@ Jerry , yes sir just the last one for the moment . I'll keep the base though , will using it for airplane display and future projects going from early planes to modern jets .

Kurt .
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 03:08 PM UTC
I have a few more pictures to end this Topic ,

Thanks everyone for watching . I'll make more similar displays in the future .

Kurt
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 03:23 PM UTC
Hi Kurt, great work as usual - seems we were thinking along similar lines with scales & aircraft, you long before me! These last pics are even better, love it.

Another area that’s been under-explored is water, specifically underwater. Here’s an idea if you’re looking for a new challenge – Duplex Drive Shermans on D-Day sunk & sinking with crews emerging from hatches/swimming to the surface...as seen from the sea-bed. Another awful episode under-commemorated to my knowledge - challenging photography & lighting through all that acrylic/resin...or is there a better way? Reckon you da man
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Kurt, great work as usual - seems we were thinking along similar lines with scales & aircraft, you long before me! These last pics are even better, love it.

Another area that’s been under-explored is water, specifically underwater. Here’s an idea if you’re looking for a new challenge – Duplex Drive Shermans on D-Day sunk & sinking with crews emerging from hatches/swimming to the surface...as seen from the sea-bed. Another awful episode under-commemorated to my knowledge - challenging photography & lighting through all that acrylic/resin...or is there a better way? Reckon you da man

Hi Tim , thanks for the reply and the good comments on my diorama of course .

A new challenge you'd say ? I like your suggestion about a tankcrew emerging out of their sunken tank. It reminds me of the movie '' The perfect storm'' where the crew of a rescue helicopter were struggling to get out after it splashed into the sea.

But fact is that many of the surviving tankcrews climbed out before the tank sunk , they were standing on the hull while the tank was sinking to the bottom. To those who were still inside the tank when it hit the sea bottom couldn't unlock and open up the hatches due to the heavy water pressure , the weight of the water in fact . they were trapped and unfortunately drowned . At least let me think about it for a while , i have so many ideas to create new dioramas and i have still the figures of my other project called Omaha Beach ...

Kurt
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:33 PM UTC
Great idea, and perfectly executed!
I like these ulterior type dioramas.
Well done Kurt, thanks!

Regards Dave
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 11:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great idea, and perfectly executed!
I like these ulterior type dioramas.
Well done Kurt, thanks!

Regards Dave

Thanks Dave i'm glad you like it and thanks again for the positive words .
Kurt
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 12:01 AM UTC
No problema amigo I'm glad you brought it back up to the top of the list. Makes one want to try something similar.

On the campground flyby, would it have been too far off to have any slight engine exhaust or vapor trail or whatever, maybe a wisp of cotton off the wingtips, I don't know.

Really like simple yet effective designs, producing nice results, like this one. I mean the higher altitude pics look like real in flight shots.

Regards Dave
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 05:31 PM UTC
But fact is that many of the surviving tankcrews climbed out before the tank sunk , they were standing on the hull while the tank was sinking to the bottom. To those who were still inside the tank when it hit the sea bottom couldn't unlock and open up the hatches due to the heavy water pressure , the weight of the water in fact . they were trapped and unfortunately drowned . At least let me think about it for a while , i have so many ideas to create new dioramas and i have still the figures of my other project called Omaha Beach ...

Kurt[/quote]

Good point Kurt, there must be a better subject out there – I just thought a dio completely within a big block of acrylic/resin would be an interesting challenge (but not one I’m up for)...as you’re thinking around La Manche how about Glenn Miller’s Beechcraft discovered?
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 11:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No problema amigo I'm glad you brought it back up to the top of the list. Makes one want to try something similar.

On the campground flyby, would it have been too far off to have any slight engine exhaust or vapor trail or whatever, maybe a wisp of cotton off the wingtips, I don't know.

Really like simple yet effective designs, producing nice results, like this one. I mean the higher altitude pics look like real in flight shots.

Regards Dave

Hi Dave ,

yes a vapor trail on the wings would add very much to the scene . Good point there . The engine exhaust is a little bit difficult to simulate , i have to think about how to do it because using cotton wool on the exhaust would give the effect of a jet with a burning engine in my opinion .

The base is just a bord with styrofoam glued on it and a layer of compound filler . After that i've used paint to create a landscape and some kind of sponge in very small pieces to simulate the woods . Anyone can create such scene very easy to do and the effect works really well .
Thanks again for your reply .

Kurt
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 11:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kurt

Good point Kurt, there must be a better subject out there – I just thought a dio completely within a big block of acrylic/resin would be an interesting challenge (but not one I’m up for)...as you’re thinking around La Manche how about Glenn Miller’s Beechcraft discovered? [/quote]

You can use the idea like a ''What if situation '' ? Or something like that ? I don't have the right Mojo for the moment to create another airplane diorama , to be honest i'm planning or lets say thinking about a scene with figures on big scale 1/16 . The theme would be Spartacus .

Thanks for the the reply and thoughts Tim , appreciated.

Kurt
 _GOTOTOP